Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Best Bread Machine?

Options

The wife wants a bread machine for her birthday.......which one is the best?

I seem to remember the Zojirushi brand getting pretty high ratings.  Good bread is the 1#, but I also don't want one that's loud, bulky, or just a general pain to operate--because then it's just going to be another thing taking up space in my kitchen.

Thanks! 

Comments

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    My brother swears by this one :Zojirushi BB-CEC20
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    I Googled Best Bread Machine and found this Panasonic unit reasonably priced and well made.
    http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/SD-YD250 The one mentioned above was also rated very high but cost twice as much. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    By a good mixer and make your own-----------More versatile, more fun.....Bread makers are limited to well, bread.....A good Kitchen Aide will do so much more, Bread Pasta Sausage Pastry ........Just my opinion, I do a lot of Pastas breads Cakes , you name it etc, the Kitchen Aide never leaves the counter
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Bustersdad
    Options
    We have the "Z", use it for bread and pizza dough.  It is big, but we love it.
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    I have a "Z."  It makes bread, cake, sour dough and meat loaf. (Best banana bread ever!)  Model BB-CEC20
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I also have the Zo BB-CEC20. I does a nice job I guess. Quite large. I would rather have my $200 back. Just don't use it enough. What a surprise... It's like buying an exercise machine!

One thing to consider; I really don't like the shape of the loaf or the overdone and thick crust (sides and bottom). Also, the paddles that bake into the loaf. The solution is to use the machine to prep the dough, but to bake the loaf in a standard loaf pan in your oven or egg. Which is like using the bread machine as a, umm, mixer. Eh?

Here is a blog extolling the virtues of using it in just that way. I no longer bake with the Zo. It's a pita, but the bread is much better. http://www.salad-in-a-jar.com/family-recipes/5-surprising-reasons-i-dont-bake-bread-in-my-bread-machine

If I had it to do again, I'd pass.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I also have the Zo BB-CEC20. I does a nice job I guess. Quite large. I would rather have my $200 back. Just don't use it enough. What a surprise... It's like buying an exercise machine! One thing to consider; I really don't like the shape of the loaf or the overdone and thick crust (sides and bottom). Also, the paddles that bake into the loaf. The solution is to use the machine to prep the dough, but to bake the loaf in a standard loaf pan in your oven or egg. Which is like using the bread machine as a, umm, mixer. Eh? Here is a blog extolling the virtues of using it in just that way. I no longer bake with the Zo. It's a pita, but the bread is much better. http://www.salad-in-a-jar.com/family-recipes/5-surprising-reasons-i-dont-bake-bread-in-my-bread-machine If I had it to do again, I'd pass.
    That was a good read. Thanks Q.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    I have a Breville and have never had complaints about the bread made in it.  I don't like the fruit feeder since the dough seems too firm when it adds to do a good job incorporating.  However, I added the fruit and nuts at the beginning last night and had awesome Cinnamon Raisin Pecan bread for french toast this morning.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    No bread machine reviews on consumer reports website. After breakfast sandwiches is breast pumps.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Good bread is so easy to make that I can not see why anyone would buy a bread maker.  they are generally limited in what they can make and many are very difficult to clean.

Using it to just make the dough is also silly since you are spending a lot of money and only using part of the machine.  Like someone else said, get a Kitchen Aid mixer and use it to make the dough if you can't make it yourself.  You can also Google the NY Times no-knead recipe and make some great bread with that..  I have made about 5 different types of breads using modified versions of that recipe.

My daughter was given a bread machine and used it a couple of times and hates it because it is very hard to clean.  She has gone back to making it by hand and is happier with the bread and gets much more satisfaction from doing it herself.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Shiff said:
    Good bread is so easy to make that I can not see why anyone would buy a bread maker.  they are generally limited in what they can make and many are very difficult to clean.

Using it to just make the dough is also silly since you are spending a lot of money and only using part of the machine.  Like someone else said, get a Kitchen Aid mixer and use it to make the dough if you can't make it yourself.  You can also Google the NY Times no-knead recipe and make some great bread with that..  I have made about 5 different types of breads using modified versions of that recipe.

My daughter was given a bread machine and used it a couple of times and hates it because it is very hard to clean.  She has gone back to making it by hand and is happier with the bread and gets much more satisfaction from doing it herself.
    It's called "time". Yes, bread making is easy but takes time. With a bread machine, one can dump the ingredients in and walk away, returning to fresh bread. Without it, people that need the convenience won't bake bread at all. Indeed, it is an inferior product to standard production but it is still better than store bought.   
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Hand mixed...dutch oven on the egg.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    $200 for a breadmaker? You can buy a helluva lota bread for $200!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Kitchen-Aid mixer with dough hook, bought at a garage sale for $4 about 16 years ago and still using it for just about everything that gets done.

Especially good, with wire whisk attached, at making butter.

I worry that the bread machine will get used a half dozen times, then "temporarily" put out of the way, and then get dusty and forgotten. Like the juice machine, salad spinner, waffle maker, espresso maker, and the not to be forgotten because "I told you so"... overly expensive Vita-Mix Blender.

