Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Midnight Special.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Getting ready for tonights cook. Just thought that this looked cool and I would share it. I know it's not the egg so please forgive me. Unit 6 coming online and belching smoke and steam like a locomotive. It know it drives the neighbors nuts but I love it. Haven't decided what to cook yet. Maybe some hot dogs ;)
imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Hell of a hot dog cook. Neighbor's must be going crazy.
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    That's awesome. Do you know the origin to the song? I was told it was a train full of prostitutes out of ohio brought somewhere south for a chain gang.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Either way I've got a serious hardon for that damn smoker. Is it based on a 250 gallon lp tank?
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Never mind. Just found their website from your photo. Looks like they build some nice stuff.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Jeremiah‌ -Thank you for the kind words my friend. Unit 6 is made from a piece of 30" diameter pipe. She is 84" long in the main chamber. The end caps are vessel caps instead of pipe caps. You certainly can use tanks though my friend. But unit 6 started off as new raw 30" pipe my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @Tjcoley‌- The hot dogs was my attempt at humor brother Coley. It's actually going to be a beef clod and a few butts. Might even throw a few chickens on just for the heck of it. Cooking for a small get together tomorrow. Nothing big though. Thanks for looking brother Coley.

Status- Standing by.

• Jeremiah
    Options
    Would you mind giving a few details about the clod when you do it? It's on my list of future cooks. Thanks
  • SGH
    Options
    @Jeremiah‌- Will be glad to my friend. Also here is one I did a few months back if you are interested. It was a big one. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1168976/for-the-cen-tex-smoker-a-monster-in-the-making#latest

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Jeremiah‌- That's interesting about the song. But no I have never heard that until now. I will try to research it and see what I can find. But it's probably true my friend. It would not surprise me at all if that is the case.

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    For a moment, I thought you were serious about hotdogs @SGH‌. I was gonna tell you that if you like wasting a bunch of fuel for hotdogs, maybe you should move to WY and be like the idiots here Rollin' Coal. I love Wyoming, but Rollin' Coal at a stoplight is idiotic, as is using that big ole smoker vs your mini for a hotdog. I will say though, Rollin Coal is good Prius repellant.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    Options
    @stemc33‌- I like that rolling coal as you call it. That's pretty cool in my book!!!! I hate a gas sipper almost as much as I hate a nibbler ;)

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @sgh, I have a dodge diesel and am a fan, but it pisses me off if I'm at a light with my window down and some idiot decides to roll coal. It's cool at a tractor pull, but not in town.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    @sgh, I have a dodge diesel and am a fan, but it pisses me off if I'm at a light with my window down and some idiot decides to roll coal. It's cool at a tractor pull, but not in town.

Brother stem that looks pretty cool to me!!! Sorry. You have to remember that I work in the oil industry. The more that y'all burn, the more that I earn!! So roll coal at will my friends ;)

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    Options
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    Options

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @Jeremiah‌- Brother Miah, the technique above in a Monster in the Making is pretty much how I usually do them. There are some things that I left out that I have always wanted to do a post on. Examples- Seperating the 3 heads. Cutting flat iron steaks from the IFP & T minor. Removing the T minor at 140 while cooking the other 2 heads to pull. Injecting the T minor. The post had got pretty big and cluttered so I didn't go back and add any farther info to it. If time permits this weekend I may try to do a complete write up on clod for clarification. I should have added it in the original post but I'm getting pretty lazy in my older age.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Jeremiah‌- Thought you might like this brother miah.http://youtu.be/M6NmHEFB2n8

Status- Standing by.

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited October 2014
    Options
    SGH said:

@stemc33‌- I like that rolling coal as you call it. That's pretty cool in my book!!!! I hate a gas sipper almost as much as I hate a nibbler ;)

=))
  • SGH
    Options
    @Phatchris‌- I take it you feel the same way brother Phat ;)

Status- Standing by.

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Hot Dog, That is Funny!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    @SGH‌ I missed that thread somehow. I kinda zone in and out on this forum at times though. Thanks I'll read it better once I'm fully awake.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Must be a real small get together.  With only the clod, a few butts, and maybe some chickens what are the guests going to eat!!!! =))
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • SGH
    Options
    @jcaspary‌
    Those hot dogs that I mentioned earlier are for the guests ;)

Status- Standing by.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Are you involved in making those?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    Options
    @Mickey‌
    No sir. I do not make them myself. I'm pretty lazy so I just buy them. My grand father use to make them though.

Status- Standing by.

• Mickey
    Options
    Misunderstood you once. Thought you said if they took off you would retire the oil business to those. One of us most have had an adult beverage =))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    Options
    @Mickey‌
    My bad. I thought that you was asking did I make the hot dogs or wieners. As to the smoker I did not build Unit 6. But all the internals and tuning was done by me. And yes sir I'm fixing to start manufacturing them myself full time. Unit 7 that I'm bringing to Salado was built by myself from the ground up. Except for the paint job. Sorry I misunderstood my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Jeremiah
    Options
    Got any pics of 7??
  • SGH
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Got any pics of 7??

I posted some naked pics of Unit 7 a few days back. Will have some painted ones of it Sunday. I'm hoping to have test fire pics of it as well Sunday evening or night.

Status- Standing by.

• Mickey
    Options
    Do the numbers signify order built or size?