Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Top sirloin cap?

Options
I stumbled on a conversation a butcher at Costco was having and he was showing this guy these top sirloin caps they had cryovac'd. They were Prime and only 5 bucks a pound so I had to buy them. Now what to do with them? Any thoughts? There are two "roasts" about 2.5lbs each.

Comments

• Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    Options
    Sweet. Thanks for the link. I don't have swords but...
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    This is a very flavorful cut you often see in Brazilian steakhouses- I think you could replicate their cooking technique by going direct and flipping often.
    Greensboro, NC
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I season with Montreal Steak Seasoning, cook indirect at about 350 until 125-130 internal and the sear direct over high heat. Rest, slice, serve... DELICIOUS!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,744
    Options
    if theres a fat cap, picanha. if no fat cap it takes a marinade really well and makes a great thai crying tiger steak
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    if theres a fat cap, picanha. if no fat cap it takes a marinade really well and makes a great thai crying tiger steak
    This. Every time I see it at Costco I grab them and marinate with garlic and soy to make Japanese-style steak. 
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    Good to know.....just got a Costo membership.....an experiment for a year, because I didn't give up my Sam's membership
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    Options

d Thanks for the tip. I don't see a fat cap so that info is definitely useful. Would you grill the piece whole or slice it into smaller steaks
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    My local market has this cut from time to time and they usually remove the fat cap. I've just sliced them like Picanha and cooked them direct like a steak and they always come out great.  Never used a marinade.

I noticed them at my Costco last time but they were already sliced. I didn't have time to speak with the butcher to see if I could get the whole cryovac piece.  Next time I will.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • fishlessman
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Grambler said:

d Thanks for the tip. I don't see a fat cap so that info is definitely useful. Would you grill the piece whole or slice it into smaller steaks
    ive only cooked them whole, they are really good with a favorite marinade, or maybe the morrobayrich santa maria tritip recipe would work, its kinda like a tritip and basting it would go along ways

this was crying tiger, pretty sure this cook was a capimage
    fukahwee maine

• EggObsessed
    Options
    fishlessman:  Would you mind sharing the sauce that you put on top of your Crying Tiger Steak?
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    dry roast the vegatables, then into a blender, the skinney peppers in the middle are dried thai but fresh would work, i change it around from time to time with other ingrediants like pakkaks curry as shown in the bottom recipe, if you add that curry, cook it first when dry roasting

steak marinade is 2 tbls dark soy, 1 tbl fish sauce, 1/2 teasp sugar, good with tri tip or ribey steak

DSC_0072.jpg

6 thai chilis
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup fish sauce
    3 cloves garlic
    16 cherry tomatoes
    1/3 cup lime juice
    4 tbls sugar
    2 tabls pakak hot curry
    bunch of chopped green onions
    fukahwee maine