Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone in pork butt. $.99 a #. Good or bad?

Options
Mik of Alaska
Mik of Alaska Posts: 96
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally found some bone in pork butt at IGA today and wanted to make some pulled pork. Q#1 did I get the right kind of pork? Q#2 is 99 cents a lb. too much? Q#3 is guava wood good to make pulled pork or do I need something stronger. Q#4 when is someone else in Alaska gonna get one of these things. Q#5 does ash from Augustine volcano add or subtract from the flavor of food grilled on the BGE? Hope everyone is having a great time. Happy grillin'. Mik

Comments

• MakoBBQ
    MakoBBQ Posts: 230
    Options
    NYE005.jpg
    <p />Mik of Alaska,[p]Q#1: Yes you got the right cut of pork for pulled pork.[p]Q#2: I paid 1.19 a lb for these two on sale. They are usually 1.99 a pound here.[p]Cant help with the rest. Enjoy it.[p]NYD007.jpg
  • Wiggle Wart Willie
    Options
    Mik of Alaska,

you got the right cut and price is average for my area. I have never tried guava so I can not help from there. check out TNW site if you need help with the pork
  • Wiggle Wart Willie
    Options
    Mik of Alaska,

you got the right cut and price is average for my area. I have never tried guava so I can not help from there. check out TNW site if you need help with the pork
  • Mik of Alaska
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I was hoping I got the stuff for pulled. I'm gonna give it a go next weekend. It's a Dr. Chicken ham this weekend. Great stuff Manord!! Happy grillin' Mik
  • Mik of Alaska
    Options
    MakoBBQ,
    Thanks for the info. Q#1: Where is here?? Q#2: Why didn't you send me some of that pulled pork?? That really looks good. I hope mine comes out close to yours. Happy grillin' Mik

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Mik of Alaska,[p]#1 It's the perfect cut for pulled pork (you will enjoy).
    #2 99 cents a pound is a very good price. I'd get a few!
    #3 As for wood, I really like the Guava wood and it should add a nice mild smoke flavor!
    #4 I hope you get a few eggheads up there soon!
    #5 Unsure, but maybe![p]Smokey

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Mik of Alaska,
    Sorry, volcano ash will not add any flavor although it will add some texture to the bark. Saw a picture of St. Augustine on the news, looks like she is angry. You might want to consider sacrificing some pulled pork and a six pack of local beer to the volcano god. Might be just the thing to stop her from exploding.
    Clay

• MakoBBQ
    MakoBBQ Posts: 230
    Options
    Mik of Alaska,
    Here is North Carolina!