Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where to buy fresh Jumbo Wings in Johns Creek, Alpharetta, Roswell, GA

I want to find a butcher or meat shop that sells fresh Jumbo Chicken Wings. 

I usually buy wings at Whole Foods but they don't have the Jumbo

There was a crew from Pittsburgh at Eggtoberfest that had a GREAT wing recipe that I plan to cook this Saturday for football and the guy said the wings came from a butcher in Alpharetta.  I should have written down the name. 

I'll head ITP if need be. 

Thanks! 
New Albany, Ohio 

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Waiting patiently on this one!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231

Bueller?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Fergusons off hwy 369 has the best wings around here. They also carry blues hog BBQ sauce.
  • Lit
    Fergusons off hwy 369 has the best wings around here. They also carry blues hog BBQ sauce.
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Hey...why not try Fergies off of highway 369...heard they got good wings and a decent sauce

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• THEBuckeye
    @bcsnave

Thanks. Ferguson's is 16.5 miles from home. I'll check it out! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Thanks @Lit‌. ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    + 3 on Fergusons.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    edited October 2014
    Never been to Ferguson's but I've gotten wings @ DaButcher on McGinniss Ferry and they were good. I've also heard good things about Wilkes Meat Market on PIB in Suwanee but haven't been there either. 

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• @THEBuckeye‌ can you post the recipe?
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • Lit
    Here is a pic of a bag of wings I got from Fergusons. They are not the small bony crap you find around here alot. That a full size baking sheet at the bottom for size comparison. They are also not expensive they come in 5lb bags and its like $13 a bagimage
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    @Lit is that some new KJ cooking device? j/k >:)

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Have you checked Patton's Meat Market in Duluth?

Great place!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Lit
    @hic yes sir. Its the divide/divide/divide and conquer system. The stackable cookie sheet works really well to put them in the fridge for a couple hours to dry the skin a little.
  • THEBuckeye
    @stillsmokin

Here you go. From Eggtoberfest. 

These Wings at EGGTOBERFEST were fantastic. I'm going to do them Saturday

Ingredients:

2 lbs Wings (preferably fresh)
    3 Cups Water
    1/4 Cup Kosher Salt
    1/4 White Sugar
    3 Tablespoons Red Pepper Flakes
    6 Cloves Fresh Garlic - Peeled/Smashed
    2 Tablespoons EVOO
    4 Tablespoons Dry Rub (they had their own brand. I'll use Dizzy something)

Brine:

Combine cold water, salt and sugar in large bowl and whisk until fully dissolved. Add pepper flakes, garlic and wings. Cover. Refridgerate 4-8 hours. 

Remove wings, pat dry with paper towels. Place wings in fresh bowl, coat w/ EEVO. Liberally apply Dry Rub working into all crevices

Indirect, 325. Use fruitwood chips (apple pecan or cherry) and smoke for approx 1 hour 45 minutes. 

Remove Wings, set up Egg for direct. Place Wings on Grate for 3-4 minutes unit skin is crispy. Remove and let rest for 10-15.

This is from JBQ from Pittsburgh. They were likely the best wings I ever had short of my favorite, $3 Cafe here in Atlanta. Juicy with a sneaky gentle heat. 

P.S. They used Jumbo Wings. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    I've been to DaButcher and Pattons. Patton's is good, not as impressed with Da Butcher ( although he does have an XL that he cooks on).

I took a quick drive this morning to Fergusons to check it out. GREAT store. Bought some steaks for tonight and to check out the jumbo wings. They looked good. 

For any North Metro eggers that haven't been to Fergusons, make the trip.

400 North, Exit 369 (first light), Turn Left and it's just past Highway 9.

They also sell Eggcessories, smoking chips and good lucking to -go deserts, basic veggies, etc. 

I will go back tomorrow to buy the wings so I can start the Brine Saturday morning. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Lit
    If you continue down 369 a couple miles there is another good meat market Wilkes. I prefer Fergusons now but if you are up there its worth checking out.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    edited October 2014
    Lit said:
    If you continue down 369 a couple miles there is another good meat market Wilkes. I prefer Fergusons now but if you are up there its worth checking out.
    +1 on this. My old high school stomping grounds. Fergusons is better IMO, plus their lunch specials are really good. Wilkes sends out more coupons though which is why we'll sometimes go there instead. Both A+.

If you go to Wilkes - make sure you stop by Leon's (yes, inside the gas station) next door and get one of their milkshakes. 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• THEBuckeye
    Didn't there used to be a Wikes near 285 and PIB? 

And isn't there one on PIB well north of Pleasant Hill?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• bcsnave

Hey I just heard theres another place down 369 a couple miles called Wilkes. I don't remember where I heard it but...check it out .

Maybe it was the Lit guy...that said it

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

Glenbeulah, WI

• THEBuckeye

Just picked up 3 lbs of the Jumbo's at Fergusons.

Will brine before GameDay starts! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• bcsnave
    that'a boy....heard Ferusons is down the road from Wilkes....

Glenbeulah, WI

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Pattons' is the one up PIB @ North Berkeley Lake.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • THEBuckeye

Been to Patton's many times

They sell Kamados

The dark side. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• I bought some nice wings at Wilkes two weeks ago. They are located in on Peachtree Industrial in Swanee just north of Swanee Damn Road.
    Johns Creek, GA Large BGE Weber Kettle Weber Genesis
  • Looking for large chicken drumsticks the best OTP location I have found with consistent large pieces is COSTCO. I have tried Dekalb Farmers Market with good results and if you care excellent tasting non-GMO Bell and Evans chicken. Wilkes Meat markets from my perspective is inconsistent at best. After shopping at Wilkes for many years I have realized their chicken is not necessarily from local sources. I now buy all my meat at either COSTCO or Dekalb Farmers Market. DFM is not real convenient and little more expensive but worth the trip if you want a superior product.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    These jumbo are call turkey and they are very good. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.