Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon help needed....please

Options
I've said before that I'd almost rather have a great piece of salmon than a beef steak...almost. Salmon is literally my second favorite protein. But I can't cook it to save my darn life. I've tried the cedar planks, direct, indirect, in the "inside oven", in my smoker box on the side burner etc etc. I've bought wild caught giant slabs and tiny frozen farm raised filets. It ALWAYS turns out dry like shoe leather. I'm traveling again this week and last night at the event I was attending, they served salmon to over 100 folks from a buffet line using warmers and it was outstanding. Surely I can do this if it can be accomplished for a large crowd using warming trays? Right? I'm obviously overcooking it, but no matter how soon I take it off, it is still not good. Any help (techniques or recipes) from you fish aficionados would be greatly appreciated. This is killing me, it can't be this complicated. Please help, somebody, anybody?
Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    I don't have my salmon brine recipe handy but you can easily find a simple one.  With that I brine the fillets around 3 hours or so, then rinse off the brine and air-dry (to form the pellicle) for another 2 1/2 hrs or so.  Then on to the BGE, indirect (skin side down) at about 250*F on the dome, til the thickest part of the fillet reads around 135*F.  You can serve hot or chill.  Always a winner. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I don't brine mine.  I buy a whole filet if possible (or the largest piece I can).  I cook mine in a rotisserie grill basket that looks like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/qes5uwj

You need to check directions to make sure it will fit - there are several different sizes available.

I cook it direct at around 350 and flip a few times.  I always plan to remove it at 140 IT but sometimes it has gone higher than that and it is still great. Never dry and I get rave reviews every time.  We usually put on some lemon slices and some lemon pepper seasoning.,

If the fish doesn't fit, we fold it over in the grill basket.  We have used filets with skin and some without with the same results.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i would need to go to google to figure this out again but google salmon salt dome. i did this with a brown trout but its good with salmon. cooking whole always comes out moist, salt dome, en papolette, all give moist results. the hard part with grilling is that when it starts to flake your over cooking it and we all watch for it starting to flake

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/817469/salt-crusted-trout-fillet
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/817469/salt-crusted-trout-fillet
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options

Personally, for me, Salmon is like Brisket for fish - I don't brine, and use very little rub and when I do, it has some brown sugar. I cook indirect, skin side down, never flip or turn. I run around 300-350 dome check after 45 minutes to an hour with a fork in the thickest part to see if it "flakes" ...If not , give it another 15 or so.....After your first one you will get a better feel.........That's about all I do and its cooked perfect every time........Don't over think it

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I love salmon too. One of these days, I might even cook some on the egg. But I'm happy with what I get on the stovetop so I haven't egged yet.

Cast iron skillet or griddle, med hi heat, evoo in the pan, season with s&p, skin side up to brown, then skin side down to finish, about 135.

Sometimes served with just a squeeze of lemon, other times with a creamy avocado dressing. Either way, delicious!

There's a good article by Kenji Lopez-Alt on SerioutEats... http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/06/how-to-cook-salmon-pan-fry-fish-food-lab.html

Hope this helps!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Duplicate post.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    As you can see, lots of ways to cook salmon. I cook it every week and it is my family's favorite. Simple brine of 2 qts water and 4 tbls kosher salt. Brine for 20 min. Rinse well and dry. Sprinkle a little Dizzy Duzt Raging River and let it sit for 15-20 min. Cook 400, raised direct, skin side side down for 15-16 min (depending on thickness). No flip, no turn, nothing. Comes out moist and juicy every time.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • ofcman29
    Options

I make salmon at least once a week on the egg.  I cook it on a heated cast iron skillet with direct heat on the skillet.  We usually marinade it in fresh squeezed citrus juice with just a bit of season salt.

It is always awesome!

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    love me some salmon

I like high temp (500) raised direct.  I start flesh side down for just a few minutes (~4) to sear and then flip to skin side down and glaze the top.  I think it stays more moist with high heat and quick cook.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1168970/salmon#latest
  • KSwoll
    KSwoll Posts: 129
    Options
    I cook mine with cedar planks and following Wegman's directions for cooking. I get my egg to 400 Dome and preheat my planks for 10 minutes. I season the salmon with BGE Kodiak River and top it of with a  cracked pepper/ brown sugar mix. Once the planks are preheated I flip them over and place the salmon on top. Then I close the dome and set my timer for 14 minutes. They come out spectacular every time. That's just how I do it though. There are many other tried and true methods that are just as successful.
    XL, Large, Medium, and Mini Max
    Northern Virgina
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options

Lotta folks here can EGG some salmon.  I do mine with Meathead's Memphis Dust rub and EVOO.  Dome temp @ 500 direct, flesh side down to sear it for a few minutes, then turn to skin side down until IT reaches 135.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1169459/seahawks-salmon#latest

Before my egg, I used to poach salmon, which is embarassingly easy.  In a frying pan, pour in about a half inch of water, bring to a boil.  Meanwhile, dust the salmon with a light coat of lemon pepper, put in the pan skin side down and cover.  If you have an instant read thermometer, be very careful to not get steam burns when testing.  I would typically eyeball it, after about 4-5 minutes with an 8-10 oz filet.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

@ksmyrl I echo @legume and @seahawskegghead 's comments. 

Season it with salt and pepper then brush with a nice coat of olive oil.  Set the egg up for direct grilling.  Get the egg to 350.  Add a single chunk of wood, if you want a little smoke flavor.  Grill it flesh side down for 5 minutes.  Flip it.  If it's a big piece, use two spatulas.  Cook about another 5 minutes.  Use a fork to open the thickest part.  If the flesh is opaque, it's done.  You can take the meat right off the skin at this point, if you want.  It should not take more than 10 minutes.

