Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What did I do wrong? Cyber Q

Decided to cook a chicken on the egg using my new Cyber Q. Set the LBGE temp for 400, and chicken for 165. While the chicken turned out good the, tempature never could get above 350. I filled the firebox to the top with lumb and used the top vents at full open. Just courious if I might be doing something wrong.

Comments

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Which temperature gauge were you looking at?
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• The one I attached to the grill grate on the cyber q
  • fence0407
    So the CyberQ was set to 400 and on the display never got hotter than 350, correct?

How open was the fan on the CyberQ? Sometimes I forget to open it up all the way...
    Cumming, GA  

• I thought the max temp was about 350?

Little Rock, AR

• Opened up the fan all the way to full
  • Website says 475 max
  • klosurdo said:

Website says 475 max

Maybe. I had 350 in my head for some reason. I never bought one because was of the mind it was only used for low and slow.

Little Rock, AR

• fence0407
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Did you take the daisy wheel off completely?
    Cumming, GA  

• Initially I had the daisy off until about 300, then put it on.
  • Some of the pro's will be along to help you out I'm sure. I'll tag along to find out. I'm still interested in one.

Little Rock, AR

• fence0407
    Where did you place the temp probe, on the grate or up in the dome?
    Cumming, GA  

• Attached to the grate.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Direct cook or indirect?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fence0407
    klosurdo said:
    Attached to the grate.
    Did you cook indirectly with the plate setter or something similar?
    Cumming, GA  

• Indirect with plate setter legs down.
  • I was following the recipe in the BGE cookbook for beer brined chicken
  • fence0407
    Hmm...I've never had an issue with my CyberQ not getting to temp. It sounds like you've done everything correctly in terms of setup. Maybe try connecting the probe to the dome thermometer next time and see if that helps. Hopefully someone with more knowledge like @TheShaytoon will comment and help out. 
    Cumming, GA  

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    @klosurdo‌, I've never used a pit controller but it sounds like you have an airflow or lump problem. Even if the CyberQ is blowing in air, it might not of been reaching the fire. Was the fan blowing the whole time or kicking on and off? I really don't know anything about pit controllers, but just throwing ideas out there to help troubleshoot.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2014
    You could calibrate both your Tel-Tru dome therm with boiling water, and your pit temp and food temp probes in ice water and boiling water.  Might as well check them all if you are doing one. 

Had one that went bad and was 67 degrees the other way, too hot.  A new pit probe wire and calibration fixed it.  

The only other possibility is ash buildup, doubt this is the culprit though with the egg.  Had some issues caused by my own laziness/stupidity on the WSM.  Didn't clean out the ash from a previous cook and thought a 5 hr rib cook would be fine.  Fought lower temps the whole time.  Fan would cycle on and off constantly.  The ash plugged the blower vent adapter, which is quite different than the BGE adapter.     

Once I cleaned everything out, problem solved.  

FWIW, using an ATC on a BGE at 400 is a waste.  The egg is so easy to control on it's own in this range.  Save yourself the hassle.  You have to be careful, the thermocouples are somewhat sensitive to higher heat, cannot recall the max temp.  You could burn a probe, and they're not cheap.  I have some braided automotive wire protectors around mine for a little added protection from both the heat and kinks, even though I've never had the desire to get into that temp range.   
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• I did not check to see if their was ash in the bottom of the egg.

Just wanted to test out the cyber q for the first time. Otherwise it worked great , and can certainly see it working well for a "low and slow" cook.
  • Bojangles
    Bojangles Posts: 118
    klosurdo said:
    I did not check to see if their was ash in the bottom of the egg.   
    I think we've found the culprit.
    Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
    --------------------------------------------
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
    --------------------------------------------
  • I rarely use my CyberQ on anything above 300 or so.. but the times that I did on my XL I had the fan damper wide open and the bottom vent open about the width of a toothpick.  Also, to get that high of temperature, you'll need to have the daisy wheel pretty much wide open, otherwise the exiting airflow from the fan (through the daisywheel) has too much restriction and can't move as much air as is capable.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Website says 475 max
    Maybe. I had 350 in my head for some reason. I never bought one because was of the mind it was only used for low and slow.
    Agreed ... I never use my temp controller for hi temp cooks. No need. It's easy to get to and hold  @ 350+. It's the low temp cooks that are more difficult.

Also, I use the pitmaster 110, the instructions say to use only a half full load of lump.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

I tried a higher temp cook with the cyber q once - just once and realized it was more trouble than going without.  As others have said - it is a different set up to hit higher temps (daisy off, almost fully open/fan gate fully open blah blah blah).

For low temp cooking it is great - and easy to repeat the set-up.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    controllers are for Lo n Slo ...not hot and fast

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Use my Stoker for L&S overnights.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    couple things to check inside/around the firebox

- new lump vs. used lump,  sometimes all used can have difficulty getting up to higher temps.
    - need to make sure the lump grate holes are open,
    - firebox is properly aligned with slider and not obstructed with ash
    - cyber Q fan blower is wide open
    - lump is burning in multiple spots

couple things on the set up,
    - when cooking indirect, need the pit probe over the indirect piece so the probe measures temp similar to that food is getting.   
    -  leg down with beer can chicken, not sure about that set up, potential cramped spacing between setter, chicken and dome.  legs up might be better.
    - daisy wheel on or off, up to you,  I prefer on and slightly closed to trap more heat in the dome. 
    - old saying, if you are looking you aren't cooking,  peak to many times and ya screw with temps.

an alternative,
    - use the guru to bring the temp up quicker by having it run full throttle but with the pit probe out of the cooker.  When you get close (35 degrees or so) of your desired temp, shut off the guru, remove the fan and run conventionally with slider and daisy.   this pushes air which fuels the lump and accelerates the temperature rise.

it's a quick list so probably missed a couple things, 

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.