Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Big Green Egg ? to buy or not to buy

Options
I Love cooking on my LBGE and I would like to take it with me on vacations and I have once but its just so darn hard to load it in the truck. I was thinking of buying a mini since its light and easy to transport. I was wondering if anyone has one. What are your likes and dislikes? Is it possible to do a slow smoke over 10 hours because i know it doesn't hold that much cole? What are the prices. when I am home I can use it for bake potatoes. What is the average cost with eggessories like the plate setter and basic stuff? 

Comments

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    @ChadEggHeadEst2014,

Not sure I have all of the answers you are seeking but, I too, recently picked up a new Mini and I can share a few thoughts...

First: it will be great to transport. While it is not heavy, it may not be light depending on who is carrying it. For me its a non-issue but Im not sure I would turn my wife loose with it for too long 
    :D

What I like about it is how fast it comes up to temp compared to the larger eggs. 

It comes up to temp incredibly fast... but then again that should be simple physics.

It is great for dogs for the family, chicken for three, a pork loin, or two 16OZ steaks (4 smaller filets), and 3 or 4 baked potato's depending on size.

I bought the Woo from the CGS (ceramic grill store) and the 8.5 inch pizza stones off of Amazon for heat deflection. I think total I was in the eggcessories for a bit under $100.00.

As I just posted in another thread, the minis are far more than a novelty.  They are grilling machines.

Hope this provides at least a little help.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This is so easy to travel with. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ChadEggHeadEst2014
    Options
    How much is the egg??

mcmac said:
    @ChadEggHeadEst2014,

Not sure I have all of the answers you are seeking but, I too, recently picked up a new Mini and I can share a few thoughts...

First: it will be great to transport. While it is not heavy, it may not be light depending on who is carrying it. For me its a non-issue but Im not sure I would turn my wife loose with it for too long 

What I like about it is how fast it comes up to temp compared to the larger eggs. 

It comes up to temp incredibly fast... but then again that should be simple physics.

It is great for dogs for the family, chicken for three, a pork loin, or two 16OZ steaks (4 smaller filets), and 3 or 4 baked potato's depending on size.

I bought the Woo from the CGS (ceramic grill store) and the 8.5 inch pizza stones off of Amazon for heat deflection. I think total I was in the eggcessories for a bit under $100.00.

As I just posted in another thread, the minis are far more than a novelty.  They are grilling machines.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited October 2014
    Options

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mcmac
    Options
    How much is the egg??

mcmac said:
    @ChadEggHeadEst2014,

I guess it depends on where you buy it, but I would say to expect to pay anywhere from the mid $300's to $400 for the egg. Accessories will be additional of course... I've outlined what I paid above.

However, as I have said earlier, I truly believe it is worth every penny. I also have the Medium and the XL... this is why I feel comfortable saying the Mini is worth the price of admission. It won't do multiple briskets or rib racks or pork butts, but it has its place in our everyday cooking arsenal. If you pull the trigger you won't regret it.

Hillsboro OR
  • mcmac
    Options
    SGH said:
    What @SGH said....   You know... they say SGH is "The Man"   :-c

Hillsboro OR
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Lots of mini ambassadors here. mickeys posts and pics 2+ years ago got me to buy mine which was my first experience with an egg. Added a large since , great combo.
    Seattle, WA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I guess I'll be the Debbie downer. I like my mini but it's not even close to worth $400. I bought mine used for $150 and sometimes think that's too much. It's just too mini for most average cooks. The small is small but I find it big enough for most average meals and still can be portable. You might want to look at the Vision Cub. Same size as the mini and people were picking them up for just over $100.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I just picked up my Mini a couple of days ago. I found a good deal on it and made an impulse buy - I didn't really need it. I have only cooked on it twice. So far, I wouldn't pay the nearly $500 for a Mini and nest (with sales tax). Maybe my feelings will change with time. I do plan to learn to cook on it and take it with me on the road when I travel for work. I really miss egging when I'm on the road and restaurant food continues to disappoint most of the time. 

