Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Practice Brisket

Options
Dobie
Dobie Posts: 3,364
OK so its just me and Mrs Dobie so I havent tackled a brisket yet. Didn't want to drop $80 on a huge full brisket for just the two of us and well besides that I have been a little intimidated by the brisky. Anyhow I came across a partial flat for under $20 and nabbed it. Guys I need some direction on this small piece of flat. Planning on about 250 indirect with the controller in charge over Ozark Oak and some pecan chunks but besides that Im in foreign territory so tell me what should be done with this small brisket portion. image
Jacksonville FL

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    that's kinda small.  may need to wrap halfway thru to perserve moistness and tenderness.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    edited October 2014
    Options
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1171088/dont-laugh-at-my-unusually-small-brisket#latest

Here is one of my flat cooks, works really good for a small flat. Good luck, and enjoy!
    Good price, I have to cough up $7.99 a lb for flats here in No. California, whereas a full packer is only $3.59.
    Go figure.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Standing by.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dobie
    Options
    Going on tomorrow, worst case the Dobermans get it :o3
    Jacksonville FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Standing by until then. Good luck my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Can't believe I'm saying this. ..travis style.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Dobie
    Options
    Ok, cleaned out the egg completely and got the CyberQ set up. Ozark Oak with pecan chunks. Plate setter in the Woo with a drip pan full of water. Injected the micro brisket flat with beef broth, thin mustard coat an Dizzy Pig Red Eye rub. Got it on the egg about 20 minutes ago. One end is very thin an I'm sure will dry out but figure I can chop it up and make chili or something. Worst case scenario the dogs eat good later. Blue sky, light breeze and temps in the 60's B-)
    Jacksonville FL
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    next time try Worcestershire instead of the mustard, adds to the flavor profile 

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Dobie
    Options
    tjv said:
    next time try Worcestershire instead of the mustard, adds to the flavor profile 

t

Will do! Does anyone marinade briskets?
    Jacksonville FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    And here is the holy grail of brisket flats as mentioned by @henapple:  Works for flats-I don't go this route and have hosed up many.  BTW-@Dobie-keep searching-sometimes you can find a packer as light-weight as around 8 -9lbs.  Grab it and go traditional.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    On a flat this small it will lose moisture fairly quick. Personally I would inject the night before with something neutral such as natural beef broth and then inject once more before the flat goes on. Rub you could go w/ simple S&P or any rub for that matter. I would aim for a dialed in pit temp of 225℉-250℉ and no crutch. When you FTC I would use butchers paper and again add in just minuscule moisture. Allow for 3-5 hr rest. Enjoy.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dobie
    Options
    A little over two hours in, dome 225, brisky at 145 image
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ I dont have great expectations but wanted to get my feet wet. Since they are parting out brisket I will see if I can get a point or the thicker end of the flat next time. This piece was all they had in the case and I almost didnt get it but said what the hell for the price.
    Jacksonville FL
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Nice meat there dude

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Bump. Results Chris? Show us some$$$shots. ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dobie
    Options
    I bumped the temp to 290 about an hour ago and still at 169 internal. Been on 8 hours and probing tough but appears moist. I had water dripping from the lower vent earlier, never seen that before.
    Jacksonville FL
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Options
    A few comments.

Try Wal-mart - got a full brisket for about $3.92 per lb.

Use hickory. And 50:50 salt and pepper rub. Don't forget to trim the brisket.

ABSOLUTELY watch the Aaron Franklin three part video on YouTube. I did my first brisket and knocked it out of the park with his help. I never even checked the internal and relied on the toothpick test. Was near perfection. Good luck.
    LBGE
  • Dobie
    Options
    Needs work will probably share with the dogs image
    Jacksonville FL
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Does not look bad, what do you think, how tender and juicy was it? Looks good from here. What internal temp did you pull it from the egg? If you go by temp I use 200-203F, or by feel with probe or toothpick for "buttah" probing. Sounds like maybe you pulled it too early if it was not tender enough. Practice makes perfect.

This is the first brisket recipe I ever used for a small flat, straight from the BGE website
    www.biggreenegg.com/features/dr-bbq-coffee-brisket

Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "