Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza: Plate Setter vs Fire Bricks

Stuart
Stuart Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've become pretty comfortable with making pizza on the egg. We have it almost every weekend, time permitting. I currently cook on firebricks in a Z arrangement topped by pizza stones. While I seem to have a handle on the overall bake, I regularly have hot spots on the bottom of my crust. I assume this is because of the firebricks. Either the ceramic mass of two ends of the brick meeting (corner of the Z) or the same corner channels heat to a dead end where it concentrates.[p]I'm beginning to wonder if a plate setter might help in this problem? Any pizza eggsperts want to relate some experience?[p]Thanks, Stuart

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Stuart,[p]A plate setter would solve your problem, however a second pizza stone set directly on the first would also solve your problem.[p]Cooking pizza on the plate setter involves placing a pizza stone on the setter, thus doubled mass. The lower stone can heat unevenly and the upper (cooking) stone heats mainly from the dome.[p]Spin

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Stuart,[p]Ditto to Spin's reply.[p]Puj

• Dean
    Dean Posts: 29
    Spin,
    What is a plate setter? I'm new to the egg - just got it yesterday. I want to try the pizza soon.
    (Saw you on the video.)

• Spin
    Dean,[p]The "plate setter" is a kiln stone with three legs molded into it (spacing it up) used to fire ceramics. JJ's wonderful wife convinced him to try one. It worked. BGE has since produced a model that much better fits the large Egg. Currently BGE only provides a setter for the large Egg. We have been wanting to rename it for some time.[p]Pizza on your Egg requires several things. You first must be able to insert and remove the pie. Spacing the cooking surface up to just above the opening lip greatly eases this process. The setter does the job as does firebricks.[p]Feel free to email me,[p]Spin[p]

• Stuart
    Stuart Posts: 110
    Spin,[p]Already usingn two stones, guess I'll try the Plate Setter.[p]Thanks, Stuart
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    pizza2.jpg
    <p />Stuart,[p]I agree with your assesment![p]Tim
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Spin,[p]Spin's awesome. So are JJ and all the other "Eggsperts" posting on this forum. I won't mention any others except the one Spin mentioned since I know I'll forget someone...but you know who you are :)[p]
    This is, IMHO, the main reason this Forum is so great - all this expert advice from trusted sources.[p]In a fell-good mood,
    Cornfed

• Spin
    Cornfed,[p]My list of "been there done that" is way far shorter than my list of "how can I do this?". Lots to learn here...[p]I tip my favored beverage in your direction for so well stating why this forum is great. Thanks.[p]Spin[p]

• Spin
    Stuart,[p]My apologies for missing that in your post. I would appreciate some more info on the setup you use, ie thickness of pizza stones, size of firebricks, etc. Thanks.[p]Arranging the firebricks in a "Y" pattern under the stones will help in eliminating the trapping of heat.[p]Spin

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    11_25_9906_24_03_small.jpg
    <p />Stuart, that last several pizzas that I have made have used the very traditional '|__|' setup. I have used the 'Z' (http://yyyz.net/bge/images/Pizza_06.jpg) formation and find the bottom is more even when using the traditional setup. The bottom/center seems to cook more evenly without burning.[p]
    [ul][li]Pizza on the BGE[/ul]
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Spin,
    How long does it take for your stones to heat up? I always find that my dome temperature reaches cooking temperature long before my stones are hot enough. Consequently, I end up having to keep the pizzas in the egg for much longer than the prescribed 6 minutes.
    bd

• Spin
    bdavidson,[p]You need to achieve a regulated cooking temp. Hold the heat rise back by limiting the top vent only. I like to preheat the stones by regulating the temp 50-100F above cooking temp as it is faster.[p]A good test of the stone heating is to open your Egg and count for as long as it takes you to insert a pie. Close the dome and open the top wide. Your stones are well heated when the temp rises and you need to regulate in 30-45 seconds.[p]Spin

• bdavidson
    Spin,
    Thanks. When using the ceramic firebox grate, I just take the top off the egg completely, as I have trouble maintaining the temp with Ms. Daisy on (don't have the slide top). That seems to work ok, but I go through quite a bit of charcoal. When I use the cast iron trivet, temps tend to soar, so I will end up having to replace Daisy periodically through the cook. Invariably, until the stones heat up thoroughly, however, I have to keep the pizzas in the egg for a good 10-15 minutes. I must be too anxious to eat and place the pizzas on too early.
    See you in Atlanta!
    brad

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Pizza_06_21_0018_03_01.jpg
    <p />bdavidson, if you have an extra (or broken) firebrick, try using it to regulate the top vent instead of the daisy - a tip that Spin sent me in the past. In the picture you can see the firebrick covering about 1/2 the opening.

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • bdavidson
    Gfw,
    Hey! That's a great idea. Thanks. Why didn't I think of that?!!
    bd