Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Camping with Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sounds like we're going to be doing a lot of traveling this year - starting soon for a couple of weeks at a time. Don't have the small egg, nor do I know if BCM will agree to buy one. In the meantime, it sounds like many on here take them camping, so - has anyone ever experienced a theft problem? How do you do a slow cook, which includes about everything we've cooked on the large, if out hiking and seeing the sights during the day? Don't know that we would feel comfortable leaving it, even for a couple of hours, but people apparently do that - so how do you secure the egg so some miscreant doesn't take off with the egg AND your dinner? [p]Just curious, in case he would agree to investing in one for the 5th wheel.[p]GO STEELERS![p][p]

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Bear (and lion) Country Woman,[p]You know, we've been camping with them for years, and have never had a problem. You go off and hike or fish or kayak, and no one comes along and takes your tent, sleeping bags, etc., etc. I never even gave the cooker much of a thought.[p]I don't do slow cooks if I'm going to be away from camp. I don't leave it unattended, especially in the woods where it could start a forest fire if something went drastically wrong. If I'm going to do a slow cook, that's the day I just plan to kick around the camp, reading a book or writing in a journal, but basically doing things close at hand.[p]We never go camping without at least one egg, and sometimes two![p]Tonia
    :~)

• JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Options
    JimboBQCampsite.jpg
    <p />Bear (and lion) Country Woman,
    This is a pic of our TrailManor camper at Hunting Island State Park. See the egg? It's on a "transporter" I built from plans found on WessBs site.
    We camped quite a few times last spring and summer with our small egg. Never even gave theft a thought. We camp in SC state parks. If you carry it along, be prepared to have lots of other campers stop by. Everyone will want to know what that green thingie is. It's fun sharing food done on the Egg with other campers. I like to think I've helped spread the word about the virtues of the egg while camping.[p]Jimbo

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • Banker John
    Options
    Bear (and lion) Country Woman,
    I take the medium camping with me all the time. Haven't given it the first thought as to theft (guess that is the trusting side of me). Of course, my medium travels in the large egg cart in the back of the pickup and is disassembled and reassembled on site and one would have a hard time loading/stealing the medium in a cart due to the weight.[p]We plan on getting a small this year at the Florida Eggfest in Ocala just for camping.[p]Banker John

• WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    Bear (and lion) Country Woman,
    Last year I bought a small just prior to going camping for two weeks. Enjoyed the opportunity to BBQ while on vaca. Did not even consider theft of the egg, but I guess that that could depend upon your camping location?

• It's probably a moot question, because I don't think I'll have a small. We've had two thefts over the years, so that isn't bad, seeing as how we've camped forever. We don't stay but a few days at any one campsite. Just long enough to tour the country we're in at the time. Was just curious to know if you all leave your eggs out when you are gone from the campsite or stick them in the vehicle - or chain them somehow. [p]Thanks!