Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has anyone ever mixed lump with charcoal?

Options
Franco
Franco Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Everything is great off the BGE, but even without adding wood, sometimes the taste is a little to smoke filled with the BGE lump.[p]Spin and many others have helped here and maybe my stomach just isn't use to the real cooking I'm doing these days versus the old gas grill.[p]But, at the office today someone said I should try mixing the lump with briquettes (Kingsford). Any thoughts on this?[p]Thanks, Frank

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Franco,[p]Briquets are made from lump charcoal fines. Fillers are added as an adhesive to help to form the fines into the standard charcoal briquet shape. The surface is then coated with a pyrotechnic coating to help in lighting this now not so willing to burn mixture.[p]The instructions on the briquet bag say to allow the briquets to "white over" (lime added to indicate when then pyrotechnics are done) before cooking over them.[p]Same lump, just a whole lot less (and more).[p]Spin
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Spin, yup..adding anything other than smokin wood to lump charcoal, just degrades the lump. And adds "hutttuiii" stink to da meat.[p]Duckin again...cya..C~W[p]
  • Franco,[p]Try a diferent brand of real lump. Seems the BGE brand is a little smokey and others I have tried are not.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Franco,[p]I wouldn't add briquettes. You might try a slightly higher temp -- most recipes can handle an increase of 30-50 deg and that might get you up to 350 where the smoke starts being reduced. [p]Theoretically cooking with as little chimney restriction would also help. Cat and others do this all the time so they can help with the technique more than I, but with less restriction up there (no top at all on the Egg) the gasses and such will not build up as much under the dome as with a tight restriction (daisy on and closed). That should help reduce the smokes duration of being "in" the proximity of the food - so less smokey taste.[p]Tim