About a thousand dollars worth of **** she "had to have" and only gets occasional use now. 

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    That's 50 weeks of store bought for me.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I have a Zojirushi BBCC-X20. Works well. One issue with the Panasonic mentioned above, and some other brands, is the shape of the loaf. They are not your traditional shape which may be important to you. If the wife wants a bread maker, get her one - don't tell her to make it by hand. For everyday sandwich bread, I always use the bread maker. For more artisan styles, pizza dough, and flat breads I usually use the bread maker's dough cycle and finish in the stove or egg. Sometimes I will use the KA mixer to knead the dough. Like all automatic kitchen appliances, you give up some control and ability to influence the end product in exchange for ease of use and convenience. I really enjoy waking up in the morning smelling baking bread.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    SoCalTim said:

Actually, not that much. And none that is low sodium. And none with my gift certificate that had to be spent or lost. But thanks.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options

It's called "time". Yes, bread making is easy but takes time. With a bread machine, one can dump the ingredients in and walk away, returning to fresh bread. Without it, people that need the convenience won't bake bread at all. Indeed, it is an inferior product to standard production but it is still better than store bought.   
    That was us when we got it.  You could dump the ingredients in, walk away or go to work, and have fresh warm bread with dinner.  Better than your average store loaf, but not as good as a high quality bakery.

My wife uses it occasionally as a mixer.  Some recipes are mix, wait, knead, wait, knead some more or something like that.  She sets the timer and it handles that w/o having to come back to it.

Overall, I agree that there is a high likelihood that it will be used for a bit then up in the back of the closet.  However, if the wife wants one for her birthday and this isn't a budget buster, get it.  Birthday's are for splurging on things like this.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I store my breadmaker in the garage because it is so big.  But it gets pulled out 2 to 3 times a year for making pizza dough or making homemade bread.  Yes, the bread has a funny indent/hole in the bottom slices from the paddle.  Yes, the loaf is different shaped than store bought.  But for me, pour in the ingredients, program it and forget it, is so worth it.  Without it, I doubt I would ever make my own pizza dough, and for sure, I would never attempt to bake bread.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• pescadorzih
    Options
    We have a breadmaker, not sure of the brand. It was an inexpensive one. The wife uses it every once in a while to make the bread dough. Lately she has been using the Kitchen Aid mixer.
    As far as pizza, Jim Lahey's pizza dough recipe is so easy. 5 minutes in a bowl and then let it sit for a day or 2.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

What @Eggcelsior said -

When I have company coming fresh bread is always a hit - and it is the easiest part to make with the bread maker - less than 5 min to weigh the ingredients, set the timer and walk away.  Also it is easy to clean up - 2 bowls (flour/sugar/salt/milk pdr/gluten, and one for yeast) + bread maker pan and that's it.

My daughter is 5 years old - She will get enough preservatives and crap in food in her life so when I can I make a loaf for her lunches/breakfast etc.  I can set it the night before and she has fresh bread in the morning. Have you read the ingredients in sliced bread lately?

These are the two biggest advantages I see and why I wanted one - the delay start/automatic function means I get fresh bread with little to no work and the loaves are preservative/additive free and very little sodium/sugar. 

Now I've started messing with various recipes - like Sweet milk bread for breakfast, cinnamon raisin bread, and soon sourdough (need to make a starter).

I enjoy it and leave it on the counter (even though it's big) to encourage using it.

I recommend you get one of these with it... http://www.amazon.ca/Progressive-International-Adjustable-Bread-Keeper/dp/B001BB2LMM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413294194&sr=8-1&keywords=bread+box+plastic

I can make bread and it is still fresh (enough) after 4 days for toast.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    I have a old Toastmaster Bread Machine that we got about 20+ years ago. It works great an makes some good bread to have with te homemade soup I make. We also use it to make dinner rolls by using the dough cycle and I have used it to make butter as it has that cycle also. It get used in te winter months most of the time. Now for making bread with a mixer they work very well. Have made some Gonnella style rolls with ours as here in Missouri they don't have that style roll available. It takes two days to make them as they are a two step process but they were awful good with some Italian sausage and marinara sauce. It is handy and easy to use and makes some pretty good bread.
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    I just started making the Artisan bread in 5 minutes a day, family absolutely loves it, and it really is easy. I have tried the bread maker route and have been unimpressed at best. I use the baking steel in the oven, reaaaallly easy and delicious.
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    We bought the Zojiruhi BB-CEC20 (http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-BB-CEC20-Supreme-2-Pound-Loaf-Breadmaker/dp/B002XVUAOU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413304678&sr=8-2&keywords=zojirushi+bread+machine) also.  I have never regretted that decision, or the money spent.  We buy bread flour and yeast at Costco.  We use this thing multiple times per week.  We use it for pizza dough, cinnamon rolls, dinner rolls, and of course bread.  It's very versatile, very convenient, quiet, sturdy.  We haven't bought bread in over a year.