Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Barbacoa Help Needed

Options
Mayberry
Mayberry Posts: 750
edited October 2014 in EggHead Forum
We are having people over to watch football tomorrow and wanted to try something new. This afternoon, I bought a 7 pound chuck roast to make pulled beef barbacoa tacos tomorrow. I've searched older threads and see that most people follow the Cen Tex recipe, which calls for some sort of Abadobo rub on the meat . I have Goya Adobo rub, but that doesn't seem to be close. I have all the seasonings Cen Tex mentioned, but don't know proper amounts of each to make the rub. Can anyone help me out? I've been searching online tonight, but I haven't found anything that looks really good.
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• FlyingTivo
    Options
    Very simple, if you can go out again and buy some cheek and tungue, add it to the chuck on a dutch oven with very little oil, onions, Salt and pepper and let it roll until tender or 196ºF.
    Make some killer salsa and corn tortillas. Nothing more needed, well except avocado!

Good luck!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I mix in some Chipotle peppers from a can with red enchilada sauce after pulling.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Rfd96
    Rfd96 Posts: 20
    Options
    Look up Pepper Stout Beef. Add additional heat and spice.
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Blended some recipes and the braise tastes fantastic. Chuck is cruising along at 145 degrees right now. One more question: when I remove from the egg and put in the braise with meat, how much braise should there be? I know it doesn't need to be like soup, but also doesn't need to be dry. I have about a half blender full of the braise and a 7 pound chuck roast. Should cover it nicely, but want to make sure it's enough. First time braising anything other than meat in a crock pot.
    Athens, GA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options

Very simple, if you can go out again and buy some cheek and tungue, add it to the chuck on a dutch oven with very little oil, onions, Salt and pepper and let it roll until tender or 196ºF.

Make some killer salsa and corn tortillas. Nothing more needed, well except avocado!

Good luck!

Felipe
    X2 barbacoa = head
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Mayberry said:

Blended some recipes and the braise tastes fantastic. Chuck is cruising along at 145 degrees right now. One more question: when I remove from the egg and put in the braise with meat, how much braise should there be? I know it doesn't need to be like soup, but also doesn't need to be dry. I have about a half blender full of the braise and a 7 pound chuck roast. Should cover it nicely, but want to make sure it's enough. First time braising anything other than meat in a crock pot.

Looking forward to the finish!!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Good luck!

Felipe
    ^^^^^^*listen to Felipe. Easy and money. You really can't screw mine up too bad if you want to experiment with the flavors we use. Have fun and it will turn out great.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mayberry
    Options
    It's close to 210 internal and smells great. But it's still a little tough feeling. Is there a trick to shredding, or is it just two forks and pull?
    Athens, GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Mayberry said:
    It's close to 210 internal and smells great. But it's still a little tough feeling. Is there a trick to shredding, or is it just two forks and pull?

did you braise it?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Just read that you did. Let it go until it's fork tender. Temp really does not matter as much as tenderness with a braise. I've gone 220 before she gave up the ghost. You want tenderness over anything else. You can add moisture back in with the braising liquid if needed.
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Yes, in braise now. Most is reading 210 with thermapen, but some is reading 207. I'll leave a few more minutes and try again. It smells great.
    Athens, GA
  • FlyingTivo
    Options
    Pictures when done! :-??
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Lol....sorry. It took longer than expected and I was watching the end of the Georgia game while shredding. Everyone was hungry and I completely forgot pics. I apologize. As for the barbacoa, it was amazing. Tender, juicy, just delicious. Mixed with the pickled onions and some goat cheese on tacos, it was one of the best I've done in a while. More labor intensive than a butt or brisket, but distinct flavor and definitely worth doing. Thanks for sharing this, Cen- Tex!
    Athens, GA