Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza: Best Cheese(s)?

Options

I've come to like a blend of Mozarella, Provolone and Monterey Jack with a sprinkle of fresh parm.

What is your go-to cheese strategy?
New Albany, Ohio 

Comments

• Higgy
    Higgy Posts: 35
    Options
    looks good. does bottom of your pizza turn black on the pizza plate? my girls don't like the black, so I have resorted to cooking on a pizza pan on the place setter. Maybe I'm missing something? any suggestions?
    At the end of the day...It's the end of the day!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Fresh ricotta, mozzarella ball or loaf, feta, fresh grated block parmesan. Many others to choose from.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Higgy said:

looks good. does bottom of your pizza turn black on the pizza plate? my girls don't like the black, so I have resorted to cooking on a pizza pan on the place setter. Maybe I'm missing something? any suggestions?

Are you creating a gap between the PS & stone?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Chefs blend pizza cheese from SAMs 50% Moz 50% Prov plus I always add some fresh Parm
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    @Higgy

No. Not black. One side of the stone is blacker than the other. I try to go for a light marbled black and a little crunch. 

It also crunches up nicely with a 5 minute reheat in the oven pre-heated to 400. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    I have the platesetter in a PS2 WOO and the grate on top of the Woo. Essentially raised indirect with the stone on the grate. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    I've also gone legs down and some foil to create the gap. I've found the raised indirect more predictable. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    deli mozz (not the fresh), prov, asiago, fontina. if i do parm on a pizza i go straight dry parm out of the green can(its something i grew up with, its called a bakery style pizza, just sauce and dry parm/romano). i also like feta on some pizzas and gorganzola can make a killier pie with a balsamic onion sauce
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Whatever you decide just make sure you get Real Wisconsin Cheese... :-bd
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I used to do a blend of mozzarella, sharp cheddar, romano and asiago. It was delicious!!! Then, doc says I have to watch sat fat and sodium. I haven't even made a pizza in 6 months!

Next one is going to have goat cheese. Just an ounce or two. It's just as unhealthy, but that stuff is so flavorful, I hope a little will go a long way. Won't be the same though. Sigh.........

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    I used to do a blend of mozzarella, sharp cheddar, romano and asiago. It was delicious!!! Then, doc says I have to watch sat fat and sodium. I haven't even made a pizza in 6 months! Next one is going to have goat cheese. Just an ounce or two. It's just as unhealthy, but that stuff is so flavorful, I hope a little will go a long way. Won't be the same though. Sigh.........
    looking at this list goat and gruyere might be an interesting combo, both low in salt compared to others

http://www.chcsno.org/Site/Content/Patient Education Documents/Hypertension/The sodium content for 1 ounce of cheese is.pdf

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Options

I used to do a blend of mozzarella, sharp cheddar, romano and asiago. It was delicious!!! Then, doc says I have to watch sat fat and sodium. I haven't even made a pizza in 6 months!

Next one is going to have goat cheese. Just an ounce or two. It's just as unhealthy, but that stuff is so flavorful, I hope a little will go a long way. Won't be the same though. Sigh.........

looking at this list goat and gruyere might be an interesting combo, both low in salt compared to others

http://www.chcsno.org/Site/Content/Patient Education Documents/Hypertension/The sodium content for 1 ounce of cheese is.pdf

Thanks. Gotta watch the sat fats too, but some of those aren't bad for sodium anyway. Bookmarked!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    fresh mozz, usually the marble sized balls.  smoked gouda slices work really well too

depends on the other ingredients, but goat cheese, some kind of bluish cheese, etc. all work well and sometimes just a big 'ol bag of shreddy mixed cheese
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I have been trying to find 'Brick cheese', a white cheddar from Wisconsin, but have had no luck. Years ago we used to be able to buy it and it was great on pizza. I usually use mozzarella and provolone mix now.
    Options
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Thanks @XC242. I have searched the Internet in vain looking for this. I will be ordering today. Appreciate the quick response.
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I've never made a pie with it, but I've had pizza with Fontina. Excellent!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    $12 bag of mozz from Costco does us just fine here. Lasts 6-8 pizzas easily
    Seattle, WA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Whole milk mozz balls, shredded.  Gets better browning when shredded as opposed to sliced and diced, or torn into pieces.  Real parmesan to finish.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Cheese. Because, well. It's cheese. :) Seriously, it depends on the other ingredients. Traditional red sauce? Fresh moz and parm. Peaches, proscuitto, and pesto? Chèvre. White sauce, Carmelites onions, and chicken? Gouda. The world is your cheesy playgroud. :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy