Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Max vs Small comparison

Options

Comments

• SmokinTiger81
    Options
    Jim--interesting--at least we both have good taste in eggs.  I know some people with smalls even have problem getting to high temps on the small, but mine goes up to 600/700+ with no problems.  Just seems to be slower getting going than my large, but who knows.  And at home, just easier to use large in the table than small in a nest. 
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I haven't had problems with my small, but with the MM it was up to temp in 15 minutes at Efest...I was using the MM plate setter as I was baking most all day....it also held 350 for a solid 4+ hours with many openings of the MM...
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Btw it is usually just my wife & I at home and we use the small BGE more than the other Eggs...when we get the MM we will use it more because of the less amount of lump it requires...
  • Caymanite
    Options
    $600!  kamado joe jr it is....
    Large BGE - Jupiter, FL
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    My Smoky Joe Jr. is looking better all the time.  Grilled a steak just last night - yum!!  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Caymanite‌ FWIW When was the last time you paid MSRP for anything? Not trying to influence your decision but, if your decision is based upon price alone why own any BGE? Clearly KJ is "cheaper".
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,649
    Options
    After seeing the MM and hearing some folks experience with it I am really digging it. Although since I already have a small, for the price my next egg will probably be the mini. If I didn't already have the small I may lean more toward the MM.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    vidalia1 said:
    The mini woo fits sort of, but you will need the new MM plate setter. $48.00 for the MM plate setter...Ceramic Grill store will need to make adjustments on the Woo...
    so the small woo and stones would work sounds like.
    Seattle, WA
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    vidalia1 said:
    I haven't had problems with my small, but with the MM it was up to temp in 15 minutes at Efest...I was using the MM plate setter as I was baking most all day....it also held 350 for a solid 4+ hours with many openings of the MM...
    You were too busy talking and kissing babies to know how long it really took to get up to temp. It was 10 min btw  :-)
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    @pescadorzih‌ what dealer are you referring to?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Caymanite said:

$600!  kamado joe jr it is....

Whaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!.....whaaaaa!!!!.....quit cryn' about it......whaaaaa!

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• pescadorzih
    Options
    grege345 said:
    @pescadorzih‌ what dealer are you referring to?
    Weavers Hardware in Fleetwood and Douglasville.
    http://www.weavershardware.com
    Scroll down to bottom left of home page to "outdoor living" for their "EGG" price flyer.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • DaveShady
    DaveShady Posts: 48
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I owned a Mini once and would go with Mini Max vs the mini cause its got more capicity and
    I like the lower profile. For folks camping its going to be able to do more than mini for sure.

20% off including the eggs... man if our distributor caught us doing that 8-X

We had KJ also for a while cause ACE sells them we got kinda told no on that one. 
    It all depends on the distributor for the stores I think. Theres a shop 50 miles from us
    in a different territory that has the P word and BGE all in the same room..... 
    @-)    
    User, Abuser of the Big Green Egg Clinton Iowa
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Folks, I may have missed this answer which I put in one of the MM threads.  These MM threads get huge quickly and they are tough to keep up with....

So, how is it to cook when you are so closed to the lump all the time?  Is the platesetter enough to protect meat from the heat?

It would seem that the Small would give a better cooking experience.

Obvious plus being the portability of the max, and the increased dome area.

I've only cooked on a large.  Like the look of the MM though.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @vidalia1‌ how will the MM use less lump? Some fire box and diameter it seems to me they will burn the same amount of lump you will just have to fill the MM more.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Lit said:
    @vidalia1‌ how will the MM use less lump? Some fire box and diameter it seems to me they will burn the same amount of lump you will just have to fill the MM more.
    @lit Less thermal mass to heat, I suppose.
  • pescadorzih
    Options

I was there yesterday and the salesmen were saying they had to have permission from Weber and Stihl to sell their products at 20% off. I don't know if the same thing had to happen with BGE.

SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Folks, I may have missed this answer which I put in one of the MM threads.  These MM threads get huge quickly and they are tough to keep up with....

So, how is it to cook when you are so closed to the lump all the time?  Is the platesetter enough to protect meat from the heat?

It would seem that the Small would give a better cooking experience.

