Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen Question

I am going to order my first thermapen today, but I also want the chefalaram from Thermoworks I am hoping for some opinions on the chefalarm.
Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I don't know about the chef alarm but I hear the fastest thermapens are the orange ones.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Bojangles
    Bojangles Posts: 118
    what @shtgunal3 meant to say was british RACING green.

I've got a Maverick, so I haven't tried the ChefAlarm.
    Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
    --------------------------------------------
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
    --------------------------------------------
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    You'll love the Thermapen, can't give any input on Chefalarm, enjoy them though!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Thermapen fantastic. No input on the Chef alarm (don't have one to form an opinion).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    I have the time stick so that is my alarm.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I have three ChefAlarms and love them. 

I got my first one last October and then bought a few more because I liked that one so much.  They are my "go-to" for remote probe thermometers.  Just like every Thermoworks product, it is accurate, easy to use, and well designed.  Long battery life, haven't replaced one yet.  The display is easy to read and I like that it keeps max/min temps as well as the current temp. 

I did a full review here: http://www.nibblemethis.com/2013/11/reverse-seared-tri-tip-and-thermoworks.html

My only wish is that they come out with a dual probe version. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Buy the silicone glow in the dark cover with the magnets for the thermapen. Then you can stick it to the fridge.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009

Thermapen....and a silicone cover ...you'll love it...

Get the CyberQ WIFI and use the app/e-mail  notification as the chefalarm

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I have three ChefAlarms and love them. 

I got my first one last October and then bought a few more because I liked that one so much.  They are my "go-to" for remote probe thermometers.  Just like every Thermoworks product, it is accurate, easy to use, and well designed.  Long battery life, haven't replaced one yet.  The display is easy to read and I like that it keeps max/min temps as well as the current temp. 

I did a full review here: http://www.nibblemethis.com/2013/11/reverse-seared-tri-tip-and-thermoworks.html

My only wish is that they come out with a dual probe version. 
    If they made one with a remote, I'd order 2 today.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    I have 2 Mavericks and 4 ChefAlarms. The ChefAlarm is more accurate and more durable by far. Keep in mind that the ChefAlarm is not remote however. You have to set it beside the BGE and read it from there. That's not an issue with me.  I seldom use my Mavericks any longer.
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Anyone have a ChefAlarm and an 8060 to provide a comparison?
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Thanks @NibbleMeThis, great post about the chefalarm, I am going to order one and a thermapen today.Thanks for all the other responses to my question.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter