Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Help With a Large Movement

A Large BGE that is!

Starting to get quotes for movers to get us from Chicago to Texas.

How would you recommend prepping and moving a Large Egg.

Thanks in advance, y'all! (practicing)
Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
Dennis - Austin,TX

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    I had a large movement this weekend, lost a whole pant size =))
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited October 2014
    Speaking of 'Large Movement's ... saw a commercial not too long ago, If I can share.

The commercial opens up with a shot of NIagara Falls ... and the power of the water flowing down, a picture of Kaopectate is super-inposed on the screen, then a voice comes on and says ...

'Kaopectate - So Effective, It Could Turn Niagara Falls Into Cement' ...

When I saw this (Haven't seen it since) I burst out laughing like I haven't laughed in years. Wish I had had a DVR to record this. It was classic.

Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Since you're going to Texas... Leave the Large and sell it to the new owners and then buy yourself an XL in Texas.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    My first thought is to let them do it their way. That way if a mishap occurs it is on them. You could see if your local dealer has the boxes left from a recently sold large and repack yours there. It might be more stable and better padded. Just a thought
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    @Crimsongator

The guy that came yesterday basically said they could just roll it on the truck in it's table to which I said: "no, no."

I'm thinking take off the top, remove the removables and pack them in boxes then pack the top and bottom in boxes or have them build a crate.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    i leave everything in the egg, full of lump, stack corrugated cardboard under it, reset the dome with corrugated cardboard between dome and base and tie the dome down so it doesnt bounce. if its in a table maybe something soft between table top and base
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Consider transporting it yourself if that could be worked out. Then get lots and lots of bobble wrap and strapping tape...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • dmchicago
    XC242 said:
    Consider transporting it yourself if that could be worked out. Then get lots and lots of bobble wrap and strapping tape...
    Not an option. I'm transporting the dog.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    dmchicago said:
    @Crimsongator

The guy that came yesterday basically said they could just roll it on the truck in it's table to which I said: "no, no."

I'm thinking take off the top, remove the removables and pack them in boxes then pack the top and bottom in boxes or have them build a crate.

I'm inclined to agree with the mover, leave the Egg in the table.  However, you might want to do like others have said.  Maybe bubble wrap the internal pieces, then place them back in the egg.  flat cardboard piece between dome and base, then bungy the dome closed.  Insert some cardboard or closed-cell foam between the gap in the table and the Egg.  and same goes for under the supports under the bottom of the egg.  If worried about things in the moving van falling on the egg, then pile a bunch of blankets on top of the egg after it is secured in the moving van. 
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited October 2014
    Those guys move things more fragile and much more valuable than an Egg.  Let them do it their way and be responsible. They have insurance if it gets broken. If they don't have insurance, get a different mover.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Those guys move things more fragile and much more valuable than an Egg.  Let them do it their way and be responsible. They have insurance if it gets broken. If they don't have insurance, get a different mover.
    Gotta agree, then if they break it you can use the $$ to get an XL like hapster said.  If you pack anything and give it to them deals off if it breaks and it's your nickle.  That's what your're paying them for IMHO.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Throw some food on the egg and forget about TX.
    In all seriousness, anything transported by movers is risky. I've used movers several times when I was in the Army and they never failed. Never failed to deliver my stuff without breaking something that is. Let 'em pack it and cross your fingers or try to get original packing box and still cross your fingers. Good luck
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Pack the internal parts separately, padded appropriately in boxes, have the movers pack and move the egg itself under their own terms as others above have suggested. Most importantly, check with moving co, regarding their insurance payouts and how it is handled,what is, and what isn't covered, and all the fine print,etc,etc. In the event egg is broken, make sure the value is stated on paper. Just my 2 cents.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    I'm not too confident with moving company's.... Have you tried a UPS store???? I know they'd pack it right.
  • dmchicago
    Guys, I dare say I've moved more times than most of you combined. So I understand moving companies liability, etc.

Just never with something so valuable.

We will be buying full replacement coverage insurance. Otherwise, the standard is so many pennies per pound. 

I think the best suggestion(s) are to have the removables packed on their own and have the movers move it as they see fit as several have suggested.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    edited October 2014
    dmchicago said:

XC242 said:

How bigs the dog? Will he fit in the egg?
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • dmchicago
    td66snrf said:
    XC242 said:
    How bigs the dog? Will he fit in the egg?
    Hmmm...

Dennis - Austin,TX