Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Steaks for 20 on The Large

I am having 20 folks for steaks on the LBGE in November.  Last year I had 10 and was able to cook 9 strips no problem.  I am thinking about a reverse sear.  Planning to roast with the AR to maybe 110 then hold - I can probably fit 18 steaks on the AR for the roast.  I would follow with the sear 8 or 9 at a time.  Does this sound like a plan?   
Milton, GA.

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    It sounds like a decent plan to me... :)

Unless of course you get another egg before then LOL
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    That sounds like a better plan to me.  ;)
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Have you thought about a 14/16 pound whole New York Strip or whole Beef Tenderloin? Hard to beat for a large group. Just slice them when they go through the line.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    hapster said:
    It sounds like a decent plan to me... :) Unless of course you get another egg before then LOL
    I actually mentioned that to the wife but she didn't go for it!
    Milton, GA.
  • flynnbob
    Have you thought about a 14/16 pound whole New York Strip or whole Beef Tenderloin? Hard to beat for a large group. Just slice them when they go through the line.
    @Grillmagic - That sounds like a good idea.  I haven't tried that before but that could be the ticket.  Maybe roast whole, then slice and sear?  If you have any follow-up, I am all ears.  Thanks!
    Milton, GA.
  • Grillmagic
    You won't need to do the sear, especially if you get a good char on the roast. Cut them into 1 and 1/2 inch steaks. Add a nice bernaise and prepare for the high Fives
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    @Grillmagic, I have done that with ribeye (prime rib) and tenderloin many times and they are both great.  I have never done it with strips.  How does it compare?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    flynnbob said:

hapster said:

It sounds like a decent plan to me... :)

Unless of course you get another egg before then LOL

I actually mentioned that to the wife but she didn't go for it!

LOL
    Of course the beef prices are going up; the egg might be the better deal than the steaks, then you can just make Bubba burgers
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I have had to cook for a crowd before and on one large you more than likely will have to cook in stages. I bought a second large just so I wouldn't have the hassle of doing that again. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Grillmagic
    Foghorn said:

@Grillmagic, I have done that with ribeye (prime rib) and tenderloin many times and they are both great.  I have never done it with strips.  How does it compare?

It comes out great, my favorite would also be a whole Rib Eye, the NY Strip Roast as well as the Tenderloin Roasts come out Great for large groups.
  • flynnbob
    I have had to cook for a crowd before and on one large you more than likely will have to cook in stages. I bought a second large just so I wouldn't have the hassle of doing that again. 
    @johnkitchens My problem is what to do with 2 Eggs when it is just the wife and me - Daughter is at college, but we do entertain a fair amount.
    Milton, GA.
  • flynnbob
    It comes out great, my favorite would also be a whole Rib Eye, the NY Strip Roast as well as the Tenderloin Roasts come out Great for large groups.
    @grillmagic, I am intrigued.  I will try a small ribeye roast with some friends as a test.  I am venturing into uncharted waters but am game for it.  @foghorn, please chime in as appropriate and I appreciate the guidance.  I do not want to mess up as I will never hear the end of it.  I am going to need some advice regarding the temps, Not sure if we go direct or indirect with this method.   Thanks.
    Milton, GA.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I've done this before. Staging is key. As you alreadyknow each person will want their steak cooked a particular way. I have done 2 very large cooks on my large regarding steak. For obvious reasons multiple eggs is desirable but, I did it on one LBGE with a homemade raised grid. The last time we did it I believe I reverse seared with an extended rest. I don't own an AR so,that's how I did it plus al the sides were cooked in the egg as well. That said I can't wait for my MM to help with cooks like the one your doing.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    @flynnbob‌, they were just selling a whole strip steak at 11 pounds for $7.98/#. They had bigger ones then that. I was going to cook the whole thing for a party, but SWMBO said we need to stop feeding the neighborhood so I cut 4-1" steaks for the family coming over that night then cut it into 3" sections for future cooks. I have done a whole 8 pound beef tenderloin to 135 then pulled it to rest while I cooked vegetables. I cut them to how people wanted and said if they aren't done enough I could through them back on. No one asked, they just ate a lot. Best thing I have had so far on the egg. You can also go inderect to 110-115, pull, go direct and get temp up and reverse sear the whole thing to 130-135. It would be easier and cost the same or less.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    I just did a NY strip loin last night. It was good. But I prefer rib roasts. The ends will be well done and the center can be rare. Everyone should be happy. Lots of great recipes on here but I prefer salt and pepper, indirect at 350 or so until IT reads about 125 or so depending on your crowds preference. I went hot and fast last night and overcooked it a bit. But no one complained.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • The approach is sound.

