Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Green Egg Mahogany Table Question

Options
I just pulled the trigger on the Green Egg Mahogany Table and a table nest for my LBGE.  I was planning on purchasing a granite tile or paver to put the table nest on just for added protection but the salesman said it really wasn't necessary as the nest itself will prevent scorching or something worse.  Any thoughts or recommendations from the experts?  Thanks in advance for any input.

Comments

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    By no means an expert but the table nest will be fine.  Just need air flow underneath to prevent problems.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • TylerA
    TylerA Posts: 85
    Options
    I have the table. I do not have a paver and it looks fine. I just have the nest.
    LBGE
    Huffman, TX
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    Thanks guys I can't wait it arrives Thursday! I can then turn the POS Cypress BGE table that now leans causing constant fear that it will collapse on the next cook into a gardening table for the Mrs. This one appears to be sturdier and pre-stained and sealed!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would put a radiant barrier down under the nest. it will reflect most of the heat back up to the egg and keep the wood shelf much cooler, although I don't think there's any risk of fire from radiant heat, it will also help if embers fly out of the bottom vent.  This can be as simple as a sheet of aluminum.  Even aluminum foil works.
    Options
    You can get aluminum foil at Walmart. ..right @nolaegghead‌?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Bayarad
    Options
    Thanks NOLA the dealer was concerned that if I went with a granite paver and a nest it would elevate the egg too much in the table and possibly create tipping issues! Not so sure I am concerned about that just want maximum safety as it all sits on my cedar deck! I will look into a thin aluminum tile as well!
  • Bayarad
    Options
    Henapple you funny and I'm only a mile from WallyWorld!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    So, you are worried about scorching your new table yet you are putting the whole thing on a wooden deck. Some still do that I guess. I saw pics of one too many deck/house/table fires and moved mine to a stone patio. Eggs break, sparks fly, embers pop. Building a fire on a flammable surface is just foolish.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Congrats on the new table, I make sure that I have 5/8 of an inch all around my egg between wood table, and I also keep a large abc fire extinguisher near the egg in my garage, just steps away in case of a fire.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Bayarad
    Options
    Thanks all for your advice! @Carolina Q I agree and would love a stone patio but not in the budget at the moment! Nevertheless I keep a fire extinguisher and garden hose handy and monitor all my cooks so I feel relatively safe! Three years without incident though I have had an occasional forearm hair burning fireball!
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Ahh the I forgot to burp the egg now I have lost all arm hair on the prodinant arm lesson. Don't worry a good majority of us have done the same.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!