Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

(Award Winning) Smoked Brisket Chili from Salado Eggfest After Party 2014

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @henapple‌...thanks! Perhaps I can hit up the one in FL. Where do they hold that one? Or does the location vary year to year?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    @NPHuskerFL:  Looks like there's the Sunshine State Eggfest in Melbourne in March.  Just missed that one.  Also, in May, there's the Georgia Mountain Fest in Hiawassee, GA.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @EggObsessed‌...thank you. Is it the same locations every year? I've never been to a Fest (just got our LBGE in Sept). Next year I would like to attend.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • EggObsessed
    You will absolutely love the whole Eggfest experience.  You might want to go as a taster the first time to get a good feel for what goes on, then plan to cook and share after that.  You will  learn so much and meet so many great people!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    What you recommend as a substitute for the knor tomato bouillon? It's an add on item on amazon and I have no idea what that means. I had 50+$ in my cart and still said it wasn't going to ship?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    grege345 said:

What you recommend as a substitute for the knor tomato bouillon? It's an add on item on amazon and I have no idea what that means. I had 50+$ in my cart and still said it wasn't going to ship?

Walmart carries it.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• EggObsessed
    @grege345: If you can't find it at Walmart, as QDude recommends, you can find the plain chicken flavor at most any grocery store.  That will work.  I know it sounds odd to use a chicken flavored product in a beef chili, but it works!  Good luck with finding the Knorr product.  I don't understand the "add on" things on Amazon either!
    Kelley 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    @smbishop, I put the link to it on Amazon.  I have two of them and swear by them.  They work on gas burners, glass top and coils.  It diffuses the heat so there are no hot spots on your pan.  I cook beans like this also, and marinara.  Whenever I don't use it for a long cook on the stove, I regret it. They make great gifts for people who like to cook, also!
    Purchased!   I didn't even know these things existed.  Can't tell you how may long simmer soups and sauces I've scorched...then picked out little pieces of black and hoped the flavor didn't impregnate the meal.  

What a great recipe idea...AND a great way to utilize leftover brisket.  Woohoo!  Another excuse to smoke a brisket.

QUESTIONS -
    1) Do you trim the remaining fat cap off the brisket pieces before you add it to the chili?
    2) Do you smoke your brisket with just a rub or S&P OR do you get a full bark by rubbing it first with other mustard or sauces?  Wondering if the bark pieces are okay in the chili if so.

Thanks for sharing. 

LBGE/Maryland
  • EggObsessed
    @KiterTodd:  Yea!  Glad you got the Simmer Mat.  You'll love it.  Yes, this is a great way to use up leftover brisket.  As to your questions:

Before we smoke the brisket, we trim it up pretty well, taking off all the hard fat, leaving about 1/4" on the fat cap.  Most of this fat renders nicely as it smokes.  It amazes us how little fat ends up in the chili.  There's never a layer of fat on top of the pot of chili.  So, feel free to leave the brisket fat layer as it is when it comes off the BGE after smoking.

I recommend leaving all your bark on the brisket when you add it to your chili.  This is what gives it character and makes it smokey.  We use a homemade Memphis style rub on our brisket, as well as adding a little of it to the chili.  You can Google "Memphis Style BBQ Rub" and find one to your liking.
    Kelley 
  • I want to try this this weekend.  Is this right above:  ½ cup + 2 TBL chili powder   Don't want to mess it up, but that seemed like alot.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    It was too spicy for my taste but I'm a northerner!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Jim...I believe that's a typo. ..definitely not 1/2 cup.
    @QDude‌ ...just back off the chili powder. It was too hot for the family the first time around.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • @QDude‌:  It's not a typo, but it's made for a Texas pallet in mind.  The chili powder I use use is Penderey's Original (not Penzy's) and to me, it's not really hot, just flavorful.  I realize everyone's tastes vary though.  
    Kelley 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @EggObsessed‌ - First let me say congratulations. Next let me say thank you very much for posting and sharing the recipe. Book marked. This is now high on the to do list.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• henapple
    Sorry @EggObsessed‌. ..whew. I left it out. I'm glad I did...ouch.
  • @EggObsessed‌, Thanks for posting this recipe.  I made it and it turned out great.  Lots of kudos from our guests on the chili.  Will be making it again for sure.
  • You really have to love a forum where you can ask for and get help cooking anything on the Egg, but it's even better when you can get recipes that work really well.  Even better when those recipes have won impressive awards.

Thanks for sharing the recipe with us.

That may be a good thing for you to cook in Jefferson next year.

Like many of those who tasted your chili, we're going to have to cook some ourselves.  We're just waiting for the perfect 'chili-cooking-day.'

Spring "Almost Though With The Jefferson Eggfest Movie" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Just what I was looking for to use the left over brisket. Bookmarking this one.

Congrats on the award win.
    LBGE
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    I'm going to try this for our annual tailgate chili cook off. I have never won so I keep changing it up. I will give proper credit when I win! Does it matter if I use the point or flat? Would the point add additional fat or grease? Thanks!
    Chester, MD
  • Use any part of the smoked brisket.  We cut it up in 1/2 inch cubes.  It's surprisingly NOT greasy, even when there is plenty of point in it.  Good luck to you!  Enjoy!
    Kelley 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Please bring that back in March [-O<
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    I'm cooking two batches for a men's group...minus a few chef's bowls. It gets rave reviews and naturally I take all the credit. Who is this @EggObsessed‌? :-?

I do cut back on the spices. The best batch I've cooked included a big pack of smoked hatch chilies.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Cooking up a batch of this chili for the neighbors on Halloween in the cul-de-sac.  Can't wait!!  Thank you @EggObsessed for posting the recipe.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    How big of a pot do I need for this?  I suck at math.
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    How big of a pot do I need for this?  I suck at math.
  • The recipe makes about 6 quarts (gallon and a half).

Kelley 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Well........I got home last night to find my wife had used the leftover brisket for a pot of chili from a bag.   :-O #-o b-(

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Oooohhhhhhh nooooooooo!!
    Kelley 
  • drano
    drano Posts: 39
    I am going to make this this weekend and have a question. 3 onions sounds like a lot, is this correct or should it be 3 cups of onion? Thanks for posting this for us.
  • henapple
    I use 3 onions...