Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

20lb of wings, what to do with them

Options
Just found out we have 20lb of wings coming for a football party/political event. Need some ideas on what to do with all of them. Want to marinate some, dry rub some. Other ideas?

Indirect is the plan, and I want to try some lollypops also but I need flavor and sauce ideas. I do all mine with a bourbon glaze, but need to do some other flavors to do also. Sauce recipies would be awesome.

No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
Eggheads Everywhere Map
Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    The last lollipops I did were around 20# or so. I think around 100+ wings or otherwise 200+ lollipops. With that many you could do what I did and it worked out pretty nicely...1/3 lil sweet & lil heat, 1/3 sweet glazed & the last 1/3 hot. I'm sure whatever you decide they'll be a hit.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Melhill3
    Melhill3 Posts: 41
    edited October 2014
    Options
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    For a sweet and salty glaze (aka like Teriyaki)  I like Yoshida Sauce.

For spicy, you might try Jamaican jerk (walkerswood is most excellent), but you might want to limit how many you flavor like this if your expected clientele aren't into flaming hot spices.

For a mild taste, a simple dry rub of salt, pepper, onion & garlic powders, and paprika and some spray butter.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• erniemcclain
    Options
    TK-- make sure to some with Mickey's.  I have some extra if you need.  I also have a big bottle of the seasoning that Sam's Club puts on their rotisserie chicken if you want some of that.  Wish we could be there next week but both my daughters and their hubbys will be here and we are going to Deadwood.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    I just picked up a lb of Ancho at Penzey's in Omaha. So a batch will be made when I get home.
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    :( I truly miss Nebraska! The Good Life.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    How did they come out? Pics.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Duckhook18
    Options
    I use a pseudo version of the Super Smokers recipe from "Peace Love and BBQ". I toss the wings in a rub of Seasoned Salt, Garlic Powder, Black Pepper and Onion Powder. Then indirect at 325 until done. I toss in a sauce of 1 cup Sweet baby Rays, 1/4 cup honey and 3/4 cup Frank's Hot Sauce. I combine and heat the sauce for 30 minutes on low before tossing the wings. Back on the smoker for 15-20 minutes to set the sauce...good luck!
    LBGE Knoxville, TN
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    These are on tap for the Husker game next weekend brother @NPHuskerFL. Also have Tri-tip ans ribs going on. Don't know how many eggs we will have rolling. They sold the XXL that we ran at the Cattleman's Ball, so I hope we have enough cooking space.  Don't know what we are rolling out there.

Sorry, have been on the road to Omaha this weekend with my sister.  Stopped in the orchards of Nebraska City and picked up some sauces I want to try.  Going to give @Duckhook18 suggestion a run and some Mickey's
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
  • MIgreenegger
    Options
    lots of smoke --- hickory -- cherry puts a great flavor on them and roll them in Cholula and butter or Tabasco and butter or Franks red hot and butter. Butter makes everything better. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    These Wings at EGGTOBERFEST were fantastic. I'm going to do them Saturday

Ingredients:

2 lbs Wings (preferably fresh)
    3 Cups Water
    1/4 Cup Kosher Salt
    1/4 White Sugar
    3 Tablespoons Red Pepper Flakes
    6 Cloves Fresh Garlic - Peeled/Smashed
    2 Tablespoons EVOO
    4 Tablespoons Dry Rub (they had their own brand. I'll use Dizzy something)

Brine:

Combine cold water, salt and sugar in large bowl and whisk until fully dissolved. Add pepper flakes, garlic and wings. Cover. Refridgerate 4-8 hours. 

Remove wings, pat dry with paper towels. Place wings in fresh bowl, coat w/ EEVO. Liberally apply Dry Rub working into all crevices

Indirect, 325. Use fruitwood chips (apple pecan or cherry) and smoke for approx 1 hour 45 minutes. 

Remove Wings, set up Egg for direct. Place Wings on Grate for 3-4 minutes unit skin is crispy. Remove and let rest for 10-15.

This is from JBQ from Pittsburgh. They were likely the best wings I ever had short of my favorite, $3 Cafe here in Atlanta. Juicy with a sneaky gentle heat. 

P.S. They used Jumbo Wings. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• konablue50
    Options
    I absolutely love this recipe. The sauce is on the thinner side but it's very tasty and has decent kick depending on how much fresh jalapeno you put in the sauce

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/aint-no-thing-butta-chicken-wing-recipe.html

Gordon
    South Florida
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    If you have a Nando's Peri-Peri restaurant or have the sauce available at your local grocer, throw them on the grill.  We once did them with 3 different sauces on the grill (I have an XL). Nando's, Jack Stack (of Kansas City fame) and Sweet Baby Ray's.  Plus a fried chicken recipe that uses cornstarch instead of flour with a honey/Sriracha glaze.  Those were GREAT!!! as were the other 3 grilled versions.