Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Max at Eggtoberfest

Options

Comments

• RickyBobby
    Options
    If that price includes the carrier along with a platesetter ... I think it's a fair price. Not great, but fair. I will still buy one when they become available. Love the size and portability of it! They will sell.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Anything can happen but I don't think that they will kill the mini off anytime soon. Why? It's the number 2 seller world wide for BGE. Second only to the Large. It would be unwise to kill the mini at this point. Just my thoughts my friend. If they kill the mini I will start cooking cooking entirely on my JOE Jr. in protest.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    $600 is too high. I suppose some might pay it but I predict a price drop once the unicorn effect passes.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt‌ I see a price increase on all other sizes so 600 will be cheap. :))

Either way I will get one.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Carolina Egg Head
    Options
    A sucker is born everyday! I will never pay that price.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt‌ I see a price increase on all other sizes so 600 will be cheap. :)) Either way I will get one.

LOL, I think you are correct. That would also make the 2XL look like a better deal..... In regards to the mini max, I would love to have one of these purely do to the portability aspects of it all. I'll bet many of you would like to take your cooking on the road, to friends and family, so you could receive more accolades about that and also enjoy your own cooking away from your back yard. Many wii pay the retail price to do it. They are going to have to cut the price by 100, and throw in a platesetter to get me into a new one. Dave
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    Somewhere between "you get what you pay for" and paying a premium for a perceived "best"product, lies a value proposition that many people (if not most) of average means typically seek. For me the $600 price-point for the Minimax fills neither when compared to another, like-sized portable ceramic cooker available. Those that choose to spend the additional for the Minimax vs. another brand certainly have every right to do so, but for the majority of buyers the price-gap between the two is hard to ignore, or justify and will likely prove to be detrimental to the sales figures of this product. Maybe the additional profits gleaned from the extra price of those that do pay the additional will make the accountants happy, but the "halo" effect on the brand is likely to take a hit by 1) not welcoming NEW BGE customers into the base via the Minimax, and 2) demonstrate a pompous, price-snobbery on the company's part forcing many current customers to look outside the brand in effort to cost-justify a $600 cooker when there are others for 20-30% lower prices. I'm sure it's a great product, all BGE cookers are. But....so are other up and coming manufacturers. Im not certain the marketing gurus at BGE understand the evolving marketplace and field of competition they compete against, because they haven't priced a competitively featured product, competitively.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

When looking at a Mini, adding a plate setter, and adding a $150 - $200 "EggCarten" the Mini Max isn't such a terrible value proposition.

You get the added bonus of the increased cooking diameter.

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I was told they'll phase out the small and mini, and will give a credit towards a max for further warranty issues after heir production stops. But that was just a dealer, not bge.
    Wow, so if my mini cracks, I probably get say $100 to $150 (just guessing) in credit towards a Minimax, which brings it down to the price of a KJ Jr (which comes with free heat deflector and  stand).   If this is true, I'm done with BGE.  
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

Odie91...keep calm my friend

The price will drop based on the retail market dropping after the initial demand surge. I do like the carrier. Much cleaner and non intrusive

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Whirly
    Whirly Posts: 30
    Options
    I think $600 is a fair price for what you are getting. I don't care about other products that have been on the market for only 2 or 5 years. What value is a warranty, if a company goes out of business? Worthless. BGE has been at it for 40 years. They must know something by now. School of hard knocks. I am going to get one. Glad the minimax is here.
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    Whirly said:
    I think $600 is a fair price for what you are getting. I don't care about other products that have been on the market for only 2 or 5 years. What value is a warranty, if a company goes out of business? Worthless. BGE has been at it for 40 years. They must know something by now. School of hard knocks. I am going to get one. Glad the minimax is here.

^That's called "FUD*" in sales....Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. Oldest technique there is. Works on some, not others. I won't offer my opinion on who buys that line or not, but I'm not one of them. I look at it from a glass half full POV....competition is good for the consumer. Business is an ever-changing landscape. (*certain American car salespersons USED to employ FUD sales techniques that about certain Japanese cars....)
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • deekortiz3
    Options
    I am still excited but my excitement after seeing the pictures and price has dropped a bit. If the Plate-Setter is included, I think the price over the KJ Jr. isn't a deal breaker. 

