Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

freezing cold BGE storage

Options
Just wondering if any of you who live where it gets very cold in the winter do anything special egg storage wise.  I'm presuming as long as the inside never gets wet, the ceramic should handle freezing cold temps just fine.  I've been thinking of buying an egg for my mountain cabin.  I would plan on storing it in a covered shed through the winter.  I know I need to winterize my cabin soon. (i.e. drain the plumbing and hot water heater, pour anti-freeze into all of the drain traps and the toilet, etc.)  I hope to take a medium egg to my cabin next spring or summer.
Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
 and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    No problems up in iowa and it gets pretty damn cold here in winter.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    My egg sets outside uncovered year round. I've only had it a little over a year though. I just brush the snow off and light. I think our coldest temp last year was -25°. Lots of below zero days.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options

Up in Calgary Canada - I don't do anything in particular at all.  My table's seen better days, but it's the BGE brand cedar table, and I didn't do ANYTHING to protect it.  Stain, epoxy, nothing.

Getting ready to set up a new table and I won't have to worry about it anymore; but my biggest "winter egg fear" is that the table will fall apart and drop the egg. 

The Egg itself is totally unaffected though.

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    What say you Canucks???

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Thanks everyone for responding.  That is what I was hoping and expecting to hear, I just wanted to be sure.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    three of my eggs sit uncovered all winter, one had close to 5 feet on top the whole winter. of the three i had problems with one sucking in water and freezing, bge replaced that egg, the whole side of that egg flaked off, but they replaced it free. in a shed you will be more than fine
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    I'll provision by saying that our winters in Toronto are considered mild by most others in the country (especially when compared to Quebec, Manitoba, Alberta, and the territories). That said, 2014 was the coldest winter in the last 20 years. We also had a bad ice storm and went 101 consecutive days with snowfall on the ground. All of that said, the egg held up just fine - mind you, never really gave it time to cool down! A buddy of mine (who lurks on this forum) got caught with the cover off during the ice storm. 
    Lesson learned - cover it and keep the bottom vent cracked slightly. 

Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Here in the bitter cold of Central NC, I just leave mine uncovered....  B-)
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    Condensation from freeze/cold cycles will grow mold by the time spring rolls around, and I believe contributed to mt BGE base cracking this past winter after 8 years of Minnesota winters. I am going to hang a 60 watt bulb in each one this winter. It will stop the condensation, stop the mold, stop the freezing shut, and prevent moisture-induced cracking.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Maccool said:

Condensation from freeze/cold cycles will grow mold by the time spring rolls around, and I believe contributed to mt BGE base cracking this past winter after 8 years of Minnesota winters. I am going to hang a 60 watt bulb in each one this winter. It will stop the condensation, stop the mold, stop the freezing shut, and prevent moisture-induced cracking.

And a larger electric bill. :))
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Maccool
    Options
    And a larger electric bill. :))
    Yeah...that's a problem. In this area it could cost me as much as $45 to keep my three Big Green Eggs from getting moldy, freezing shut, and cracking this winter.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    A chef's torch does wonders to help open up a frozen Egg, and in my winters in Chicago found that it cooked just great.

Plus, you feel like a real warrior checking on your brisket when it's snowing.  I will note, however, that it was in winter in Chicago when I bought a Stoker.

J
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Moldy? Mine is 5+ years old and has been thru CT winters. Not MN, but still. The only time it molded was when I was out of town for almost 3 months this summer. A short 5-600 clean burn took care of it.

Also, mine has never frozen shut. I'm convinced its because of the Rutland. Gasket on base only and made of fibreglas, not felt. Dunno for sure if that's the reason, just that it has never been thru a winter without the Rutland.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Maccool
    Options
    Moldy? Mine is 5+ years old and has been thru CT winters. Not MN, but still.
    Connecticut huh?
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

Manitoba egger here I have probably been the coldest of all posters. -30C is not out of the question. I take precautions with all my gear so as to not have issues like Fishlessman. I have my egg outside in my Challenger table COVERED. Never had an issue with mold, or freezing shut.

Condesation only occurs when rapid changes in climate occur, even with  the gentle heating of the days in the shoulder seasons, that is a stretch. Mold doesn't grow at minus temps.

If your just looking to store and not use in that cold of weather, you are fine.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Maccool said:
    Not too worried about condensation and mold, the humidity is very low after the storms have passed in the Sierras.  Heck, the snow probably sublimates more than it melts on the sunny winter days.

• Maccool
    Options
    hondabbq said:

Condesation only occurs when rapid changes in climate occur, even with  the gentle heating of the days in the shoulder seasons, that is a stretch.

Yup, I agree. Like we get in the fall or spring, or like we get when we cook on the egg then let cool down when we're done.

I get mold in at least one BGE every year, but as mentioned, it's no big deal and burns right off. As to cracking, I've had the eggs for 8 years, only had one egg crack, and only once. It was kind of PITA but worked out OK in the end. As to freezing shut, doesn't happen often, only when it rains/freezes, or when the snow melts off the egg then it freezes that night. I suppose I could just cover them, but I'll pay less to run three 60 watt light bulbs than I will getting covers for all three eggs. Some people would rather cover them, and that's fine....just not the way I want to go.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    all these comments make me even more proud to be a north GA redneck. covers, we don't need no stinkin' covers
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    20stone said:
    A chef's torch does wonders to help open up a frozen Egg, and in my winters in Chicago found that it cooked just great.

Plus, you feel like a real warrior checking on your brisket when it's snowing.  I will note, however, that it was in winter in Chicago when I bought a Stoker.

J

So, now that you have a Stoker, does it make you feel less than a real warrior? :D
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming