Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Pizza on the BGE..

Options

Lets see how this works. Just got a new pizza stone and peeler, trying a simple pizza with mozzarella, ground turkey, pizza sauce and onion. Pics to come, unless I really screw it up. Then forget it.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    What's your setup?

I'm doing a "Love at 425 degrees" tonight too, got lazy today; not a bad meal for $5 (with fresh basil and oregano from the garden before it starts snowing).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options

Now having problems getting the temp up...stalling at 400...not sure what is going on. May put this puppy on at 450 or so.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    We are doing Murphy's too, but in the oven. Now stone yet.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    ground turkey pizza is sacrilege.  Just sayin... 

open the bottom and remove the top..  it should shoot up where you need it.  I typically cook pizzas at > 650.  and if you need to coax it along, a hair-dryer or fan can help.. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Pics regardless of outcome. Sometimes fail pics are good. That's how we learn. That said I hope you drive it up the middle for a TD. ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Pizza's cook pretty fast on the BGE, so I hope you precooked your ground turkey.  It might not have enough time to cook thoroughly unless you really can't get it up above 450 degrees.

Give the pizza stone plenty of time to preheat - about a half hour should do it.

Good luck with your first pizza.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • evie1370
    Options
    Thanks...cooked turkey in advance. Will have to take it off soon, just could not get it above 425 or so for some reason. Pictures and more to come.

"

• evie1370
    Options

Agree with the ground turkey. Hubby doesn't like beef or pork toppings. Next time I will do multiples, he can do whatever and I get pepperoni and sausage.

OK here it goes: never got Temp over 450, most of the time it was at 400. Any ideas on why I couldnt get it to climb? I opened the top totally...took off cap and all. Bottom already opened all the way too. We also raked coals to make sure no clogs. Fire box was full.

Crust was from a pizza shop, it was really good but a little too thick than I like it. I prefer thinner crusts but it was good. Bought three balls, froze two. Pics are shown below. Not bad for a first try and was good.

"

• evie1370
    Options
    imageimage

"

• evie1370
    Options

"

• evie1370
    Options
    Botch said:
    What's your setup?

I'm doing a "Love at 425 degrees" tonight too, got lazy today; not a bad meal for $5 (with fresh basil and oregano from the garden before it starts snowing).  
    Set up: full box of lump, plate setter legs down, bricks on plate setter to elevate stone.

"

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Awesome looking pizza....
  • evie1370
    Options
    Thanks  man. It was very tasty, but it would have been better if I could have gotten them temps up. But I knew the first time would be an experiment.  Best decision I made was to buy that dough from a pizza shop. Some of the best I have had, and at $3 a ball money well spent.

"

• evie1370
    Options
    Pics regardless of outcome. Sometimes fail pics are good. That's how we learn. That said I hope you drive it up the middle for a TD. ;)
    It was tasty but with the temperature issue not as crunchy a crust. But it performed a heck of a lot better than the Bengals did today!

"

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Sounds like the lump may have been damp. Humidity etc... 
  • evie1370
    Options

Could be, but it caught fire real well. But if damp that could be an issue. I did not think of that. We store it outside in a container, but the weather has been cold and damp lately.

"

• mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Any leftover lump from the previous cook can suck up moisture, especially if the egg sits out uncovered in the rain. You may also be restricting your airflow by putting the stone up too high in the dome. My advice - take it indoors, cook your pizza on a stone on the top rack of your oven, at 500 plus(no broiler). The toppings cook much better this way without burning the crust.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    How early did you put the plate setter in? Next time take clean every last bit of ash and old lump out. Light a full load of fresh lump- with lots of big pieces- in three places. Get a lot of coal burning, then add the plate setter.

I find if I start with old lump with little pieces, and ash in the bottom, and put the plate setter on early, like a usual cook, it's hard or impossible to get up to 650.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Pie looks fantastic!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Couple of temp thoughts. .

Did you put all the parts in when you lit it? Bricks, platesetter and stone can take a while to heat up.

What size is your pizza stone? And your egg? When you raise the stone like that, a stone that's too large may keep the heat trapped below.

Are you sure the holes in the fire grate were clear? Is the hole in the firebox aligned with the lower vent? If holes are plugged or the firebox misaligned, you won't get enough air.

Hope this helps.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Yeah, I'd eat that! Looks great.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Pie looks awesome. I prefer a thicker crust. Doesn't look as though it was too high in the dome as the top is nicely browned. Good job.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • evie1370
    Options
    Thanks all for the thoughts, going to try another pizza soon. I think many of you are right, I put the plate setter and everything in at once and early, plus I used some old lump. Next time I am cleaning it out and using fresh.

"