I was hoping that a foil Pie Pan would be able to be used as a drip pan. Judging by those legs on the Plate-Setter the clearance won't be there. I'll have to wait to see it in person and look at what kind of clearance there is between the Plate-Setter and grid. Hopefully, it is a bit more than it appears in those pictures.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    So lifetime warranty on a small BGE means a credit towards buying a new mini max?  That's funny.  Removes the lifetime warranty argument that is so often used.  I was considering one of these things, but I think I am going to watch from the sideline on this one.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I saw these at EGGtoberfest and at the Mothership. While I don't have a use case for it, I can see plenty of reasons to want one. I was told on my visit to the Mothership that a lot of restaurants are using Minis, but would like more grill area in a unit that can sit on a counter. A couple comments about things I've read here: - I always laugh when people call Apple buyers sheep. These so-called sheep seem to be pretty bright: Macs often have lower Total Cost of Ownership vs initially less expensive computers. Also, Apple products often have the highest Customer Satisfaction ratings over other devices in their category. So to me, lumping BGE in with Apple wouldn't be a bad place for BGE to be in their industry. - While I feel for people who own the Mini or Small if one or both of them are discontinued, I don't think this throws out the lifetime warranty argument at all. When I heard about this coming new product, my first question was: which existing product is it replacing? Whether we like it or not, a company can't be expected to keep a product in it's line forever just because it was offered with a lifetime warantee. I also think the law requires them to keep spare parts available for a certain number of years after a product is discontinued anyway. So there should be some time for people to see how the MiniMax performs and to decide what to do. I think in this case BGE is making a good faith effort towards honoring the lifetime warantee in the best and only practical way possible. Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options

I hear there is going to be some weiner cooking on one in Lynchburg here in a couple weeks. I may have to swing by and check it out.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    If they discontinue the mini and effect my warranty I would officially sell all my eggs and go KJ. Might do that anyways.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Is it fore everyone no its not. Is it for me damnstrait it is. :D

eggs are expensive no matter what size you buy that is a fact. I work hard to be able to afford a few luxuries in my life and eggs are just one of the things i enjoy and personality am looking forward to the 1st 1 my dealer gets in as it already has my name on it.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    For those that were able to see it and even better, cook on it, a couple questions:

How much lump can you get into the Max? and how much meat will fit under the dome?

Thanks!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Whirly said:
    I don't have an MBA or anything, but a track history of success does not necessarily foretell the future.  It can lead to complacency, arrogance, stubbornness.   Look at General Motors (which should be gone, if not for our generous tax dollars), Sears, Kmart, Woolworth, Montgomery Ward.   Should I name more?

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Please....name more. :)
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    odie91 said:
    Whirly said:
    I don't have an MBA or anything, but a track history of success does not necessarily foretell the future.  It can lead to complacency, arrogance, stubbornness.   Look at General Motors (which should be gone, if not for our generous tax dollars), Sears, Kmart, Woolworth, Montgomery Ward.   Should I name more?

^^^Most excellent summation^^^
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    OK, I've been trying to stay out of this... but I can't.... :D

So I will pose two questions.

Seems to be the MSRP is $598. How many here have actually paid MSRP for their eggs?

There has been no actual discontinue of the Mini and/or Small. Why judge on a rumor?

That is all, carry on. :D

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    ^ ding ding ding ^
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Umm, I think it's safe to say that every egg size is for you.   :D
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Judging on a rumor and "they better not or here's what I will do" are much more fun! 8-|
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Damn y'all. I didn't mean to start a bad rumor. That was speculation from a dealer-- no more. Everyone chill. \m/
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Judging on a rumor and "they better not or here's what I will do" are much more fun! 8-|

Be careful or you might end up with a nickname like 'spoon'
  • badinfluence
    Options
    cazzy said:

Umm, I think it's safe to say that every egg size is for you.   :D

I think you may be correct...but I'm not like a addict or anything like that...i can quit anytime I want...yeah i can....well....maybe I can.... :(

Clinton, Iowa