Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Beer Advice

I don't get out much and the beer selection in my area is limited.  After seeing Hacker Pschorr Octoberfest in the drinking now thread, I've decided to take a small road trip next weekend to get some Rockwood Charcoal and stop in at a real Beer and Wine retailer.  Would like to try something different also.  Suggestions please.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    There is only one beer maker. image
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Jeremiah said:

There is only one beer maker. image

Lucky bastard. I can't get it in iowa.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    What kind of beer do you like?
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    edited October 2014
    If you're looking for an Oktoberfest/Mazen beer, a few good ones in your area would be

Great Lakes Octoberfest
    Victory Festbier is pretty good.

Troegs makes a great Christmas ale (Mal Elf) Don't think it's out yet (mid October).
    Southern tier Pumpking  and Warlock (Pumpkin beers)
    Gordon Beirsch Oktoberfest 

You have a pretty good distribution in your area. If you use http://www.seekabrew.com/distro/index.html you can see what's distributed to your state..
    Aurora,OH
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I've never had Yuengling before. I will have to try it. I will have to look for it. I like New Belgium and our local brew Boulevard in KC.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    I like just about anything SHINER makes (but not their Shiner Cheer holiday beer).

Anything by Sessions or Full Sail is also good.

Lots of great beer out there.  Depends what style you like.  Folks are all up in arms crazy about IPAs these days, but that's not my cup of tea.  I like a smooth Lager, Ale or Guinness.

The Fall Pumpkin ales that are out are mostly pretty good.  I had this one last week and it was faaaaantastic -

LBGE/Maryland
  • What kind of beer do you like?
    It's easier to mention what I don't like, cause I'll try anything once.  Don't like the super stout beer or the heavy wheat beers, but all others are pretty much in play.

• If you're looking for an Oktoberfest/Mazen beer, a few good ones in your area would be

Great Lakes Octoberfest
    Victory Festbier is pretty good.

Troegs makes a great Christmas ale (Mal Elf) Don't think it's out yet (mid October).
    Southern tier Pumpking  and Warlock (Pumpkin beers)
    Gordon Beirsch Oktoberfest 

You have a pretty good distribution in your area. If you use http://www.seekabrew.com/distro/index.html you can see what's distributed to your state..
    Thanks for the suggestions.  I looked at the website and I'll bet most of those are upstate VA.  Down in my little neck of the woods I've probably seen maybe 25% of the list and tried them all and there are a few local microbreweries in the area that make some good beer, just want to branch out a bit.

• CeeGeeW
    CeeGeeW Posts: 113
    Try a California micro brew .. I would suggest Sierra Nevada.
    Los Angeles, CA
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Try to find Innis & Gunn. Any flavor

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Moving into the colder months, you're going to see mostly ales and dark brews like porters and stouts from the craft brewers. There are year-round offerings as well, so you aren't just limited to the first ones I mentioned. Regionally, there are some great brewers in the surrounding states(Ohio, NC, PA, MD, DE) but you should also see West Coast, Colorado, and New England brewers. You're best bet is asking the beer person at the shop. I'd look around online for a highly regarded place wherever you are going.

Personally, I enjoy Flying Dog, Dogfish Head, Goose Island, Heavy Seas, Long Trail, Lagunitas, Green Flash, and Great Lakes to name a few. I have had consistent luck among their entire line of beers. There are many, many more but these are some that I often see most places as they get good distribution. Stone Brewery is also very good and has just decided to build an East Coast Brewery in Richmond. This means more distribution near you and more importantly, freshness, since they are most known for their IPAs which need to be consumed fresh. 
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    @SWVABeanCounter‌ , SWMBO and I enjoy finding a store with a pub inside. You get to try new types and the folks there usually have tried most of them. Where you are located you should take a road trip to Asheville in western NC, packed with micro's. Good luck in your search.
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    there are lots of good beer out there but for everyday drinking this year its been sam adams rebel, redhook pumpkin porter, and negra modelo.. pumpkin beers were out so early this year that im seeing sales already
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    You may find beers from O'Conner brewing in Norfolk. I like them all. Dismal Swamp and Norfolk Canyon are dark and heavy. The other two, Red Drum and Green Light are lighter and better with pastas and chicken.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    sweetwater, not sure if you can get it there but they make some quality beer. 420 is excellent, been drinking the IPA lately.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Newcastle FTW! Don't be afraid of the dark.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • canman
    canman Posts: 52
    I, too, am a big fan of Sweetwater Brewery from Atlanta. I prefer the IPA if you like hoppy beers.
    Tullahoma, Tennessee.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Lots of choices but taste is subjective. Check out www.beeradvocate.com to research things you are interested in.
    Jacksonville FL
  • hercnav
    hercnav Posts: 11
    My favorite....
    Large BGE, Mini Max