I have started to pay a lot more attention to the Mini threads on here so I can learn the "tricks of the Mini" that the diehards use. I've seen some great cooks off the lil guy. Overall, I'm excited about it and I'm looking forward to my first steak off the Mini - from what I've read on here, that's supposed to be the bomb!

I'm trying to figure out some work-arounds rather than buying another $100 worth of Mini eggsessories. In the end, I'm sure I'll get my use out of it and have some fun along the way. I tend to agree with @WeberWho? regarding the size of the SBGE as it is just a very versatile cooker but a bit harder to transport than the Mini. I took the Mini to my BIL's for its first cook - I really like how quickly it cools down after the cook compared to the SBGE. As we all know, BGE has answer to many of our "issues" coming in the next month or so.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I'll be an upper
    $500 well spent \:D/
    In 2 years easily over 100 cooks non this thing. My $1k large get that much use....nope.
    Seattle, WA
  • ChadEggHeadEst2014
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I was wondering is it possible to do a slow smoke with a very small butt over 10 hours? I know the mini does not hold that much lump charcoal.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I was wondering is it possible to do a slow smoke with a very small butt over 10 hours? I know the mini does not hold that much lump charcoal.
    You can get in that ballpark. I believe R2Egg2 did one +/- 2 hours. I can't remember if it was 8 or 12. I am planning on this because my local grocer carries these 3-4 lb butts that would fit perfectly. I still need to get the indirect accessories, though.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I doubt you'd put anything big enough to require 10 hours.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ChadEggHeadEst2014
    ChadEggHeadEst2014 Posts: 43
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the link good to know.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1170011/mini-butt-without-ceramic-stone-or-ps#latest

This is the link. He stated it took 7 hours for a 4 lb butt.

• henapple
    Options
    I've only had mine a week but have probably saved the better part of a bag of lump. I keep pushing it to see what it will do. Meatloaf in a Lodge loaf pan last night...around 2 lbs. Had to pull the fire ring, grid, woo and ps. Worked like a charm.
  • bbqlearner
    Options
    Buy it! It's the best decision I ever made and it's come to use plenty of times when traveling for camping, picnic, cookout, beach etc.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    I got 8 hours at 250.you will love it its my favorite egg.
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    Now the problem is the mini-max is supposed to be here in Nov--is it a better option than the mini--especially with the built in stand/carrying rack with handles?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    henapple said:
    I've only had mine a week but have probably saved the better part of a bag of lump. I keep pushing it to see what it will do. Meatloaf in a Lodge loaf pan last night...around 2 lbs. Had to pull the fire ring, grid, woo and ps. Worked like a charm.
    Remember the best lump comes out of your large.......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I still like my mini as compared to mini-max mainly because of the weight difference.

I can see people who are previously leaning towards buying a small changing and deciding on mini-max for portability. On the other hand, mini is its own class so I wouldn't compare mini to mini-max as each brings something different to the table. Mini is lighter (heard it's around 30 lbs or more difference) and price ($150-$200 cheaper) while mini-max offers more cooking space.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• ChadEggHeadEst2014
    ChadEggHeadEst2014 Posts: 43
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Wow I like that price difference. I have read somewhere on this site that the mini max will not hold as much lump. I am guessing that would not be good for a long slow smoke. It sounds like a better deal but with a few sacrifices. Do you know how much cooking space it will be?
    I still like my mini as compared to mini-max mainly because of the weight difference.

I can see people who are previously leaning towards buying a small changing and deciding on mini-max for portability. On the other hand, mini is its own class so I wouldn't compare mini to mini-max as each brings something different to the table. Mini is lighter (heard it's around 30 lbs or more difference) and price ($150-$200 cheaper) while mini-max offers more cooking space.

• henapple
    Options
    Mickey said:

henapple said:

Remember the best lump comes out of your large.......

That's what she said. . :-SS