Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak...how I do it!

Options
13»

Comments

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    You laugh @cazzy. Maybe a cookbook is out of reach. But a YouTube series isn't. "Cooking with Cazzy". Got a ring to it.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I've always thought it silly to sear on the egg. I have a gas stove outside and do all my searing in CI on that burner. I never cook steaks that are less than an inch and a half so I always finish in the egg to bring it to temp slowly for the finish though.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

So is it the CI you prefer or the getting away from lump or both. I ask because I could consider using the CI half moon griddle for steaks. I am pretty happy with my caveman but if I am missing out on even better, I sure am willing to find out about it.

It's the cast iron, but I always prefer whatever is easiest. With that being said, lighting up the egg for a steak cook is more time consuming when I'm doing a couple steaks. Your half moon would work, until it's time to baste.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    Options
    cazzy said:
    You can always use the egg as a heat source for the CI pan.

If I was to use the egg as a heat sucre, what temp would I shoot for to stabilize the egg?
    I may need some help on this as I never do this. I would guess around 550-600, but let's see if someone seasoned responds.
  • cazzy
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I want to point out to everyone that hasn't done this before. Your pan is hot, so have your steak seasoned and ready to drop before you add your oil. Since you're only using a little oil, it doesn't need time to come to temp. If you don't immediately drop your steak, you risk your oil igniting if your pan is a lil too hot. It's also very important to plan for the worse and stay calm if it does ignite. Have a lid ready to snuff the fire. Remember, NO WATER.
  • Sixpack1
    Options
    @mcmac I use a CI on my mini all the time. Pan gets very hot, very fast. Be sure to have a glove if your going to handle the pan while cooking a steak using the cazzy method...
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• cazzy
    Options
    Sixpack1 said:

@mcmac I use a CI on my mini all the time. Pan gets very hot, very fast. Be sure to have a glove if your going to handle the pan while cooking a steak using the cazzy method...

Yep, use a glove for sure.

Also, this is not my method, just a technique I prefer that has been used by chefs for numerous years.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    Haven't done a cast iron steak yet but my family prefers cast iron burgers over grilled/egged burgers any day.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    Haven't done a cast iron steak yet but my family prefers cast iron burgers over grilled/egged burgers any day.
    I love griddled burgers over any other method, probably die to my grandfather. He always did them this way when I would visit on weekends. On the other hand, I typically grill steaks due to the way my dad made them growing up. I do love a pan fried steak though, the crust is unmatched. The biggest hurdle is smoking up the house for me.
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    jhl192 said:
    cazzy said:
    You can always use the egg as a heat source for the CI pan.

If I was to use the egg as a heat sucre, what temp would I shoot for to stabilize the egg?
    I was at 400-450 dome and that seemed to work decent. I did it while the pan was sitting on the indirect piece. Dave
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    1st time steak cooked in cast iron. Tasted as good as Bones, Chops or Hal's here in ATL. Thanks @Cazzy!!
    Used the Egg, tasted great!!!
  • Lowflyer
    Options
    Pictures don't do it justice. I'm sold!
    The wife questioned why I had the CI skillet, I said just wait... She's on board!!
  • cazzy
    Options
    @Lowflyer‌ I'm glad it worked out for you man. Steaks look great! It's good to see another egghead get converted. :)@Jeremiah‌ joined this week too! :P
  • Lowflyer
    Options
    Grill marks look great, but tasting as good as the most expensive steak house in city= Priceless!!!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Looks great, @lowflyer you coming to eggfest?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Sorry, I ONLY use my egg. I'm making boiled eggs for breakfast right now followed by lasagna kissed with hickory smoke.
  • TurtleTiger
    Options
    I have done quite a few steaks on the BGE but it is the only thing I've gone back to cooking on a stove in a CIS. I can just cook a steak as desired easier this way. I always put a little bacon grease in my skillet and yum.
  • Lowflyer
    Options
    @JRWhitee‌ unfortunately not. A 3yr old and 5 month old limits my travels. Looks like the weather is clearing up to be a nice day down there.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    It looks a lot like Gordon Ramsay's method on YouTube. Oh, I prefer the name KC strip over New York since it was created in Kansas City. Just my personal opinion. :D
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • cazzy
    edited October 2014
    Options

It looks a lot like Gordon Ramsay's method on YouTube. Oh, I prefer the name KC strip over New York since it was created in Kansas City. Just my personal opinion. :D

Yep...it's pretty much the same technique used by almost every professional chef out there. It's not a secret by any means...just wanted to show some folks that mistakenly think the egg is the best at everything.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited October 2014
    Options

Steps on How To Cook a Steak with Gordon Ramsay: http://youtu.be/rEx9gPhtjzs

It's an excellent method that produces consistent results. And @cazzy‌ nailed this one. I prefer this method also. However, I like to incorporate it in the egg. However it's done it's delicious with a beautiful crust.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I just prefer the charcoal flavor from the egg. This method could be done on the egg I believe. I have a gas range and CI skillet so I could do it, but may try it on the egg or the range sometime. I have had stakes at resurants and prefer them when they are grilled over pan frying. Many ways to cook a good steak and this looks good.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options