Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st cook on new BGE today - Spare Ribs - Need Advice

Options

I have 2 racks of spare ribs that I'm going to smoke this afternoon. Looking for some experienced Egg cookers for some guidance. What is your process> 3-2-1? Thanks everyone

Comments

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I'm a nube, but I did my first ribs last week, 5 hrs. at 230-40 with just rub (Memphis Dust recipe from Amazing Ribs), they were fantastic.  You're gonna love that egg.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    I assume you are going indirect. Be sure that the ribs don't hang over the plate setter and get in direct contact with the fire. I did this on my first rib cook. Loaded up the grate edge to edge, and went 3-2-1. They were good, just burned the edge ribs. Good luck. Have fun.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    3-2-1 will work well. That said, there are many ways to smoke ribs. In the 2 hour foil stage, I like the add honey (just a good squeeze for each rib), brown sugar and apple juice (or pineapple). Maybe 1/4 cup of liquid. I would also use 2 layers (sometimes 3) of HDAF to ensure the liquid doesn't leak out.

Don't forget pics.

And welcome!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Also I would go 250-275 dome temp.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA