Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butcher Paper Question

Options
Hi Everyone,

I live in northern NJ and can never find butcher paper for wrapping brisket.  I also noticed there is waxed paper, non-waxed paper......I would assume I would want to use non-waxed paper?

Questions:

Can someone recommend a brand & size paper they like to use when smoking brisket?

Does anyone know where I could buy the recommended butcher paper online?  When I go on amazon, it brings up craft paper and I can never tell if it is waxed or not.  Is craft paper the same thing?

Thank you!

Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg

Comments

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    low -

I was on a similar quest a few weeks ago here in Houston and looked for local butcher supply spots.  I suspect that you will have good luck in your neck of the woods within 30 minutes of home.  Here I found one and ended up with a roll of 36" wide roll of unwaxed paper.  It weighs about 40 pounds and is enough paper for the rest of my life, or one weekend with CenTex and SGH.

Fair warning, butcher supply places have lots and lots of things that you might want to buy.

Good luck
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    ive ordered stuff from this place before, lots of good stuff

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=contact_us
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    is butcher paper similar to parchment paper?  I recently bought parchment paper at my local grocery store.  Located near aluminum foil.  The parchment paper says it is rated to 430 degrees F.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    is butcher paper similar to parchment paper? 
    Parchment paper (or at least what we have for baking) will often have a silicone coating on them, which I would, for this purpose, avoid.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Here is a bunch for a little.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    I just go to the butcher counter, they will usually give you some, I don't do it often..........I have also used parchment paper and it worked about the same
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌
    Question my friend. How do you post a link like you did above? What I'm trying to ask is how did you make the word "here" be the link? I have seen others do it as well. Thanks.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options

SGH said:
    @Eggcelsior‌ Question my friend. How do you post a link like you did above? What I'm trying to ask is how did you make the word "here" be the link? I have seen others do it as well. Thanks.
    Type your text, like "HERE".  Copy "HERE".  Select insert hyperlink, and copy and paste your link.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Eggcelsior‌ Question my friend. How do you post a link like you did above? What I'm trying to ask is how did you make the word "here" be the link? I have seen others do it as well. Thanks.
    You're creating a hyperlink. Go to the page you want tp link to and highlight the URL. Come back the the text-edit box here and highlight the word you want to add the link to. Then, click on "Insert Hyperlink"(top right of the text box, 4 spots left of the emoji icon). Right click and paste the link into the drop down box and click insert. This only works on the full site, not the mobile version.

Otherwise, just copy and paste the site into the text box if you are using the mobile site.
  • SGH
    Options
    @tarheelmatt‌
    Thanks brother tar. I will get my wife to explain your explanation to me.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Sams...huge roll.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lowandslow
    Options
    Thank you, everybody.

Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited October 2014
    Options
    we have butcher paper at ceramic grill store.  Rolls are 24" wide, 250 feet long, 40#, wax free and FDA approved.  We include shipping in the price.  250 feet is plenty of paper for the typical backyard cook.  24" wide is best as it give you ample room to wrap a long brisket either direction on the paper.  Wax free paper allows air to circulate through the paper fibers.  Air circulation is key and is what differentiates paper from foil.  40# is ample thickness for wrapping Q.

We get the butcher paper directly from the paper producer.  They told us to stay away from Kraft paper.  It generally includes recycled paper and is not FDA approved.  

Any other questions about it, just ask away.

t  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    SGH said:
    @tarheelmatt‌ Thanks brother tar. I will get my wife to explain your explanation to me.
    SGH, in the "Leave a comment" box where you type your text.  take your mouse pointer and hold it over the different items at the top of the box, first one is a Bold B for Bolding text. If you let your mouse point at it for a few seconds, a little box will pop-up stating what it does.  Find the one that says "Insert hyperlink" (it's the 5th one from the right).  So you want to do a copy of your desired url address, then with the mouse highlight the text you want to be your hyperlink, then click on the "Insert hyperlink" icon, paste the url into the box, then submit.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Here is the link to ABCO Paper in Austin where Franklin BBQ purchases it from. I have an roll that I have not used yet but will try using one day. http://eccos2.ubsys.com/abco2/catalogdetail.asp?id=OII-BPK18-10&formname=browse
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options

Hyperlink test here

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Thanks.  I just became 1% less tech-ignorant.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options

I know typically you only see brown butcher paper but can you use white or brown butcher paper as long as it is not waxed.....?

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @Zmokin‌ @Eggcelsior‌
    Thank you as well for the explanation my friends.

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    corey24 said:

I know typically you only see brown butcher paper but can you use white or brown butcher paper as long as it is not waxed.....?

yep
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....