Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double crust Chicago Style Stuffed Pizza

2»

Comments

• That looks fantastic! Thanks for the pics. Will be in my rotation soon when I can be reunited with the Egg.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Brilliant TJ!  I love the idea of the full crust.  Great idea and great execution!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Awesome looking pie.  You've now raised the bar pretty high for deep dish.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Incredible.  Very nice job!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    This reminds me just how much I miss my Giordanno's Stuffed Pizza's. You hit a home run with this one for sure.
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Nice!
    Edina, MN

• bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    What dough recipe did you use?
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited June 2013
    What dough recipe did you use?
    I've had this a while.  I believe it was from the Food Network.  Original said to oil the pan with olive oil, but I've had better results with Crisco.  Usually put in fridge overnight, but this was last minute, so just let it rise for 3 hours in the bowl, then another hour or so in the pan.  Results were great.  If using an 11" pan, makes enough for 2.

Chicago-style Deep Dish Pizza Dough

1 1/2 cups warm water

1/2 tablespoon active dry yeast

1/2 tablespoon sugar

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup semolina flour

1/2 cup shortening

1 teaspoon salt

Mix water, yeast & sugar.  Let sit for 5 minutes

Using dough hook on mixer add shortening, 2 cups of the AP flour and salt then mix for 5 minutes.  Add 1 more cup of AP flour and the semolina flour, mix until a dough ball is formed.  Add the remaining 1/2 of AP flour as needed.  Dough should be wet but shouldn't stick to your hands.

Put in frig to rise over night.  Take out about 2 - 3 hours before use.

Stabilize Egg to 500 degrees for at least 30 minutes before baking. Raised Indirect.

Grease a deep dish pizza pan with Crisco. Pat out dough in the pan and top.

Bake about 15 - 20 minutes.

SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited October 2014
    I'm a little over a year late but seeing how someone bumped it I feel obligated to say WOW!! That's insane my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TylerA
    TylerA Posts: 85
    I really like deep dish on the egg. Yours looks great!!!
    LBGE
    Huffman, TX
  • Amazing! Thanks for sharing
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    That looks tasty. I like all kinds of pizza especially deep dish. To me deep dish is true pizza pie with having a bottom crust stuff in the middle and a top crust. My in laws and wife love the greasy NY style stuff more. It's good, but I rather have deep dish. :P
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Tjcoley
    Wow. Blast from the past being bumped. I may need to do another this weekend.
    The bump of the post inspired me to make it again.  Double crust, stuffed with a layer of Provolone, a layer of sausage and a layer of mozza.  Topped with another crust, and when it started to brown, some sauce, parm cheese, oregano, and half pepperoni.  Great pizza.

SGH Posts: 28,791
    Brother you have those pizzas down to a art. Excellent looking to say the least.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Yup looks perfect. Ginos east would be jealous!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    I have never been a fan of Chicago style stuffed pizza....until I saw yours!
    That looks great.  Now I may have to figure out how to make this.   You may have converted a thin crust advocate to try making a stuffed pizza. 
    =D>
    LBGE/Maryland
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Looks amazing.  Can't wait to try this.  Atlanta needs a good deep dish restaurant.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • I used ur post to do this one over the weekend. Pepperoni, Italian Sausage and Bacon.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    @rainey75, looks like your salt and pepper shakers are having a good time. May I suggest they get a room...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Deluca
    Deluca Posts: 148
    Had this bookmarked for sometime now. Tonight the plan went into action. Pepperoni, Home made sausage, bacon, olives, onions, jalapeños, mozzerella, provolone, gruyere, and parmesan.
    We went with the double topped version over the crust. 
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Deluca said:
    Had this bookmarked for sometime now. Tonight the plan went into action. Pepperoni, Home made sausage, bacon, olives, onions, jalapeños, mozzerella, provolone, gruyere, and parmesan.
    Holly carb coma batman! Looks wonderful...........

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Color_My_World_Green
    edited June 2018
    That is a fantastic pan pizza you made there. I am going to try one real soon.
    Living life to the fullest in Savannah Georgia
  • Deluca
    Pretty sure I don’t need to eat again until till next Thursday... This pizza was so thick I turned the heat down to about 425 and cooked a little longer. Great recipe here and fun to do. 
  • Deluca
    Deluca said: