Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggfest huh? What's it take?

BBQ-BoB
BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well just what does it take to get an eggfest going? Who's a good one to talk with about it?[p]Are more needed? (I know that answer)[p]Thanks[p]Bob

Comments

• bbqBob,
    GrillMeister and Q-Babe are probably two great ones to talk to. I would suggest one of the others that do Waldorff or the Oklahoma Egg Fest, but I don't know who organizes those. Joe

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    bbqBob,[p]Chuckls hosted a small eggfest at his home last spring,about 6 of us made it, and The Outdoor Kitchen had one in Denver last fall, close to two hundred lookers with a couple dozen cookers. I made it to both and had some great food. Chuckls was fighting a flooded basement at the time, but I think I enjoyed that much more than the one in Denver.[p]Give a shout to any eggers in your neck of the woods, grab some beer, food, women and have a social get-together, make it a two day event, so that people can justify a short drive, and have something else to do besides eat.[p]Keep it small and social. JMHO[p]Scott

• sbxl_BGE.jpg
    <p />bbqBob,[p]I know nothing about them, never been to one, however, I would like to attend. I agree about the small and social part that eggor mentioned. WHo knows there may only be 6 eggers in michigan anyway...LOL. [p]I do think you need to have a poster first. Here is one I found, I think it might work well for the Detroit Egg Fest.[p]LOL [p]E
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Smokin Joe,
    The Oklahoma Eggfest was put together by "The Chimney Shop" on NW 39th in Bethany, OK The man to call is Don Burlisson @ The Chimney Shop. The Eggfest was held at The Lake Overholser Pavillion in western Oklahoma City (Bethany)[p] It was a medium sized gathering around the lake, with over 70 Eggers and more friends and visitors. A good time was held by all that attended. It's a very good way to meet people and make friends. Definitely worth the effort put forth!

• bbqBob,Is there a calendar anywhere that shows upcoming events?

• BBQ-BoB
    Eggecutioner,[p]Thanks to Scottie's post and your picture I just had to get another idea.[p]doing one of these is a lot easier than getting a full competiton going. [p]However...that being said I also got to thinking about contests where just eggs are used with mush of the criteria similar to that of the FBA or the KCBS. But then we're back to a full contest which means monies have to be made available along with ways to make it reasonable to get people from various distances to drive to it (them).[p]Actually I think I know of about 10-12 people that cook on an egg and a few that plan to soon here in Michigan.[p]Right now just getting a few folks together may work and that sign you posted will have to become a standard to live by![p]
    Bob

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    bbqBob,
    You really need to attend at least one Eggfest before you try and start one yourself.[p]An Eggfest is nothing at all like a BBQ competition and hopefully never will be. Contests are about doing whatever it takes to win and having a little fun if it works in to the plan. Since you're trying to win you're not really willing to share a great deal with the masses.[p]An Eggfest is about fun and friends and sharing and then it is about the food. Everyone shares their recipes and techniques and wants everyone to go home and make it exactly like they did.[p]Have a good day.

• poqal
    poqal Posts: 53
    Beff Lover,[p]Florida Eggfest is March 10th and 11th in Ocala. Tonia will have the website up and running real soon. [p]Diana

• BBQ-BoB
    Bobby-Q,
    Well thanks for the insight. It seems I was misinformed a bit.[p]I certainly wouldn't want to be behind the demise of the fun of an eggfest.[p]I do agree 100% that I need to attend one. Spoke with a guy this orning about that very thing.[p]Nice concept of sharing things instead of hiding things when cooking. Pretty much helps everyone grow and cook better which is always good![p]Thanks again![p]Bob

• bbqBob,[p]My initial thought is.... owning it for more than a week... Bob, slow down man, you're making me dizzy.... sorry.
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    bbqBob,
    Whereabouts you live in Mi.?
    There has been a mini fest in Feb in Mi. for several years, don't know if there is one planned for this year, Check with Julie Appledog. She will know for sure and will probably cook something good too if it happens. ;)
    Its near Grand Rapids, on the normally coldest day of the year!
    Its small but a good time.[p]HTH,
    ChefRD, (ron)

• Smokin Joe,
    Chris Hale (aka: Snoopy Dog Dog) is the mastermind behind the OK eggfest. We had a very good time with a great location. Here is a link to the OK website...hopefully![p]Wobbly pops to ya!![p]PH[p]

[ul][li]http://www.oklahomaeggfest.com[/ul]
    Wobbly Pops to ya, Chris
  • BBQ-BoB
    ChefRD,
    I'm near Detroit (Southfield). After talking with a few folks over in this area the idea of people in the area getting together to do some cookig sounded like a good idea.[p]Got a couple 'experienced' eggers informing me of just how the eggfest work. I pretty much had a very wrong idea but I do like the way they are and I think it's great that things happen like they do. I was kind of surprised to hear others share ideas and recipes so much.[p]A few years back I made it over to The Outdoor Cook and got to meet Julie and several others along with seeing an egg for the first time. I had no idea back then that I'd be this far now.[p]Heck even if we got two going or one bigger one near Lansing or Midland. Some place that can help make it easier for many to get there.[p]Are you in the area Ron?

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    bbqBob,
    Yep, I live in Watervliet, mi.
    However, right now, we are staying in Laguna Vista TX, near brownsville until April. So we can't attend a fest in MI until after april sometime.
    A bigger one in Lansing would be great for us! If you can pull it off that would be great. So while we can't be there to help get it organized, I think it would be a good thing to do for local Egger's.
    Keep us posted if all comes together.
    later,
    ron.

• BBQ-BoB
    ChefRD, Enjoy the weather while you can. You aren't missing too much up here.[p]April just may be a better time to do something. As it gets closer and I talk with more people I'll be able to post more on things.[p]Enjoy the time down there! Just got back from a Jeff Foxworthy show and I'm sore from laughing.

• bbqBob,[p]Ping Snoopy Dog Dog...one of the best eggfest I've ever been to and it was his first one. Now don't get me wrong, Florida rocks, but Chris from Oklahoma really puts on a production.
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    bbqBob,[p]A LOT of work...[p]First you have to find a location that will support the event with nearby affordable lodging. Then you have to secure that location (read $$$). You have to find a dealer who wants to be involved. That's just a start. There are lots of pieces...[p]Sales of Demo Eggs
    Website creation and maintenance
    Registrations
    T-shirts
    Doorprizes/Sponsors
    Advertising
    "Goodie bags", nametags, etc for participants
    Organizing the "Meet & Greet"[p]And, a whole host of things I'm forgetting, LOL![p]It may not be like a competition, but it takes serious commitment. And, it takes a lot more effort in the background than folks realize. It's also very rewarding. If you decide to do one, don't expect it to be an instant success. It takes a few years to grow.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• and I may add that QBabe does a DARN good job with the Florida Eggfest. The first year was a difficult one, but successive years have grown and grown. Can't wait for this year![p]Banker John