Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help a Fella out with some Veggies!!

Options
loveTheEgg
loveTheEgg Posts: 573
edited October 2014 in EggHead Forum
I haven't done this method with veggies so I need some input. looking to do a pan of potatoes, onions, carrots and bell peppers while smoking a slab of baby backs at around 275 grate temp. how long do you think it will take for the pan of veggies to get done? Thank you for any input you can provide! :) 
Brandon, MS

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I am guessing at least 2 - 2 1/2hrs.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    Thanks Mattman!
    Brandon, MS
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I haven't done this method with veggies so I need some input. looking to do a pan of potatoes, onions, carrots and bell peppers while smoking a slab of baby backs at around 275 grate temp. how long do you think it will take for the pan of veggies to get done? Thank you for any input you can provide! :) 

Sorry that I'm getting in on this late but I have been working some insane hours. I have never ran my vegetables that low and I'm real curious about them. If I may ask sir, how did they turn out? Thanks in advance my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• loveTheEgg
    Options
    Doing them tonight! Will let you know after supper. Hope they turn out ok!
    Brandon, MS
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    what kind of pan are you cooking them in?  I have a perforated grill pan and when I do long cooks of veggies I find the potatoes get dry and the onions and peppers over cook.  Lately I've been putting the whole mess of potatoes, onions and peppers, with some olive oil and seasonings, in a heavy foil packet.  they steam, and I don't like that consistency, so I crisp it up in a grill pan at the end.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Most veg. need to get to 210F to be tender. Potatoes need to reach 185F for some time to be digestible.

The time it will take for the veg to reach tender depends in part on the thickness of the pieces. The finer the cut, the faster.

I ran a couple of tests, and found that it took about 20 min. for an aluminum pie pan w. a cup of water to reach simmering temp when placed on the lower grill position, and a dome of 250. Add in whatever time it takes for the particular pieces of veg to reach the same temp.

Most folks put the veg pan underneath so the vegs will be basted by the meat drippings. I usually cook my vegs in foil pouches w. butter off to the side. Sealed in a pouch, they don't much more than 90 min. In an uncovered pan, add time, or parboil them before placing under the meat.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Wherever you land I use a toothpick to check for the finish.  When the pick probes with no resistance =good to go.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    Try to raise the pan slightly off whatever its sitting on by using aluminum foil balls so the juices in the pan don't burn

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA