Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Piece of Butt

Options
That might have made a good title for a short novel, but hell I'm 61 so we won't bother.

Anyway I chickened out starting these last night being the first time, so got up at 0 Dark-Thirty.  Had everything ready to go but the lighting and they were in the egg (220-230 degrees) at 0500.  Rubbed with Memphis Dust using some hickory and apple.

Thinking I'm going to like this Maverick gadget.  It's reading about 20-30 degrees cooler than the dome temp, guess that's to be expected.

This pic is about 1.5 hours in, pics from first putting them on came out like crap.

imageimage
LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 

Comments

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Looking good, keep us posted.  I like my Maverick a lot because you can set the alarms and do whatever you need to with peace of mind.  At first the dome and grid temps will be off as you noticed, but eventually they will get a lot closer unless you keep peeking at it.  s the saying goes, if you're lookin, you're not cookin.  Enjoy.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Looks good so far. Awaiting final pics.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Looking good, keep us posted.  I like my Maverick a lot because you can set the alarms and do whatever you need to with peace of mind.  At first the dome and grid temps will be off as you noticed, but eventually they will get a lot closer unless you keep peeking at it.  s the saying goes, if you're lookin, you're not cookin.  Enjoy.
    I'm being a good boy and only peaked once to get that pic, but it ain't easy.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I was soooo expecting a different thread based on the title.
    But while we're on that topic....

Congrats on the smoked butt!  My Maverick is a favorite tool as well.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I love my Maverick as well. Great post title. It made me click it. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • logchief
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks all.  It's been 6 hours and looks like it's hitting that stall,  Dome 250-60, Maverick Grill 245ish and meat has been hovering slowly up from 155-162 the last hour and a half or so.  Maybe I'll get lucky and be done for dinner.

I want to find a good slaw dressing, not very sweet at all (no pineapple, bleh) and tangy.  Any ideas

I had to peek and get a quick pic
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Some will say you shouldn't look at your butt, but I think its OK.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • logchief
    Options
    As long as you're not scratching it, huh ;)
  • ChadEggHeadEst2014
    Options
    Congratulations on your first butt. I hate when people want to take a peek because when you open up it was all that heat and doesn't cook evenly. Once I put it in I do not take a look until the beeper goes off. I love my maverick. The best investment I ever made. Especially when doing a slow smoke. I set it to the temperature I want and go back to sleep. The only bad thing when I am sleeping on the couch about 50 feet away it loses the signal and beeps every noun then. Does that happen to any body else is there a way to boost the signal?
  • logchief
    Options
    Just pulled them off, 198-204 temp as I poked around.  These eggs are amazing.  Just gave my bride a sample, oh and me three or four, WOW.  I almost think they could have come off a little bit earlier, but hell this was the first (you know how it was the first time 8-}).

Thanks everybody for all the great info here, helps make it all Eggcessful.

Better get busy pulling, wish I had the claws I ordered from Amazon, but it's all good.  Got the slaw ready and will post up a plate pic.
    imageimageimage
  • logchief
    Options
    All pulled, this will last us a while, going into the FoodSaver bags, for tasty samies later. My little buddy got a couple of treat too.imageimage
  • BigAlDaddy
    Options
    A pile of great looking pork a keystone light and a great looking dog. What more could you ask for.
    LGBE Marietta, GA
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    Nice cook! It only gets better! Enjoy.
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • ChadEggHeadEst2014
    Options
    I did my first butt with the bone in few weeks ago. It was so much better I am going to try to find bone in for now on.
  • Stidrvr
    Stidrvr Posts: 54
    Options
    I spy some Shed BBQ sauce, has to be my favorite sauce to date! Southern Sweet that is.
  • logchief
    Options
    Stidrvr said:
    I spy some Shed BBQ sauce, has to be my favorite sauce to date! Southern Sweet that is.
    Your right on there with the Shed, actually just saw this first time today at the store and thought I'd give it a try.  Added some Heart Breaking Dawn's 1498 Trinidad Scorpion sauce with it to heat it up.  Pretty darn tasty.  HBD makes some great sauces with super hot peppers.  Growing hot peppers is one of my hobbies.

Slaw with some Jalapenos.  

The rest of it is vac sealed for more quick dinners 

No fancy plate up, but geeeese it's good.  BGE is the best thing I've bought in a long time.
    imageimage
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Very nice, great job man. The pulled pork on an egg is one of my favorites, looks delicious!
    =D>
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Oh, and the look the dog is giving with those eyes!!! Priceless!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • logchief
    Options
    Thanks Anton sure enjoyed it,  I would surely recommend the Sweet/Sour slaw dressing on Amazing Ribs, that will be a keeper for us.  I added 1/2 tsp. of  extra hot horseradish and a jalapeno.

The dog's on point, I'm holding a piece of pork as well as the camera.