Lots of other ways to season it, too.  One easy thing to do is to brush it with BBQ sauce after it's flipped with the skin side down.  I have a fennel/brown sugar concoction that I like a lot, too --

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1170626/salmon-with-herb-rub-easy

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Here is my go to salmon method:

1 - 1.5lbs salmon fillet (preferably Faroe Island or Norwegian farm raised - they're both fairly fatty)
    Spritz with a 75/25 mix of bourbon & water
    Rub with combo of Dizzy Pig Raging River & Jamaican Firewalk
    Spritz again with B&W to help hold the rub

Egg @ 250, raised indirect, apple & pecan chunks, sometimes alder as well.  Cook for about 2 hours.  Cool, chill in fridge and serve cold.

I cook salmon this way about once a week, turns into 2-3 meals for 2 adults.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    I brine it for about 2 hours, wash it for about 1/2 hour, air dry it for an hour and then cook it at 185 until it hits 135.  The problem is I can't get the Egg down to 185 so I always smoke salmon on a Cookshack - an electric smoker.  The results are unbelievable.  If you can get the Egg to stabilize at that low temp, you should be good

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • EgginATL42
    Options
    I did a cedar salmon tonight. I used a seafood rub I got at Whole Foods, sesame seeds with ginger spice, and a honey ginger soy glaze. 375 for about 15 minutes. It definitely wasn't dry.
    Wear wood ewe hand eye bee width know spill Czech her???
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Everybody got time for Salmon !!  I like cedar plank. Place lemon slices and/or green onions under the salmon to buffer. Indirect 325 until it flakes.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Makes sure you are starting with good quality salmon. Fat content varies widely depending on the type of salmon, where it is from, time of year etc. Most Farm Raised salmon is going to be very fatty, and is cheaper than wild caught - the catered meal you had probably had farm raised so it was moist and stayed that way.

Talk to your fish monger and make sure you are getting good quality fish to start. Coho or Chum will be too dry to start with and won't grill well.  King or Red are best, most expensive and richest wild salmons.  Farm Raised and Atlantic are rich, but more impactful on environment (if that is important to you).

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Thank you all so much. Imagine my surprise when I got back to the hotel room and saw this many comments. I love this forum!! I have several options to try now and all sound awesome, so I can't wait to experiment with these. I work at a University and am good friends with the catering folks. They do a lot of high-end events and they will order me their salmon but I haven't done it yet, mainly because I can't cook it. Plus, I will have to buy a several hundred dollar case of it. Maybe now I can finally cash in on that deal!!

Thanks again.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    How to cook salmon has been covered above throughly. I would like to add one note to the verse If I may. No matter which method you chose to cook it, pull when the internal temp hits 120 degrees. I'm a salmon fanatic, but there is nothing worse than over cooked salmon. Just try it one time and see what you think. The density of salmon is very lacking compared to a pork shoulder or brisket if you will. If you pull at 120 it will still rise into 130ish arena. If you try it please let me know what you think.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    Options
    I try and cook my salmon to 125, but I always seem to go over that slightly.  Using the Thermopen is the key for good results here...  http://www.thermoworks.com/blog/2014/02/recommended-temperatures-seafood/

I like to cook mine raised direct at about 300(gives you more time to get the temp right), skin removed, dusted with raging river rub.  While cooking I will mop each side after the flip with a 50/50 mix of melted butter and maple syrup.  Takes about 15 minutes or so, depending on the thickness of the salmon.

Also, when you buy salmon, try and get a piece that has somewhat even thickness to it.  It you get a piece with thin edges, they will dry out and overcook.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm sorry you've had so much trouble.  I must have just gotten lucky, because I've only done salmon once on the Egg and it was amazing:

The recipe I used is about as simple as it gets - I even cooked it direct.  I did get very good fish from Whole Paycheck.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina‌ "Whole Paycheck" I love it =))
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I think the most important thing to know about salmon is that if it flakes, you already overcooked it.

Here's some science of cooking for ya. First thing that popped up when I giggled it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    @Griffin...haha you said "giggled it". I'm kidding, thanks a ton again, everyone, for the info. I'm not due back home until Sunday night, but I plan to eat salmon on the egg Monday for dinner. Until then I'll enjoy sunny Florida and some Four Roses Small Batch. Work ends tomorrow and the family and I will spend some quality time at the Mouse's house (Disney). Any suggestions on BBQ near Disney are welcomed also.

Later.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Well there you have it. Everything in a nutshell, and I do mean everything. Until you find what works for you, I suggest you cook indirect at a lower temp, <300º. Keep the seasoning and spices simple. 
    All the above suggest skin side down, either for the whole cook or to finish after you've browned the flesh side of a fillet. I suggest you do the whole cook skin side down, don't flip at all. Some lemon slices layered on top will help to keep the flesh moist. The lower the temp of the stable egg, the slower things will happen and the easier it is to get it right. Fish, IMO, goes from underdone to overdone very quickly. Good luck, and if it ain't sockeye it ain't salmon, it's just fish....
    :))
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options

Sick of overcooked salmon.... convert to sushi?

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    We get the skinless salmon from SAMS and its always Great, I cut it into 4 to 5 inch wide fillets and I have a mister filled with EVOO and do both  sides and switch between Raging River and Old Bays 350 direct. Its our typical Sunday Dinner.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • alabamatom
    Options
    One more comment, I agree with CarolinaQ, only after flipping the salmon I put it in a 450 deg. oven for a couple of minutes or so. Always turns out great, never gets over cooked (maybe sometimes a little under-cooked, but that is OK). The Egg is great for most things, including salmon, but this way you can closely watch it & always have a great meal.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    @ksmyrl yep, said it on purpose. Do it all the time, kind of a joke.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings