Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork butt injection-apple cider vinegar and apple juice

Options

I am throwing a bday party for my son tomorrow.  In order for my sister and her family to come, all food must meet their VERY STRICT "allergy" requirements.  To say my sis is a little crazy about these requirements is actually quite an understatement.  Anyway, I basically can only use salt, pepper for the rub and she gave an ok for an apple juice/cider vinegar spritz.  Fine, ive been wanting to try just a salt/pepper rub for some time so this gives me a chance to.

My question, would it be weird to inject with apple juice/cier vinegar?  Maybe add some salt/pepper to the injection?

Comments

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Not weird, Others have injected their butts and they turned out fine, though most don't do it. You're not going to hurt anything by trying it so give it a go and let us know how it turns out.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Not at all. I think it will give it more flavor. I usually mix apple juice and my rub together and inject with it. So the kid is allergic to garlic and other seasonings? My mom can't have MSG and propylene glycol and that's not hard to do. After you pull it, you could make a small batch for the kid and season the rest for others.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Bojangles
    Bojangles Posts: 118
    edited October 2014
    Options
    you might consider buying a 2 pack of butts.... do one that caters to the allergen crowd and the other the way you like it.  .....or is having them both on at the same time a risk?
    Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
    --------------------------------------------
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    I might do two but then there will be too much food and I suck at left-overs.  Mother in law is also making chile.  She and her family are "allergic" to everything except meat, bone broth and whatever else she deems she cant live without.  I guess a lot of rubs have "night shades" in them which they "cant" eat.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I did my last butt with just s&p (and oak for smoke). It was quite good. I've never injected anything. Vinegar, apples and pork play well together so it'll probably be fine. I wouldn't bother though. It'll be great with just s&p.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bojangles
    edited October 2014
    Options

@busmania Pulled pork freezes very well.  I always do two at a time, even if we're not having guests.  I'm not a big leftover fan either, but pulled pork is a different story.

I freeze the leftovers portioned-out in several quart sized freezer bags.  a few weeks later, "Hmmmm pulled pork sammies would be good for dinner"... pull a bag outta the freezer, let it defrost, re-heat in a skillet with bbq sauce (or on my griddle).  I like to top mine with cole slaw, and a shmear of apple sauce on a pretzel roll.  

Makes for a great weeknight dinner in a pinch.
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
  • busmania
    Options
    Bojangles said:

@busmania Pulled pork freezes very well.  I always do two at a time, even if we're not having guests.  I'm not a big leftover fan either, but pulled pork is a different story.

I freeze the leftovers portioned-out in several quart sized freezer bags.  a few weeks later, "Hmmmm pulled pork sammies would be good for dinner"... pull a bag outta the freezer, let it defrost, re-heat in a skillet with bbq sauce (or on my griddle).  I like to top mine with cole slaw, and a shmear of apple sauce on a pretzel roll.  

I do that too but honestly, I enjoy the cook more than the eating!  I never end up eating it and usually end up giving it away.  Its like classic cars.  I spend months building them and when they are done, I get bored and sell them.  brojangles, you on pt?
  • Bojangles
    Options
    pt?
  • busmania
    Options
    Bojangles said:
    pt?
    nevermind.  its another message board around music although there are rarely actually music conversations..  there is a brojangles on there.  if you don't know, trust me, you don't want to know.  it is a $%&! hole.
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    busmania said:
    Bojangles said:

I do that too but honestly, I enjoy the cook more than the eating!  I never end up eating it and usually end up giving it away.  Its like classic cars.  I spend months building them and when they are done, I get bored and sell them.  brojangles, you on pt?
    Phantasy Tour?
  • Bojangles
    Options
    busmania said:
    Bojangles said:
    pt?
    nevermind.  its another message board around music although there are rarely actually music conversations..  there is a brojangles on there.  if you don't know, trust me, you don't want to know.  it is a $%&! hole.
    Lol, not me.  No R in my handle either.  I do use this name on other sites though.  Mostly automotive/off-road and gun forums.  

I am a big music guy though.  I'm a drummer and into lots of stuff.
  • busmania
    Options
    stompbox said:
    busmania said:
    Bojangles said:

Phantasy Tour?

uh oh!  Ive said too much.  don't mix real life and pt.  friend of mine mentioned my real name on there once and so I changed my handle.  entertaining site but it is kind of a cesspool of bad energy.

BOjangles, sorry about that.

• ChadEggHeadEst2014
    Options
    I use apple cider vinegar to inject my butts about 1 cup or a little more with almost 2 tablespoons of the rub you can just leave the rub out. It makes a very moist pulled pork that's the way I like it. I also put a bottle of Apple juice and a stick of butter in the drip pan. When it evaporates the butt absorbs the flavors. I just made pulled pork for my family reunion about 60 people. They all said its the best they ever had and I should open a BBQ restrunt. I agree with others I allways make extra. I love pork leftovers.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    busmania said:

I might do two but then there will be too much food and I suck at left-overs.  Mother in law is also making chile.  She and her family are "allergic" to everything except meat, bone broth and whatever else she deems she cant live without.  I guess a lot of rubs have "night shades" in them which they "cant" eat.

Interesting that she is making chili since tomatoes are a nightshade vegetables. My mom seems to be allergic something new when I see here. I think when feels bad she thinks is what she eats. I'm not trying to get you in trouble, I just feel yourpain sometimes. From what I read nightshade cause chronic pain and inflammation. I would stick to playing it safe and have fun. Sorry for my rant.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    busmania said:

stompbox said:

busmania said:

Bojangles said:

Phantasy Tour?

uh oh!  Ive said too much.  don't mix real life and pt.  friend of mine mentioned my real name on there once and so I changed my handle.  entertaining site but it is kind of a cesspool of bad energy.

BOjangles, sorry about that.

I know the ilk. I am sure i have an account there but have not been on there in years. I am usually on a Panic board.
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    I inject every pork butt I cook with apple juice, although it has only been 6 and one going on the Egg tomorrow they all come out great.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • busmania
    Options

Rants indeed ok!  Here goes my rant...It is very frustrating with my sister.  She has never been diagnosed with anything by any "real" doctor.  LIke you said, it is something new every time we see her and she expects to be accommodated for otherwise she just doesn't show up, her three kids included.  Of my other 5 brothers/sisters, no one else has any food problems other than wanting to eat a lot of whatever is put in front of us.  end rant.

Mother in law is making chile as an option for everyone with no allergies.  I was going to make pork all along so I just changed the recipe a bit to suit them.  its worth having them there to change the recipe.  like I said ive been looking for an excuse to do a salt/pepper only rub and was shocked when she said an apple juice/cider spritz was ok...which got me to thinking to inject it!

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Try injecting with apple juice. Inject it in the cryovac, right through the plastic, let it sit overnight in the fridge, and cook. I think it will be great
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I did pulled pork last weekend and injected a bone in butt with beef broth and Bad Bryons rub outside. Nailed it, my best yet. Will inject all now. I spritz all long pork cooks with 1 part apple cider vinegar and 1 part water also about every hour.
    Jacksonville FL
  • busmania
    Options
    I ended up injecting with 2 parts apple juice, 1 part apple cider vinegar.  will spritz with 1 part cider vinegar/1 part apple juice.  salt/pepper rub.  apple chunks and some cherry chips spread throughout.  going on tonight at 8.  ive done many butts, different every time!  Cant wait to eat.