Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dreamland ribs in B'Ham

Traveling for work this week and had lunch with a customer at Dreamland in Birmingham, AL yesterday. He raved about it and said I had to get the ribs. Being a good sport I ordered the half rack with stew. The stew was really good, the banana budding was top shelf, the ribs...surprisingly just okay. Now I'm not a rib connoisseur, I'm much more of a pulled pork fan, but I have to be honest, my ribs on the BGE are much better than Dreamland's. They weren't terrible, but for all the hoopla, I was disappointed. Am I off base here, have I been BGE brainwashed? Am I that good a cook? Maybe I'll just order the pork plate next time.

Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Remember what people grow up on or like isn't necessarily good. Their banana pudding is pretty good however
  • nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    After growing up in B'ham, I think it is safe to say that Dreamland is the most overrated BBQ place around.  If you are back in B'ham, check out Saw's in Homewood.  
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I tried the one in Mobile. Got them back to the room and choked down one rib. Ugh.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The original in Tuscaloosa is pretty good. The other locations have always been average to me. For pulled pork, I always like the original Full Moon downtown. I'll second @nealcr1's comment, Saw's in Homewood is hard to beat for ribs though.
    Austin, TX
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    I've had Golden Rule in Irondale several times and enjoy it, much better than Dreamland.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Dreamland near me burned down a year or so ago.  It was just.....OK.  Smoked sausage was the most consistent thing on the menu as far as I could tell.  The egg definitely has my family spoiled on pulled pork and ribs.  Ate pulled pork at my moms house a couple nights ago off their gasser and it wasn't even in the same ballpark as one off the egg.  Had to listen to wife and kids complain the entire way home!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • canman
    canman Posts: 52
    Jim and Nicks in Homewood is not bad, as well.
    Tullahoma, Tennessee.
  • The original dreamlands is best.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    My dreamland q
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    Stop bsing. None of your ribs are nearly as good as any Dreamlands in Bama. To say otherwise is lying to yourselves.