Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My egg story

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I guess most of you did some research and just bought a BGE. My story has to do with Hurricane Katrina.[p]My in-laws live on the North Shore in Louisiana. For those of you from other places, "North Shore" means the north shore of Lake Ponchartrain, a 30-minute drive from downtown NOLA.[p]Anyway..the in-laws evacuated from the area ahead of Katrina. Went to Arkansas, Memphis, etc, staying in hotels as long as they could. Of course, they were always welcome here, but there was a caravan of family that eventually scattered. So, "mom and dad" ended up at my place and stayed a good long while. I mean a GOOD LONG WHILE. There wasn't any gun-play, but things were tense at times.[p]My father-in-law, on the day before they left to go back to Louisiana, said "Get your truck. Let's take a ride." I had no idea. I thought we were loading up stuff for their trip back. So we drove downtown, went in the store, loaded my BGE in the back, tears in my eyes. It was a thank-you present for their stay.[p]Just wanted to share.

Comments

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Hank,[p]Was he hoping for better food on his next stay? Just kidding, that is a great thank you gift. Congratulations.[p]E
  • HighCotton
    Options
    Nicely done. So... what are ye gonna cook??
  • Q-Scoop
    Q-Scoop Posts: 59
    Options
    What a great story. Are you going to name your Egg Katrina? Catherine
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Hank,
    Thank you for sharing that beautiful story. Tears in my eyes as well......

• TulsaMurph
    Options
    That's great! I take it this is your first egg, did you know much about the egg before? My brother-in-laws got me interested and I am glad they did. It makes for a useful and fun hobby. One of the neatest things about the egg is this forum, it makes the learning curve pretty short.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Hank,
    What a great thought, hope you were all on good terms after their departure. Living with extra people in the house can be troublesome, especially when it's family. You did good and they sure did appreciate it. Here's hoping the best for them in the future.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Hank,[p]Very nice. Good folks abound everywhere. Welcome to the forum.[p]John

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Hank, That is a GREAT story and something that you won't forget anytime soon. Hurricanes bring out the best and the worst in families. We lost EVERYTHING we owned when Hurricane Andrew crushed our Homestead, Florida home back in 1992. And of course we were grilling outside most every night for four months as we didn't have electricity of running water for 110 days! Too bad I didn't know a thing about a BGE back then![p]Enjoy your BGE![p]Ed McLean

• Eggecutioner and everyone,[p]Thanks for the replies! And yeah, I might just pour a beer over the egg and christen it "Katrina." Nice suggestion.

• eddiemac,[p]I was in Baton Rouge for Andrew!! I know you folks got the worst of it for sure, but we didn't have power for almost two weeks!! My house was LITERALLY the last house to get power in the city. I finally used a 12-pack of beer to bribe a line crew from Tennessee to hook up my meter. Sure could have used an Egg back then!