Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions About The Adjustable Rig Before I Order

Options
I'm going to order an AR soon and I had a few questions about what to order. I'm going with the top kit, but I'm not sure which rack to order (the oval or round). I'm guessing the oval allows you to slide it out on the bars and round obviously does not? Also, does the stock grate work with the AR? assuming it does I would have two surface of cooking? Stock grate and new grate. I was gonna get a woo as well, but I'm guessing a "naked" AR dose the same thing? Or are there benefits to getting both? I only have one egg, and already have a platesetter that I would end up using if I buy another large egg in the future.

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have the adjustable rig R&B with the oval stone, an oval rack and the extended rig. You can also use the stock grate on top of the AR with the oval grate and oval stone underneath.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Just use the phone number and call Tom. He is a very good guy and an EggHead. He will ask you a few questions and send just what you need.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    x 2 on calling Tom. He's a great guy and really helpful. I have the AR r&b oval combo and rig extender with my large. Very versatile setup that lets me cook anything I want, and as much of it as I want. I've had nearly 200 wings on the Egg at one time. The oval stone does slide in and out easily, but most importantly, it goes fron to back all the way with the air/heat coming up the sides. That allows long pieces of meat to not have direct char spots, ie ribs and briskets. It also holds a rectangular drip pan much better, in my opinion.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Get the oval, stock grid fits on top if you want round.
    I got 2 oval and the sliding D grid with the extender. Very versatile, I should have gotten an extra set of crossbars.

Sold my woo, stock grid on top is the same thing, minus the plate setter fit.
    Seattle, WA
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Call the number and talk Tom. I'm the kind of person that hates doing over the phone business but I would have saved so much money on shipping had I called him first instead of ordering in 3 shipments before I called him.  Obviously not Tom's fault, just my own stupidity. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Stidrvr
    Stidrvr Posts: 54
    Options
    Yeah, I was hoping to order it tonight, but I'll wait til tomorrow and call. What are everyone's thoughts on the woo and the "naked" AR? Are they pretty much the same thing, in that I won't need both?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @Stidrvr‌ - Brother its a matter of personal choice. I own both the AR and the Woo. For 95% of my cooks I use the Woo for either raised direct or indirect with the plate setter. I just like it better. If you already have a plate setter the Woo would be the far cheaper choice. And again I use the Woo daily. At most I use the AR once or twice a year. The Woo is just a good basic design that will cover most cooking circumstances with little fuss. Both are good choices though. Can't go wrong with either. Or you could do like I did and buy both.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I bought the AR R&B with oval grid and the extender up on top. It's awesome and you won't regret the purchase. I'm going to add a spider next!! As far as your question of oval vs. round grid.... To me, the oval grid with oval stone works best for most meats because of its shape. You can do a couple racks of ribs side by side, a packer brisket, two pork butts, etc. with matched heat deflection for indirect cooking with the oval stone. My platesetter is collecting dust now! I like the extender because it allows you to cook super high in the dome. Perfect for pizzas or to keep meat well away from direct heat from the fire. I cook sausages and bacon abts up there too.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Like everyone has said make the call and its personal preference. I had the large with platesetter. I also had plans to get another Egg. Since that was the case I bought the woo for the large I have and will buy the AR later. Like @sgh said I use my woo almost every time I use my Egg
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I have a woo in both my large and small. 95 percent of my cooks involve the woo. Can't imagine egging without them. I have no experience with the AR.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    For a large BGE I would go with the R & B combo. 2 oval grids and a extender. I feel it gives me the maximum flexibility for what I like to cook. I like the ability to shift levels easily with the oval grids. I also like the slide capability. For my XL I would not get an AR but just the woo2. These are my opinions and not the only way to go. Tom can help guide you in the right direction.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i would skip the woo and get the spider and the small stone that fis down low under the AR
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Stidrvr
    Options
    Called Tom today, great guy! Turns out he grew up in same town I did in Wisconsin, who knew?! Decide to go with the RnB combo and the extender. I was gunna get another oval grate but I don't foresee myself needed 3 levels of cooking, if I do, I'll grab another one. Oh, and I picked up another set of cross bars. Can't wait!
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    3 levels is a bit much but when you want that second rack of ribs on the extender that extra oval grid comes in handy. fwiw
    Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV
    Options
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    What do people cook on 3 levels?   Can you fit ribs on them?

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • weekender
    Options
    Stidrvr said:
    Called Tom today, great guy! Turns out he grew up in same town I did in Wisconsin, who knew?! Decide to go with the RnB combo and the extender. I was gunna get another oval grate but I don't foresee myself needed 3 levels of cooking, if I do, I'll grab another one. Oh, and I picked up another set of cross bars. Can't wait!
    I am looking at the same set up.  Just curious what will the ext
    ra set of crossbars do?

Northwest GA, Large BGE (w/Nest), Plate Setter

• Stidrvr
    Options
    They're really only if you lose one of the other ones. They're only 7.00 for another set, I don't plan on losing them, but if manage to lose one at least I'll have a spare. Also, I could see using them for some other height setup or a drip pan.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    @Stidrvr
    That is the set up I have as well, I gave my platesetter to a friend that needed one. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Stidrvr
    Options
    So I got my order from CGS today, and although everything was great, I should have gone with my gut and got the Woo too. Using the AR with a rack on top, the rack moves around a bit. But it's also higher then the felt line. With what I'd like to use raised direct for, this isn't going to work well. It will be awesome for pulled pork and briskest though.
  • SkinnyV
    edited October 2014
    Options