Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Annual Guy's Dove Hunting Trip

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

This past weekend, I headed down to our family's ranch The Dos Locos outside of Goliad, Texas for our annual Guy's Dove Hunting Trip. Although nothing was Egged, I thought I'd share some pictures anyway.

You may or may not know that I went to Baylor and am a huge fan. Hard to snap a picture flying down I35, but here's the new stadium they are builing right on the Brazos river.

The wife asked me to stop and get her a new Baylor shirt for the upcoming Homecoming game. While I was there, I spotted this. If anybody is looking for ideas for a Christmas present for me...

After hunting Thursday night (I got 2 dove, weren't really flying), it was time to pull out Old Faithful, my offset that retired down to the ranch after getting the Egg. On the menu was just some simple wings. Unfortunately, there were no tots involved. :(

Maybe it was the ambiance, being down at the ranch all by myself, no distractions, just a cold bourbon and coke and a book, or maybe I did something right, but these were the best wings I have put out in a long time. It wasn't the recipe as I did them the way I always do. Might sound sacrilegious, but better than any I've done on the Egg in a long time. Regardless, it was a good, quiet first night alone before everybody was sheduled to come in on Friday.

Fast forward to Saturday afternoon. I wanted to cook up something for lunch that would hold us through the evening hunt until we could get back, start a fire and grill steaks for dinner. Awhile back, I saw Chris aka @NibbleMeThis do some Smokey Pork Tenderloin Sliders on his blog and I knew it would be perfect. I started off with 4 yellow onions (he used Vidalia, but I couldn't find them), sliced thin for carmelized onions. He did his on the grill and I was planning to as well, but at the last minute, just did them on the stove.

Next up was the tenderloins. I used Salt Lick rub in lieu of what he used. Good, but it was a bit peppery. Would probably use a different rub next time.

He glazed his with a bacon honey mustard sauce. I was planning on doing that, but there was no honey to be found at the ranch, so mine got a bacon mustard sauce glaze right at the end, pulled at 140F. Sliced super thin, as thin as you can get it.

My plate up picture wasn't the best, because I wasn't sure I was even going to post anything about it, but at the last minute I figured what the hell. Served up on King's Hawaiian Roll sliders, pork tenderlion, coleslaw, carmelized onions and bacon mustard sauce. This stuff was the bomb. Off the hook and the chain both. No, seriously...it was really freakin' good.

So good, I'll probably serve it at the next Eggfest I attend. Or tailgate party. Heck, there's still a bit leftover and I'm having it for lunch today and I'm still excited about it.

And just in case you wanted some proof that we did do some hunting, here's a few I got. Ended up only getting 8 total. I'm telling you, they really weren't flying, but I did take my oldest and best friend and saw him shoot his first dove. He was super excited and now I think he is hooked so it was all worth it. That about wraps it up for another successful Annual Guy's Dove Hunting trip.image

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Are those Mourning Doves?  I thought they'd only be White Wings in Goliad.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Griffin

I didn't see many white wings. I think only one was shot all weekend, although I could be wrong. Of course, leaving the ranch Sunday morning after the cold front had blown through the night before, I was seeing tons of doves. Sneaky devils, waiting till I'm on the road.

Rowlett, Texas

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Is there much to eat on those?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • I was trying to get out yesterday and get some doves for the freezer with the cold front rolling through but had to much going on at the house.

I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion. - John Steinbeck

Katy, Texas

• Griffin
    Ragtop99 said:
    Is there much to eat on those?

Not much. Maybe 4 bites tops and that's if you wrap it in bacon with a slice of jalapeno and some cheese. Good eats, but we eat them more like an appetizer than a meal. You can shoot 15 a day, though, if they are flying in your area.

I wish I had come home iwth more @jessie_rice. My father in law gave me all of his. He likes to hunt them, but I don't think I've ever seen him eat one.

Rowlett, Texas

• warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279

That's one thing I miss about moving from Texas, the dove hunting. Also quail hunting in S.Texas (with snake leggings), wade fishing on the gulf coast, the best mexican food/ seafood/ BBQ going.

I do love the mountains, though, where there are only three full time residents of our mountain, besides the racoons/ foxes/ black bears.

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    I am trying these for a tailgate on sat - cant wait.  

Looks great and it has been on my short list FOREVER - so a little bump isnt all bad is it? 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Looks like a excellent get away and trip. It's been many years since I got to shoot doves. Sure do miss the good ole days my friend. The pics as well as the grub looks excellent!! I really like that ci pot you got there as well. Fixing to google it. Glad you had a blast and thanks for sharing my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Griffin

Thanks @SGH The annual trip is always a good time even if the dove aren't flying.

Never did get that pot. Totally forgot about it. Maybe I should go pick it up myself.

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Man you killed those doves. I am getting a restraining order for 300 yards from my poodle at Salado :)]
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Hell of a nice cook by the way.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    @Mickey that was an old thread dug up by SGH. You have nothing to worry about with your poodles. You know I am a dog lover and would never hurt one.

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    Have you went to Meca (new stadium) yet?

• Griffin
    Not yet. The one game I was going to go to, I threw my back out. Looks like the only game I will be attending this year will be the one where we play TT at Jerry World. I mean Cowboy stadium. I mean AT&T stadium.

Rowlett, Texas

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Ok . . super late but Jesus-Tap-Dancing-Christ these Smokey Pork Tenderloin Sliders are unreal!

Follow Chris aka @nibblemethis recipe for step-by-step (bacon mustard glaze/sauce is too good for words) and you will agree.  Its a new Tailgate staple for us!

Thanks to @griffin for introducing me to this recipe (found it here on the forum & bookmarked) and, of course, thanks to Chris for the creating such a great tailgate slider!

Here is link in case my hyperlink above does not link up: http://www.nibblemethis.com/2013/09/smokey-pork-tenderloin-sliders.html

Also made some poppers w/ cream cheese / white cheddar / green onion / bacon / dizzy dust

fire roasted mini sweet peppers w/ goat cheese

table of saturday tailgate goodness - then we all walked to the OHIO STATE game stuffed.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Great looking food. A slow day of dove hunting is still a great way to hang out with friends.
    LGBE Marietta, GA
  • Griffin
    Glad you liked it @NDG Chris really knows his stuff, huh? I need to get his cookbook still.

Rowlett, Texas