Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying a LG BGE this weekend...what EGGcessories should I get?

Options

Hi All.... new to the forum. Not new to smoking but have previously used an offset smoker. This will be my first experience cooking on a BGE.

Looking at getting a LG Egg this weekend and the dealer that quoted me has a package deal:

LG egg, nest, eggmates, ash tool (I don't know how much I would use this. I typically use a shop vac), heavy duty grid lifter, deluxe cover, bag of BGE charcoal, starters....delivered and assembled for $1300

Is this package a deal? Thoughts on the grid lifter?

Thx!

Comments

• KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Sorry to say it but that seems very high to me. I got all that with the exception of the cover and grid lifter for about 850.00 about 2 years ago.
  • Bojangles
    Bojangles Posts: 118
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I got a similar package deal.  Mine was a bit less, but not much.  Mine came with a few more things though... 2 more bags of lump, GrillGrates, PS, the pigtail turner, I may be forgetting some.

As to the eggcessories, don't overlook the ash tool, your shop vac will work great, but the ash tool is still great as a lump stirring tool when you're trying to keep your hands clean.  And if your shop-vac ever crapped out you'd need it in a pinch.

Mates and nest are handy, just avoid the threads will all the beautiful table builds around here.

The grid lifter works as advertised.  It is convenient in the sense that you don't have to put on welders gloves or bbq gloves to take the grid out.... but if you're removing the platesetter mid-cook you need to put the gloves on anyway.  You could live without it, but if it's part of the package, keep it.

Just my $0.02

Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
    --------------------------------------------
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    First thing I noticed when I went accessory shopping ..... EVERYTHING cost $100! It's an expensive hobby.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    a)   don't need the cover
    b)   if the MO in your nic is Missouri and anywhere in Northern MO, my local dealer sells a complete 
          package on a Lrg for $840 + tax.  No delivery tho.  
    c)   That price reminds of the Kurt Russell line in "Used Cars" !  LOL
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • MoJack
    MoJack Posts: 23
    Options
    Bojangles said:
    I got a similar package deal.  Mine was a bit less, but not much.

As to the eggcessories, don't overlook the ash tool, your shop vac will work great, but the ash tool is still great as a lump stirring tool when you're trying to keep your hands clean.

Mates and nest are handy, just avoid the threads will all the beautiful table builds around here.

The grid lifter works as advertised.  It is convenient in the sense that you don't have to put on welders gloves or bbq gloves to take the grid out.... but if you're removing the platesetter mid-cook you need to put the gloves on anyway.  You could live without it, but if it's part of the package, keep it.

Just my $0.02

thx

SoCalTim said:
    First thing I noticed when I went accessory shopping ..... EVERYTHING cost $100! It's an expensive hobby.
    its already an expensive hobby but I'm hoping to turn it into more than that one day so it's worth it.
  • uwing
    uwing Posts: 70
    Options
    I got the XL with tbe same package but with the plate setter, cost about 1500
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    A lot more than I paid for mine 7 months ago, I got a lg. Big Green Egg, platesetter,ash tool.ash pan pizza stone, grid extender, three tier rack, pizza peel,1 bag of lump, and 1 dizzy pig bottle of spice, oh, and nest for 1400,00.The grid lifter and cover are not very useful as far as I am concerned. And it was a lot of fun to assemble the nest and Egg, very easy.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited October 2014
    Options
    $1300?! Holy Moly!! Get thee to a fest, my friend. For example, at last year's Salado TX fest, you could have gotten a Large Demo for $745. Large Egg w/ nest, lump, platesetter and firestarters. Other fests are similar, but that one always seems to be the lowest.

It does pay to shop around.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Grid lifter and ash tool are not add ons. They come with the egg normally. You are paying extra for nest, cover and mates. Most dealers will also give you the first bag and starters
  • MoJack
    Options
    thx everyone. I'm calling around the next couple of days comparing prices.
  • Bojangles
    Bojangles Posts: 118
    Options
    Wow, looks like I overpaid too.
    That said, I did not shop around or anything.  My egg was a complete impulse buy.  
    Oh well, no regrets.  The dealer still gives me free odds and ends every time I go in, so there's that.
    Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I just got a large last week in CA (gotta take that into account) assembled w/ nest, bag of charcoal, plate setter, ash tool (found the shop vac works much better than trying to scrap ash out), starters, chicken sitter and I think a couple of other trinkets $1300 and change inc. 8.5% tax.

Be sure to get a plate setter, at least that's what I've been told being a nube.

