Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Honduran Mahogany LBGE table arrives tomorrow! Can't wait!

Options
Guys are bringing it tomorrow afternoon! Looking forward to a better built home for my LBGE! Also replacing the devastated gasket with the high heat gasket from the mothership and working on the underbite! Anxious to get back into cooking mode! I hope to have some before and after pics tomorrow night!

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Standing by my friend. Standing by.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    I hope not to disappoint brother SGH! Am I supposed to let the gasket cure for a period? Maybe I will do something special on Friday! Give it at least 18 hours to set the gasket? Who knows I'm kinda still a noob at this!
  • Bayarad
    Options
    I do see a tri tip in my future as it is a beautiful cut of beef!
  • SGH
    Options
    As far as the gasket I cant say. Why? I use the Rutland. The Permatex used for the Rutland has to cure for 24 hours before first fire. Maybe others who use the same gasket as you can offer more my friend. And for the record, I enjoy your posts. No disappointment on my end my friend. Will be standing by and watching. And again congratulations on the table. Enjoy!!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @Bayarad‌- What gasket are you getting? Nomex?

Status- Standing by.

• Bayarad
    Options
    Just a BGE High heat gasket looks a lot like the original to be honest with you but I will explore other options in the Spring just looking to get through this Northern Illinois Winter!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Bay, just dry scrape the ceramic sides where you will be laying the gasket. really dry scrape it. If you need, use rubbing alcohol liberally to wet and take it all out. I even used a small butane torch to melt all the glue residue.

Sand the ceramic (dry) lightly with a gritty sand paper, wipe dry.

Lay the felt starting from the back side of the egg where the hinges are, (I would duck tape the end and or along so you know its gonna be good, give it a generous extra before you cut.

then take the backing out and stick it on, as you go along, snug it it in and back so you have a thick layer of it and not stretched out and thin. Hope you get it.

Close the lids stay overnight, then one low and slow. After that, sky is the limit. :)

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Bayarad
    Options
    Thanks @Aviator will do just that!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @Bayarad where are thepics, brother?  Egghead nation is getting anxious
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Bayarad
    Options
    I posted them about an hour ago in the other thread I started entitled "The Artisan Table has landed" then realized they could be better pics but they do show the degree of improvement from my rickety old table that was about to collapse!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Sorry sorry sorry
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Bayarad
    Options
    It's all good friend I love the new table seems a 1000 percent better constructed than the old one!