Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old to the New - Woo Hoo

Options
Well the Old and the New LBGE, won't look like that very long.

Now the learning begins and I've learned so much (probably enough to #$%# things up and hell of lot more to go) just in the last few days from all you folks here.

Getting a bacon-wrapped filet ready for my bride and a nice New York for myself going shortly.  Tomorrow is a rack of St. Louis ribs.  I also bought a 8# butt along with the rest at this great meat market here in Fresno, CA.  

More pics to come, can't wait to get it going.

LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Congrats, and have fun!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    The gasser is a great place to store egg stuff. Congrats.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Welcome! Enjoy the journey
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    bo_mull said:
    The gasser is a great place to store egg stuff. Congrats.
    Not a bad idea, my bride won't be able to complain cause I have too much $%^& on the patio until I get my table built.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Welcome
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    Welcome. Now get that thing dirty.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• logchief
    Options
    Thanks for all the welcomes.  These things rock, I was amazed at the ability to control temp and I didn't have a clue WTF I was doing.  Here's dinner tonight and the flavor in the steaks was amazing just BGE charcoal and I was able to get it just rare enough for my bride.

They told me at the shop not to crank it up to 700+ the first time out to make sure the gaskets are sealed so I kept it at 500 and the meat came out great.  This was fun, wasn't quite sure at first getting it started, but what do I know.  The learning is going to be a gas and an epicurean delight.

Why TF didn't I get one of these 10 or more years ago.

Can't wait for the ribs tomorrow.
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

welcome to the addiction...

You'll have to get a Thermapen

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• DoctorMojo
    Options
    Welcome and have fun!

Southern, Tennessee

LBGE, MBGE  

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice job and welcome!  You can sear the bejesus out of steaks with a low fire if you pick up a little (like 10" grill grate) from Home Despot and lay it right on the burning lump.  Also, you can do a "cave man" where you throw the steak right on the burning lump.  No risk to the gaskets (I don't believe there is anyway if you give them an hour or so to cure). 
    Options
    Welcome. Your retirement just got a whole lot better. Looking forward to your future cooks.

Careful, this site is just as addicting as the egg.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Welcome. I like your line up of cooks. I would include a spatchcock chicken in there too! Once you master temp control there will be no stopping you. Oh yeah, get a Thermapen and don't put the meat on until the smoke flows clear or smells good. Congrats. You will be blown away by how much better your food will be over the gasser. BTW, don't tell any one but I still use my gasser for hot dogs or a quick burger.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Welcome, those steaks look amazing. Have fun.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Welcome, nice to see someone close, I am in Visalia
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • gridlock
    Options
    Welcome, Great start on your cooking journey. The steak looks good.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Strong start right there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • logchief
    Options
    Nice job and welcome!  You can sear the bejesus out of steaks with a low fire if you pick up a little (like 10" grill grate) from Home Despot and lay it right on the burning lump.  Also, you can do a "cave man" where you throw the steak right on the burning lump.  No risk to the gaskets (I don't believe there is anyway if you give them an hour or so to cure). 
    I saw a picture of that small grate being used on here, maybe yours.  That's a good idea, especially grilling for just the two of us.  Don't think caveman would fly with the misses.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Welcome to the cult. WARNING: You will lose some friends because they will get sick of hearing you brag about the BGE. :D Nice job on those steaks!! Looks terrific!
  • logchief
    Options
    jhl192 said:
    Welcome. I like your line up of cooks. I would include a spatchcock chicken in there too! Once you master temp control there will be no stopping you. Oh yeah, get a Thermapen and don't put the meat on until the smoke flows clear or smells good. Congrats. You will be blown away by how much better your food will be over the gasser. BTW, don't tell any one but I still use my gasser for hot dogs or a quick burger.
    Thanks for the tips.  I'm gonna keep the old gasser for just that reason, actually going to tear it down and referb it. Guess I'll be making another trip to Amazon today for a Thermapen.

And thanks everybody else for the warm welcomes, this place will be addicting, so much good info and advice along with great folks.
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Welcome!!! Awesome looking steak and nice pics to go along.... You'll love cooking on it...enjoy!
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    logchief said:

Now the learning begins and I've learned so much (probably enough to #$%# things up and hell of lot more to go) just in the last few days from all you folks here.

Getting a bacon-wrapped filet ready for my bride and a nice New York for myself going shortly.  Tomorrow is a rack of St. Louis ribs.  I also bought a 8# butt along with the rest at this great meat market here in Fresno, CA.  

Let me just say that "for my bride" sounds so much more respectful than SWMBO (an acronym I loathe). Much respect to you sir.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride.... IMHO: Cooing has never been so fun.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options

Here is my old:

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • logchief
    Options
    Hibby said:
    logchief said:

Let me just say that "for my bride" sounds so much more respectful than SWMBO (an acronym I loathe). Much respect to you sir.
    Yup at just over the top of 60 she's still my bride.  Guess I don't want to know SWMBO
  • logchief
    Options
    smbishop said:

Here is my old:

That's a fricken classic.  Wife and I had a discussion this AM about when I was going to buy/build one of those nice egg tables so all my "#$!% wasn't strewn all over the patio with the new egg.  I just showed her the pics and she wasn't impressed.  I laughed my ass off when I first saw those pics, that's something I'd only do once around here.

It does look functional and quite ironic.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Functional for sure. :)  Some day I'll have that outdoor kitchen.  Not interested in a custom table...  :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • logchief
    Options
    smbishop said:
    Functional for sure. :)  Some day I'll have that outdoor kitchen.  Not interested in a custom table...  :)
    I can't disagree, I just want to cook.