Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying to smoke salmon at low temprature

Options
I was trying to smoke some salmon at 180 degrees last night but could not get my EGG to stay at a low temp. 

Has anyone else had this problem and if so - how do you do it?

Thank You for your help.

Larry

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Options

You have to get creative to get below 200,.  Try a few briquetts in a coffee can set in the bottom with a few holes punched in the lower part of the can.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Was able to manage around 190*F (for about 8 hours) on a LBGE with a small load of lump and not much initially lit-not sure on the XL.  Regardless, takes  lots of attention (w/o a controller) to maintain.  Same rules as any other L&S-catch it on the way up.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I was @ 160 using my guru on some salmon. No issues.

Seattle, WA
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    edited October 2014
    Options

Here is the link that shows the BGE DigiQ is $250..it's the cheapest I have seen and it has 2 day shipping....heck the apply for a Amazon Credit Card and get $40 instantly. ..once shipped I paid the card off and cancelled it....so with shipping it cost $215

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Green-Egg-Guru-DigiQ/dp/B00A3BQ6EU/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A262TPPYXMWGNT 

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Use a partial load of lump, preferably previously used lump.  Bottom vent barely cracked open - like the thickness of a credit card.  Daisy wheel on, with the top closed and petals mostly closed.  When lighting, do not let the temps get too high, let it burn just enough to establish the fire, then set the vents / lid once you hit around 150-160 tops.  Good luck.

PS - I've not had success using the guru to keep such a low temperature, too much throughput from the fan, even with the damper closed 75%.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • LLambeth
    Options
    Thank You All for your comments and suggestions. I'll give them a try next time. The Salmon did turn out good - just did it much faster so I guess that isn't all bad either.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    You could "cold smoke" it using a metal dryer vent tube into a wooden box keep the heat around 250 dome with lots of smoke chips... 
  • LeoHat2
    LeoHat2 Posts: 32
    Options

onedbguru said:
    You could "cold smoke" it using a metal dryer vent tube into a wooden box keep the heat around 250 dome with lots of smoke chips... 
    I do cold smoke going the other way. I have a little 'baby webber' with a vent tube and some dryer tubing that feeds in to the lower vent. I can't keep my amazin' smoker lit worth a damn, so I bought a 'dorm burner' and a old cake pan from Goodwill and fill it with chips.
    The dome temp doesn't move much from ambient temp.