Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm hanging a chicken too

Options
2»

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    How about biggreengallos.com?? Lol. =)) thanks again for the comments yall
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Great job! I like the creative juice Nd that is one nice looking bird!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Count me in the group interested in buying one! May I make a suggestion? For sake of both shipping and storage could the upright be hinged so that it could be folded flat one way, but when upright it stands securely?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Way over the top dude!!! Very well executed.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Jeremiah
    edited October 2014
    Options
    RRP said:

Count me in the group interested in buying one! May I make a suggestion? For sake of both shipping and storage could the upright be hinged so that it could be folded flat one way, but when upright it stands securely?

@RRP‌ If you're serious Ron I'll send you one. @cazzy said he wanted one too but I'm still not sure that guy really exists. :-?? :D
  • RRP
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    @RRP‌ If you're serious Ron I'll send you one. @cazzy said he wanted one too but I'm still not sure that guy really exists. :-?? :D

oh I'm serious! Just give me a couple minutes to send you my info.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Ive got one of these laying around, might give it a try. image
    Jacksonville FL
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I guess I don't understand. How is this different from a beer can bird? Nice looking chicken, but a beer can is the same isn't it?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

I guess I don't understand. How is this different from a beer can bird? Nice looking chicken, but a beer can is the same isn't it?

For the egg, it is pretty much the same.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Jeremiah
    Options

You're right. It was fun though. :D
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Carolina Q
    On the egg there is no benefit. I stated this is my original post when folks inquired about it. However on a Unit with some size where you can hang in the center and be far enough away to totally eliminate reflective heat it does have some great advantages. You are now cooking with the draft only. No reflective or radiant heat. What this accomplishes is, skin that is the same all the way around. The egg is to small to get far enough away from the ceramics to reap these benefits. On the flip side, the egg does such a good job of producing poultry that there isn't much room for improvement. One of the mechanisms that the egg uses to cook is reflective heat where as on a vertical that's not the intent. You will not notice any difference if you hang on a egg. On a massive vertical you will. Hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Carolina Q On the egg there is no benefit. I stated this is my original post when folks inquired about it. However on a Unit with some size where you can hang in the center and be far enough away to totally eliminate reflective heat it does have some great advantages. You are now cooking with the draft only. No reflective or radiant heat. What this accomplishes is, skin that is the same all the way around. The egg is to small to get far enough away from the ceramics to reap these benefits. On the flip side, the egg does such a good job of producing poultry that there isn't much room for improvement. One of the mechanisms that the egg uses to cook is reflective heat where as on a vertical that's not the intent. You will not notice any difference if you hang on a egg. On a massive vertical you will. Hope this helps my friend.
    I hear you, but even your ham picture the other night whetted my imagination of re-smoking an already cured ham. I never buy a spiral cut one and I hate the heavy skin that is left on a common commercially sold ham...if I could trim that layer off and smoke it more myself I think it is worth the try. Besides that I do want to try hanging a yard bird myself to see if we like it better! Not everyone's taste buds agree! OK?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother there is nothing wrong with hanging in the egg. Actually it's quite fun hanging meat in any smoker. My only point is that there is a big difference in the skin of a chicken hung in Unit 1 versus one cooked on the grid of Unit 1. On the egg there will be no difference. Trust me. It's something I have done hundreds if not thousands of times.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    Options
    Ronnie, go to Academy and buy this. Basically the same thing, cheapo. $4.99.
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Man, that looks good!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Awesome. Chicken looks great. :-bd
    +1 for selling them. I think you can advertise the chicken hanger on the forum unless your planning on trying to sell matching t-shirts. :D
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming