Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Cast-Iron Grate...Now What?

Options
Uncle Phil
Uncle Phil Posts: 669
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought a Cast-Iron grate from my BGE store today and had a couple of questions. First any prep before cooking, i.e. seasoning it, if so how? and second this sucker is soooo heavy my grid-lifter stresses to pick it up. How do you lift this in and out of the Egg.[p]Thanks,[p]Uncle Phil

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Uncle Phil, I have never seasoned mine. I only use it for steaks and tri-tips which naturally season it and I keep it in the plastic bag it came in. I install and remove it by using my Lawn-Ranger Wiggle Rod to lower or raise one side and then pick it up with my hand. When it's cool of course.

• Fishkiller
    Options
    Uncle Phil,
    I coated mine with cooking oil and placed it in the egg at @250 for @4-5 hours then let it cool in order to seal it. We made these to lift ours with... in the second pic I was not able to place it properly because I was cooking at the time but the notch in the lifter straddles the center bar of the grate. I can lift the grate when it's hot to throw in some wood chunks or whatever with this grate lifter.[p]100_0319.jpg[p]100_0320.jpg[p]fishkiller

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    fishkiller,
    OK, what kind of gasket is that on your egg? Granted, I have not had mine long enough to wear one out, just wanted to know if I'm missing out on a new toy. Looks like something we use for a gasket in a furnace. And that is a good design for a grate lifter!

• BurntOfferingBBQ
    Options
    Where can you get a cast iron grate?
  • Fishkiller
    Options
    ronbeaux,
    It's a Rutland gasket thanks to Ron Pratt (RRP). I replaced my original with it. Drop him an e-mail an I'm sure he would be willing to fix you up when you need one.
    fishkiller

• Uncle Phil
    Options
    fishkiller,[p]Thanks. I really like your great grate! Did you make that?
    I don't have the tools or knowledge to do such work.[p]Uncle Phil

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    Sigmore,
    I got a cast iron grate from my wife for Christmas. Used it three times before they initiated the burn ban in Oklahoma.[p] I just use my grid lifter from BGE... the one you use on the stock grate. It seems to work fine, but the one in the post looks like it would be better suited. It's just that I don't have one of those, and the stock one... I already own!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    Uncle Phil,
    if you season it, it will just burn of with the first steak sear. you could just cook some sausage on it if you just have to season it. my lawn ranger tool works fine for lifting it with 2 hands, one farther forward on the steel. pick it up closer to the center, not on the outer edge

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it