Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: 5 more pints of soup to the freezer!

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
Just like squirrels gathering nuts for the winter I squirrel away various soups I make. Yesterday was a bodacious cheese & vegetable soup that is really delicious! Then when I want a pint I merely let it thaw and then put the whole bag into a pot of water and bring to a boil. This is really handy for winter time lunches. While this recipe could be made on the egg I suppose, it is easiest done on the kitchen stove. WOO WOO
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Looks good. Can you share the recipe?
  • Yum Yum, you must have one of the good vac sealers.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• RRP
    edited October 2014
    Jeronamo said:
    Looks good. Can you share the recipe?
    Sure!!! BTW the lady I got this from is an egger herself and had just turned 90 when she took my class!

GOURMET VEGETABLE CHEESE SOUP

1.5 quart water

3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced

1 small onion, chopped

2 T parsley flakes

3 cubes chicken bouillon

.5 T ground black pepper

11.5 oz bag of Birdseye Steamfresh mixed vegetables (dice the big chunks of carrots and green beans!)

2 cans cream of chicken soup

1 pound Velveeta cheese

In a Dutch oven combine water, potatoes, onion, parsley, bouillon and pepper and cook until tender. Add frozen mixed vegetables and cook until tender again. Turn off heat and add cream of chicken soup and Velveeta, cut into chunks. On low heat stir often until cheese is thoroughly melted.

I freeze it into pint quantities as we enjoy a cup of this before a nice meal. RRP

Recipe is adapted from one by Vi Jenn, Peoria, Il

• RRP
    Yum Yum, you must have one of the good vac sealers.
    No, not really - it's a 12 year old Food Saver model 1050. The secret to packaging is the steps involved. First I use a plastic cup with the bottom cut out - which keeps the top walls of the bag clear of soup. Then I fold over the tops and use bag clips to clamp them shut. Then into the freezer for about 3 to 4 hours so that the soup stiffens, but still pliable. Then seal the bags and redistribute the soup into nice flat stackable or standable packages.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Ahh that's how you do it - Thanks for the tip.  I was wondering how you sealed the bad without the soup going everywhere.  Will be doing this sometime when I make soup.

Garnerville, NY

• RRP said:
    Yum Yum, you must have one of the good vac sealers.
    No, not really - it's a 12 year old Food Saver model 1050. The secret to packaging is the steps involved. First I use a plastic cup with the bottom cut out - which keeps the top walls of the bag clear of soup. Then I fold over the tops and use bag clips to clamp them shut. Then into the freezer for about 3 to 4 hours so that the soup stiffens, but still pliable. Then seal the bags and redistribute the soup into nice flat stackable or standable packages.

Ah, that's my problem, I usually leave them overnight in the freezer.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    must be something with her age class....cream of chicken
    :)) my grandmothers veggie soup recipes always start with a pork bone
    :D looks like a good recipe
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thanks for the tip on how you vac your soup.  I will definitely be taking advantage of freezing soups like this.  With 2 young kids, my meals need to be early and quick through the week, and this will work perfect.
  • @RRP that may be the most brilliant tip I have gotten from this forum! Not a day goes by that I don't get reminded how awesome this forum is. Thanks for the soup freezing help.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Plus one on what Egghead_Daron said! Thanks @RRP.I am going to do bag up some chili sunday.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • RRP
    Thanks for the compliments - I like sharing tips and things that I know have worked for me. BTW when I said 3 to 4 hours in the freezer I should have qualified that saying it depends on the thickness and starting liquidity of the soup you make. For instance a clear broth soup I make from left over turkey is very delicious, but due to the heavy salt concentration it does not get really solid for 24 hours and even then I have to work fast to seal the bags. The key then is to drape the bag over the edge after manually squeezing out any visible air and use the manual seal quick!