Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Comfortable minimum lump quantity?

Prompted by another thread but going into winter (northern hemisphere) what is the minimum quantity of lump you are good with?  I set the low-level alarm at around 100-120lbs but that's not driven by a supply issue.  I can get lump year-round.  Others?
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    120 lbs if a bad snowstorm is imminent. 40 lbs any other time.  I don't have a lot of storage space and supply has never been a pressing issue for me either.  If I used a brand of lump I could only get once a month It would be closer to 300 lbs I would guess. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I like having one unopened bag if supply is not an issue. If I use the medium, I get a lot of cooks from a bag, so I don't see a need to carry inventory if I can restock easily. Now that I'm using Rockwood on group purchases, I need a few bag reserve since GP timing can be unpredictable.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited October 2014
    I get my door dinged whenever I say this, but I panic NOW when I get below 400 pounds of lump on hand and run out like a druggie looking for a fix. I have yet to to over 800 - but 760 and 780 is my normal refueling stopping point! LOL!!! It all goes back to nearly 14 years ago and only having about 25 pounds to last me 3 months way back when lump was not a common commodity to be purchased! But even now not all sources carry it over the winter, but I also stock up when it goes on sale which is more often than you might think. To each is own...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I was down to one 17 lb bag of RO about a month ago. Bought five bags then. If I run out, I have a stove.

Or, I could drive to Peoria.

=))

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
     I have only been able to source RO up here in the GWN. Thanks to a heads up from @Skiddymarker about Lowe's having a sale on lump, I picked up 2 pallets, (40 bags per pallet) A friend of mine wanted 10 bags so that left me with 30 for my self. 529 pounds. Now I don't have to worry about lump over the winter. Thanks Skiddy, feel free to remind me next spring. ;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    When the bag gets down to about 1/3 left, I go buy another bag.

:-S

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I'm with @RRP. I get worried when inventory dips below 400 lbs. I have a shade under 600lbs at the moment. I went a little nuts stocking up on lump over the past year or so. Currently have Rockwood mostly, Fogo, OO, RO, B&B, and a bag of BGE brand too.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    When I open my last bag, I click on firecraft.
    NOLA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I try to keep a few hundred pounds on hand at all times. However I do have back up in the event of a disaster. I have the good fortune of having a Weber ;) that will burn wood in a pinch!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    The 50 to 100Kg range is just about where I sit most of the time, at least six 8Kg bags and not usually more than 12. Right now it is RO and Maple Leaf. 

@smokesniffer - you are most welcome - keep an eye out for those sales - pass it on if you see something. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Whatever @henapple‌ should bring. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    About 10 bags min. On hand. When I get there I order 20 bags from firecraft.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • GFS lump made by RO is plentiful year round and I have a GFS store very nearby. I stocked up on RO when Tractor Supply had them on clearance in August. I'm still burning that.
    Flint, Michigan
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    We have year round availability, so I  usually just wait until I have 1 or 2 bags left. However, I stock up when I run into a clearance sale.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• When I get down to 3 or 4 bags of RW I start getting nervous.  I tried the firecraft route twice and both times bags were 1/2 dust, so now I have to take a small road trip and load up from a dealer who I've had great luck with so far.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    This will be my first winter with the egg, but I am able to get RW when ever I want from my dealer so I don't sweat it. I try to keep an extra bag on hand just encase I need it and its Sunday.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    The 50 to 100Kg range is just about where I sit most of the time, at least six 8Kg bags and not usually more than 12. Right now it is RO and Maple Leaf. 

@smokesniffer - you are most welcome - keep an eye out for those sales - pass it on if you see something. 
    Will Do!
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    100 plus pounds usually. Not usually over 200 pounds. My parents have a place in Arkansas and they come through twice a year and bring me some OO at $5 a bag but I am going to start pushing them to bring me as much as they can carry. If I could get them to bring me 20 bags each time I could have lump for the year for $200.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I buy RW when I'm IL on one of my sales run, with that said I try to keep atleast one month supply and in winter months because I travel less I will hit 200lbs easy.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Really never thought about it but you bring up a good point. Living in Alaska it is eggspensive to have things shipped here and I'm sure that our sole dealer here doesn't keep as much as @RRP , @caliking or @badinfluence. Hell, there probable isn't that much stock in our state than what these three guys are holding. 

Guess I better get with the program. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I'm comfortable down to about 5 pounds. I live about a mile from a Home Depot, Lowes, and GFS. Easy to pick up more whenever I need it.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Lit said:

100 plus pounds usually. Not usually over 200 pounds. My parents have a place in Arkansas and they come through twice a year and bring me some OO at $5 a bag but I am going to start pushing them to bring me as much as they can carry. If I could get them to bring me 20 bags each time I could have lump for the year for $200.

Wow. Seriously? 5$? Is that from local dealers or is there some kind if special deal involved?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Lit said:
    $5.00 a bag for OO... that just aint right!  Man, I would have a serious stash if I could get that deal.
    I just recently bought some OO and I have to say that I love the product. Same with Rockwood.

XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    @tridogdude‌ try fire craft and choose overnight shipping. It's cheap I live in hawaii and it's cost me 10$$ to ship 20lbs of rockwood.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    I'm waiting for FOGO to go back on sale before I stock up again.....
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    I have been getting lump from GFS (made by RO) it's 13.99 a bag but if you buy 5 or more its 11.99 plus I always get a 10% coupon via email for signing up. It work fine for my needs and I always buy 5 when I am down to 1 or 2 bags left.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    @jeremiah @mcmac There is a grocery store in Arkansas called Harps that sells it for around $5 a bag. When I went out there to visit them 2 years ago it was under $5 a bag. OO is made right in that area so there's not all the shipping charges added.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I'm down to 40# RW. I'm getting twitchy. Normally I'll try to keep at least 100#
    That being said it's readily available here so, I don't sweat it too much.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I guess I'm the odd man here. When I get down to 1/4 of a bag, I go buy a new one. Unless I'm doing a low and slow or I happen to see it on sale. Never had a problem finding it here in Dallas.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Lit said:

@jeremiah @mcmac There is a grocery store in Arkansas called Harps that sells it for around $5 a bag. When I went out there to visit them 2 years ago it was under $5 a bag. OO is made right in that area so there's not all the shipping charges added.

That's incredible. Once my camper is finished Arkansas might now be included in a road trip. :)]
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.