Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

lump doesn't last

edited 3:40PM in EggHead Forum
I have had the egg for over two years and I can't get over 2 months per bag of BGE lump. I only use it 2-3 week and I don't do much smoking, either. I always close the dampners right away as well.
The brochure says 4-6 months at 2-3 per week. Am I doing something wrong here? Should I clean all the build up off of my rotating metal lid? Does air sneak in and slowly burn it out? It does stay hot (aprx 150-200F.) for a couple hours after dampners are both shut.
Don't get me wrong, 2 months is a long time to last, but it is over 50% less than I should expect.
Lasty, the BGE makes me feel like a grilling KING when I have guests over, how about you? Everyone should have one of these things.
Thanks for the input,
Kreg N.

Comments

• JimWJimW Posts: 450
    Kreg N. ,
    The brochure lies. You're not doing anything wrong at all. Also, if you do a lot of high temp cooks, you'll go through it fairly quickly.
    JimW

• JimW,
    In the summer I go through 100 lbs of lump in about 3-4 months. I say big deal for the quality of foods I cook. 'By the way I use a large BGE. No complaints here.[p]Groillin Bill

• GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    Kreg N. , a local newspaper ran a story on the BGE and used the 4-6 month per bag of lunp - I just kind of smiled - I go through a bag of lump evey 2-3 weeks. Best thing to do with the BGE manual is to put it in a special place (where you may never find it again) that will be safe - then come to this forum for help. Good luck!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ [/ul]
  • SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    Kreg N.,[p]I'm not sure the brochure says used 2-3 times a week, though it did say 4-6 months per bag.[p]It is either a very large bag of lump or I'm having the same problem you are. I average about a bag a month year round. It sounds like your Egg cools down as it should and all is well on your home front.[p]Let's agree that we do enjoy cooking on the Egg and tend to use it much more than the "average" used to produce the brochure :-).[p]Spin
  • TeslamaniaTeslamania Posts: 144
    Kreg N. ,[p]I use the "rain cap" and not the metal top when I shut my egg down.

• Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    Kreg N. ,[p]Since I got my Egg about 20 months ago - I have always written the date I opened a bag of lump on the bag so I can track how long it lasts. I never have seen the 4-6 mo claim that you mentioned, but if its in the manual/cookbook then it can't be trusted. I use a bag a month in my large but sometimes it went 3 weeks. Since I got my small I use it 80% of the time and I do almost all grilling on it. My lump now lasts an easy 2 months per bag. [p]The 4-6 month claim must be like the auto companies claim for gas mileage -- all conditions must be perfect and the magic has to be working. [p]Like Jim said, you're doing nothing wrong. [p]Tim
  • bdavidsonbdavidson Posts: 411
    Gfw,
    Yes. I go through a bag every 3 weeks during the summer. The only way 20 lbs of lump would last me 4-6 months would be if I were...gasp...separated from my egg for that long (God forbid)!
    bd