When I worked for a caterer a looooong time ago, we would basically do that for large cooks - steaks for 150 people, etc. We would par-cook the steaks to 110 degrees, pull and hold in a warming box for 30-60 minutes, and then sear them off to medium for 2-3 minutes right before serving. The key is holding them at temperature of 110-120 for the interim period.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    @flynnbob - I did a large steak cook this summer when my freezer died. We had about 30 people and did 16 NY strips and 16 thick cut pork chops. I had the chops on indirect on my other LBGE and they got done at about the same time as the steaks.

I ended up searing first, then roasting to temp. It worked very well and I would do it this way again. I seared three steaks at a time on the spider and SBGE cast iron grate, then covered them on a tray after the sear until I had them all seared. The internal at that point was in 70-80 degree range. Then I stacked them on the MBGE indirect at about 325-350 until they reached 130-135 internal (took about 20-25 minutes). We had about 30 people and did 16 NY strips and 16 thick cut pork chops. I had the chops on indirect on my other LBGE and they got done at about the same time.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • flynnbob
    minniemoh said:
    @flynnbob - I did a large steak cook this summer when my freezer died. We had about 30 people and did 16 NY strips and 16 thick cut pork chops. I had the chops on indirect on my other LBGE and they got done at about the same time as the steaks.

I ended up searing first, then roasting to temp. It worked very well and I would do it this way again. I seared three steaks at a time on the spider and SBGE cast iron grate, then covered them on a tray after the sear until I had them all seared. The internal at that point was in 70-80 degree range. Then I stacked them on the MBGE indirect at about 325-350 until they reached 130-135 internal (took about 20-25 minutes). We had about 30 people and did 16 NY strips and 16 thick cut pork chops. I had the chops on indirect on my other LBGE and they got done at about the same time.

@minniemoh I like this method too. I can sear and hold then finish with the roast.  How hot did you sear and about how much time  (1.5 min per side?) and it looks like the roast was indirect?  I can use my AR to stack them.  A lot of good advice here and I am going to practice before my cook on Nov 18.
    Milton, GA.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    I'd go reverse sear with a tenderloin. 

Easier to control. 

Serving outstanding beef beats "look at me I can cook 20 steaks on my egg". 

You're assuming everyone wants the same temp. 

With a tenderloin, you'll have medium to MR to rare automatically and can always throw cut tenderloin medallions back on for additional cooking/searing if too rare. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    @flynnbob‌ - yes the roasting was done indirect which made getting medium rare and medium very easy for the steaks. Most of the group wanted med rare so I left a few on roast until med.

You don't have to stab the thermapen into the sear fire, you can perfectly control the amount of sear on each steak, and still hit your finish temp. I seared at 700 for about 1.5 to 2 min per side on 2" thick NY strips.

I had steaks, pork chops, and veggies all going at the same time so this method worked for me on this cook. I think reverse sear would have been harder for me to manage and have it all done mostly at the same time in my opinion. As @THEBuckeye said, tenderloin would be easier for sure. I HAD to cook all the steaks and chops due to my freezer failure.

The other thing I would recommend is to use a baker's cooling rack on a cookie sheet to put the finished steaks on. That way the juices don't get pulled out by the cool tray or plate temp. Works like a charm.

Good luck - I'm sure it will be great.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!