Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I am an egg convert

Options
Following the successful restoration of my Cr-egg-slist found LBGE, I had to fire it 225-250 to cure the refractory cement and set the gasket from high-cue (as per their instruction).  Using RO and a chimney starter, I had the egg set to temperature inside of 10 minutes.  Using some various posts from the forum I was able to dial in the temperature first try (petals barely open and the damper cracked about 1 cm.  Despite the 54 degree ambient air, the egg chugged along happily for 4 hours.  Shut it down and let it rest... until I could make the Costco run the next day :)

Costco: 9.89/lb for gorgeous 1.25-1.5" thick ribeye x3.  SPOG (because I haven't got any rubs yet).  Mushrooms sliced, salted, peppered and doused in balsamic (these went on the gasser... where I soon realized the superiority of the egg.

Egg: started coals in starter.  5 minutes and onto the mound of lump. 10 minutes at the egg equivalent of Wide-open-throttle and I was cruising through 600 degrees.. outside air temp, 62 and falling.

Gasser: preheated at same time. 15 minutes later, not past 300.  Damn, the mushrooms had to go on (cast iron flat griddle).  But they really need to go on a bit hotter than that

Back to the egg: throw in a handful of soaked hickory chips (some flat stella cidre and good old H2O).  650 F.  On go the steaks.  2 minutes
Look back at the gasser... throw the mushrooms on and hope for the best.  4 burners on high and I still can't clear 340.
Back to the egg: forgot to burp it.  It was an impressive fireball that got applause from the neighbor and friend, and a shriek from SWMBO.  Flip steaks. 2 minutes. Baked potatoes in (par-cooked in the microwave).
Burp egg. flip steaks after closing damper down to ~2cm and just cracking the petals.  having the lid open for flipping and air temp being low, I was able to sap most of the excess heat, down to ~350.  5 minutes and counting.

Pull steaks, and back open to full tilt.  Take cast iron out of the gasser.  Mushrooms are not done.  Throw them on the egg and let rip, no top and damper wide open.

After a 5 minute rest, the steaks were done, potatoes done, and mushrooms done.

And the taste.... oh mama, the taste.  Perfect mid-rare, mushrooms like candy.  And that was only my first time cooking on charcoal.  A1?? No need.    

I'm in love.  

Comments