Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

firebricks

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been reading in the Archives about using Firebricks, I was able
to find them at my local farmers co-op
I wondered whether the use of these and the high temps needed %00 to 700 degrees woulkd in any way damage my BGE, some messages seem to indicate that it is possible.

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    David Richer,[p]Unless you have one of the older Eggs, high temps are not a problem. BGE uses a high-tech ceramic that can withstand temps in excess of 1000 degrees.[p]Cathy

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    David Richer,
    At the worst your firebox might crack. I personally think its somewhat related to really high temps but unless I can find Eggs that have never been above 400 deg and don't have cracks in the firebox I would not be able to prove that therory. But even a crack or two in the firebox is not dangerous or even a real concern - it has no effect on the cooking. The fire box is the ceramic "bowl" inside the Egg that cradles the fire. BGE will replace a cracked firebox but until it proves to be anything of a problem I know most of us will just ignore it. I have had my egg up to 1000 several times and BGE says they can go much hotter without harm, I know some here go above that often. High temps is not a concern for the Egg as it is with other non-metal cookers.[p]
    Tim

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Tim M,[p]
    Tim do you make pewter goblets on your egg in your spare time. Could melt a lot of lead at those temps.

• David Richer, I'm sitting here kind of wondering about what your intents are with the firebricks and the high temps (600*+) I'm not sure anyone uses firebricks above the 550* temp range. I think Spin does (or maybe he uses another pizza stone) as a heat deflector for his pizza baking. Following his lead I use firebricks as heat deflectors for baking pizza as well but do not use bricks as deflectors at temps above 550*. The higher temps (700*+)are reserved for searing meats and deflectors would be a hinderance. But, hey, I'm just a neophyte egger and maybe someone else will drop in to affirm/refute what I have said.[p]RJH

• Tim M
    MAC,
    I realize that was a snide crack but that's OK. You may not know that the Egg does go to 1000+ deg quite easily and safely. I normally sear my steaks at 700-800 but many go to 1000 regularly to sear theirs. No - no goblets - don't know what pewter melts at either.[p]T[p]

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Tim M, you are absolutely right - the NY Strips that I made last night were seared at 900-1050 degrees before the temp was shut down for the final 5 minutes. For pork chops (tonights dinner) I usually keep the searing temp between 600-700 degrees.[p]

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ Site[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    BackyardBob,[p]Mary bakes bread using firebricks. She cooks in the 600F range. I am just a neophyte baker and still learning. I use two stacked pizza stones for pizza. On the large I use a setter/pizza stone and on the small I use two stones with firebrick spacers to get the top of the stone above the lip of the EGG so the peel is easy to use.[p]Spin

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Spin,[p]"I am just a neophyte baker and still learning." [p]Yeah right! You can fool some of the people some of the time but you're not fooling me. I know all of your credentials are of the highest standards so cut the modesty :~)

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    David Richer, [p]I first introduced the use of the firebricks in cooking in the BGE to the forum and is limited use from that time to the present. There have been suggestions that by using the firebricks there may be a off side chance of damaging the BGE.[p]First..let me say that the use of the firebrick's is for the most part confined to 400 degrees F or under. When making Pizza, it is only necessary to use them as supports for raising a second grill to or above the rim of the lower shell of the BGE.[p]If one proposes the theory that adding the firebricks causes a higher than normal build up of heat in the lower chamber, then one would also have to propose that the small eggs are non functional for the same reason. It doesn't hold water IMHO. Compacting the heating chamber has no affect on the lower units. ie: mini BGE, small BGE, and medium BGE are all smaller in fire compacted burning arena than the large.[p]The use of Pizza stone in the BGE consequently would have the same affect as firebrick's/and or plate sitters in those theories.[p]As with anything else, to go to unneccessary extremes in the use of firebricks is detrimental to the efficiency of the end result of the cook your trying to achieve and the the consumption of charcoal fuels to achieve the end result.[p]Use only the amount of firebricks that you would need to protect the majority of the drip pans or bread pans your wishing to use. Leave adequate air portage venting around the firebricks to achieve top fuel efficiency and still broil or bake your product.[p]I verified my thoughts with BGE, and they also find no reason for concern as the BGE is heat tested to beyond 1600 F degrees and the chances of attaining heat to those levels is very unlikely.[p]Cheers...Fred aka Char-Woody[p]

• Char-Woody
    Cat, Your correct..sorry I am late but just read your post after posting to Dave up above..Still think you should patent that smile..it's great! BTW..when you party at the TIM M's function..protect your ribs..:-)
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    MAC, I have melted aluminum 1/4 inch rods in experimental design's in the bge. Yep, you can use it as a metal forge also, but its design is for food only. :-)
    C~W[p]

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Char-Woody,[p]I have had my large BGE for about a year now and fully agree with your post. I am a high temp user (or abuser as some would say (hush NB)) and my BGE has many times had temps upwards of 1200*. I believe in achieving the highest temp possible for searing my wonderful steaks which beats anything you can get in any eating place. Cooking with firebricks could in no way exceed the temps I have attained as they would prevent the heat from ever reaching those extreme levels. Besides, what would you ever cook with ceramic mass under the dome that would need temps over 600*? After countless burns at these extreme levels, my BGE stands without damage of any kind other that a cracked and broken firebox which I know will be warrantied upon my request. [p]Although I don't use firebricks I do have a plate setter and pizza stones which would have the same effect as the bricks in situations that call for the use of these nice tools. I credit C~W for introducing this wonderful concept to the accessory family of the BGE and I have every doubt there is anything that would substantiate that they would cause harm of any kind to the egg family.

• Char-Woody
    Bob, Thanks..good common sense!![p]I use 2 to 3 of the 4 inch wide x 9 inch long firebricks on edge giving me the perfect height to set another grill on which I place the pizza stone. [p]The bricks offer very minimal restriction to the heat, and the stone is now in the upper dome area far enough that no other bricks are necessary on the lower grill. [p]You can run the 400 to 600 degree baking range for pizza very nicely and achieve top results.
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Bob,[p]Thanks for the confidence vote. I didn't intend to fool anyone. Bread (and using the BGE for baking) is a whole new world of wonder that I can only view with awe. I have taken the plunge into this world and have learned much. The most I have learned is in understading how much I still need to learn. All of the recipes I made in the oven are much better in the EGG. I still can't make a decent white bread.[p]Give me an e-mail so we can communicate again.[p]Spin
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Tim M,
    What blows my mind is that BGE thermometer!! It occasionally needs a little adjusting, but with the temp extremes Mr. Thermometer sees, it is amazing how well he keeps telling the temps accurately!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • My first paragraph in my post above is a misquote.. The bricks are 1.25 inches thick, 4 inches wide, and 9 inches long, made if 2000 degree ceramic material by U.S. Stove Co. Place on edge they present only 1 1/4 inch x 9 inches of material to the fire, yet support at three points for stablility the upper grill on which rest's the 3/4 inch thick BGE pizza stone. It works very well for this BGE bum chef! Gonna click into a different pizza tomorrow (Maybe) for trials.
    Dang but it's cold in Iowa...brrrrrrrrr!
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Nature Boy, Same here.. I checked my pair of thermometers after some 6 months of use, and the were off only 2 smidgens, which is about 3 frog hairs thick..give or take a half frog hair :-)

• Tim M
    Char-Woody,[p]Did a whole battery of probe tests last week (6-8 total) and they all varied some. The BGE thermometer was off a deg or three but not much. Not bad for 6+ months since last calibration.[p]Tim