Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need professional input on doing something different with rib rub

Options

Have not been on in a few weeks. tried to avoid some of the banter thars been going back and forth.

Ive been cooking ribs for many years now and there is one thing I have not  tried, putting rub on for the first time towards the end of the cook.

I've noticed that after hours of cook time, sugar in the rub tends to lose its sweet . Garlic powder and onion powder also form an off putting taste. Therefore, has anyone intentionally waited until the later stage of cooking to add rub for the first time. If so, how did they turn out. I'm thinking of doing that this weekend. I think they may be better that way.

What do ya'll think? Thanks.

Comments

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Well, you could always just wait until the very end, then add the rub just like sprinkling salt & pepper or tony chachere's on your food on your plate.

My experience, you can put a lot of salt in food before it tastes too salty, fresh salt on the outside takes a lot less to get that salt taste in your mouth.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Sounds like a good experiment.  Try it out and report findings ASAP.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    I'm with @GATraveller‌ tell us how it goes! BTW, like the handle, Mars Robert would be proud.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Banter? What banter?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    Options
    henapple said:

Banter? What banter?

It was very entertaining and I wanted to be knee deep involved, but resisted. What do you think about waiting until last hour of a rib cook to apply run for first time?