Obvious plus being the portability of the max, and the increased dome area.

I've only cooked on a large.  Like the look of the MM though.
    I'm guessing that cooking on the MM will be similar to cooking in the mini. The mini is great for "Oven temp" cooks and high heat searing. I haven't done anything low & slow yet. @Lit may be able to answer this since he has experience with a small and a KJJ, which is very simialr to what the MM will be.
  • Lit
    Options
    @KiterTodd‌ when I did a 6 pound shoulder in the mini I just rotated it several times. It worked fine. I also made an aluminum foil pancake at one point to go between the plate setter and grate and that helped also. It will burn your food on longer cooks due to the limited separation. All this above is my experiences on the mini which is alot like the MM. The KJ still has the normal 4" or so seperstion on their woo like accessory.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    DaveShady said:

We had KJ also for a while cause ACE sells them we got kinda told no on that one. 
    It all depends on the distributor for the stores I think. Theres a shop 50 miles from us
    @-)    
    Are there any dealer restrictions set by Primo, BGE, or KJ?   The Ace I bought my BGE and BSK from sells BGE, BSK and KJ.    The fireplace store down the street also sells Primo and BGE on the same floor.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @vadalia1 the question of distance fire to grid. Not thinking Woo or anything, just at factory level. Is the MM closer or further away than the Mini. Not interested in Small as I sold mine for non-use, but use the hell out of the Mini. Thanks..... Ps: when are you going to hook up that traveling caravan of yours and head to Salado, TX in mid March.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bcsnave
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Lit said:

@cLit..

What you all getting all arousedt??? some one rub you the wrong way?

:)>- ;))

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

Glenbeulah, WI

• Lit
    Options
    @bcsnave‌ why you asking me about arousal and rubbing I don't swing that way.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    There are always trade-offs. The advantage of the MM over the SBGE, is that the MM is portable. That's why they put the handles on the darn thing. The sacrifice is that it won't be as good for low and slow cooks. YOU decide what's more important to you.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • bcsnave
    edited October 2014
    Options

@cLit

Just wondering ......you always get your panties in a knot....thought someone might be getting    

Ol' cLit  all worked up...

=))

Glenbeulah, WI

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Lit said:
    @bcsnave‌ why you asking me about arousal and rubbing I don't swing that way.
    He has been trolling you hard lately.  I think he might have a crush.  

@bcsnave you have used the same stupid joke like 4 times now.  If you are gonna troll someone at least get some new material.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DaveShady
    Options
    odie91 said:
    DaveShady said:

@-)    
    Are there any dealer restrictions set by Primo, BGE, or KJ?   The Ace I bought my BGE and BSK from sells BGE, BSK and KJ.    The fireplace store down the street also sells Primo and BGE on the same floor.
    OUR DISTRIBUTOR does not approve of it. it depends on what part of the country your in and how strict the distributor is. Ours got a lil mad about the smokeware cap that is on our display large......... I understand why its their business and they protect us as a dealer in our town as we are it.
    User, Abuser of the Big Green Egg Clinton Iowa
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    My dealer sells BGE, Weber, Traeger, Saber and will not sell any accessories other the BGE or Weber. I have mentioned the Smokeware cap and they can't sell it because of BGE. I also asked when they will get the Mini Max and they said they haven't heard yet and said it will get to them when it gets to them. I wouldn't get it tell next year unless I need to travel for work and i may have to buy one to travel with me, but the mini maybe easier to travel with.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    There are always trade-offs. The advantage of the MM over the SBGE, is that the MM is portable. That's why they put the handles on the darn thing. The sacrifice is that it won't be as good for low and slow cooks. YOU decide what's more important to you.
    Thanks.  That is what I was wondering.
    Love the portability aspect.  Wasn't sure how much of the BGE experience translates into the shorter version because I have only cooked on a large.  I'm certainly interested...
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KielbasyKing
    Options
    vidalia1 said:
    I put a 16 inch granite tile under the Mini Max when I used it at Eggtoberfest....it was hot when it was moved. MSRP will be $598 for Mini Max & stand + $49 for the MM plate setter...
    How much space would you recommend now having the insight about the granite slab of cook the MM over?

When you have to shoot...shoot....don't talk!