You'll love it, got a butt going today and can't wait, ribs the other day were primo.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Seems high to me. Look for an eggfest.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Cast iron grate, pizza stone and rib rack are my must haves!!
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • weekender
    Options
    As @tulocay stated look for an Eggfest near you as you can save a ton of money.  I just picked up my Demo Egg from Eggtoberfest and paid $750 which included tax.  The package was a LBGE, Nest, Plate Setter, Grip Tool, Ash Tool, Box of Starters, 10# bag of BGE charcoal.  It was only cooked on for the day.

Northwest GA, Large BGE (w/Nest), Plate Setter

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Get a plate setter and if you want to do brisket...Amazon has a Big Green egg brand Digi q from Island outdoor for $250 (got $40) to apply for amazon credit card...the unit shipped today ..paid the card and canceled it...so $215 shipped...get a pizza stone breads n pies....and the most important... GET A Thermapen!!!!!! I

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Options
    tulocay said:
    Seems high to me. Look for an eggfest.
    Yes, look for an Eggfest near you. I got an XL BGE for $1100 at an Eggfest (Indy Eggfest) this August. It came with a nest and some other small items and 20% off any additional item I bought for it. The egg was only used the day of the fest. 
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    You would want a platesetter, or woo w/stone, for indirect cooking. That was one of my first needs. Raising the grill height and indirect can be done with both. Then you can get into Adjustable rigs and stacking grills and all the other cool mods. Have fun, just get everything!
    :-j
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @MoJack‌, Welcome to the best outdoor cooking forum on the web. Lots of great people with an abundance of information. I looked on the forum prior to getting my LBGE, but only was focused on which size to get. Also, I was a very inexperienced outdoor cook, so I didn't take a lot of stuff into consideration. Since you've got some experience, I suggest looking through the threads to find information about specific accessories that fit your wants/needs for cooking. A package deal might work for you, but you might come out better if you purchase just the stuff you need/want.
    I personally feel that the absolute necessities will include a means of cooking indirect, some kind of tool to stir the ash and remove it. Something to remove the hot grate. A way to raise the grate to felt level. And a good food thermometer to have safe food while maximizing taste without overcooking.
    I use three $1.50 fire bricks to raise the grid, a Plate Setter for indirect, the BGE grill gripper and ash tool(very happy both of these), and a ThermoPop thermometer. I have a few others, but just listed the essentials.
    Even if money is not an issue, I suggest getting just the essentials first so your not tripping over junk you might not use. I would say the biggest decision on the basics is the choice for indirect cooking. The Ceramic Grill Store will give you some other options to the Plate Setter. Good luck with your purchase.
    I forgot the most important accessory, at least to the other members that is. A camera to post pics of your cooks. ;)
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The grid lifter is a very useful tool. It works great to keep the hot grid from sliding around on the woo while I scrub the gunk off of it, Like a pair of pliers.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    I agree with most of the comments.What i got, and am very happy with, is the side tables (attached, fold up on the side) plate setter, ash tool and the cover. Very happy with all including the cover. Many do not get that, but in OH we get snow...so i like it for that. And the quality is really good. I have regularly used all of these items. I would recommend not buying a lot initially until you see what you may use.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    3 step process.

Contact your bank to finance a 2nd mortgage.
    Find a good meat processing plant.
    Contact a local beer and liquor distributer.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bcsnave
    Options
    Ummmm .....what the Apple said

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

Glenbeulah, WI

• bcsnave
    Options
    oh and don't forget a.......Thermapen

Glenbeulah, WI

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Since you have an offset, do you have a remote thermometer like the Maverick.  Comes in really handy on the low and slows.  Something else that isn't really a must is a dutch oven.  I use my 7qt Lodge all the time for stews, chilis and cobblers.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Gloves....definitely gloves. I bought the BGE gloves but my ACE Hardware has the same gloves w out the logo for a few dollars less. No matter where you get them get some high temp gloves. I use them on every cook. Especially pizza cooks and when using a cast iron skillet. SWMBO also likes them for the few times we've used the indoor oven since the egg purchase. I can't say it enough....GLOVES.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    and one Blackstone pizza oven, best accessory money can buy
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Options
    BGE is like Harley Davidson, or a boat.  Everything they sell is expensive, but I wouldn't Q any other way.
  • MoJack
    Options

I pulled the trigger on the LBGE package. They are delivering tomorrow morning.

I do have a Maverick already that I used on my offset. Also, I like the idea of having a cover because I'm @ 7200 ft and our winters are pretty harsh.