Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish!!

Options
I am continually amazed how good fish is on the BGE and how much flavor it absorbs in such a short cooking time!

I usually make salmon which I did last night.  A big thick piece of salmon cooked 4 minutes direct on each side to a perfect medium rare.  Dome temp was between 350-400.  Had a chunk of hickory in there.   Flavor was incredible!

I type this as I just heated up the leftovers in a microwave and when I opened the door I was treated to the aroma of a charcoal cook.  That never happened when I used to cook it on the gasser...
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Sounds great.  I haven't tried straight indirect, I always have used planks.  Now I'll have to try this.  thanks.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Its so simple I can't see changing it.  The flavor is so good I've never bothered with a plank, even though I've heard good things.

I cook DIRECT and usually have fish with the skin on...do the non-skin side first and put it on long enough to get a nice char, then I flip it skin side down.  If it is a thicker piece of fish and it needs to stay on longer, I'll leave it longer on the skin side because the skin can take the heat without burning the flesh.

If the top of the fish looks a little dry after the flip, you can hit it with some butter or lemon or whatever marinade you may have used.  But I rarely need anything.  And as you probably know, the trick with fish is 1 flip only.  You try to squeeze in another flip, you'll end up with fish bites!  :))
    LBGE/Maryland
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    I cook Salmon every week. 400, raised direct about 14 minutes. Skin side down, no flip. I also brine for 20 minutes prior. Very tasty!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    tulocay said:
    I cook Salmon every week. 400, raised direct about 14 minutes. Skin side down, no flip. I also brine for 20 minutes prior. Very tasty!
    Hmmmm, a 20 minute brine.  Want to share that method by chance?  Sounds fun.

I love the char I get from searing the top.  How does your top look with no flip?   Sounds delicious no matter how you slice it!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    @KiterTodd‌ Simple brine of 2 quarts water and 4 tbls kosher salt. 20 min, rinse well, dry and apply DP Raging River. Since I don't flip, there is no char on top. When the fat starts to bubble on the top, I know it is time to eat. Very moist and tasty. I use either Norwegian or farm raised skin on salmon. Both from whole wallet!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Whole Wallet!   HA!   Never heard that.  Applicable....   :)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @tulocay‌, I almost hit the like button until I read farm raised salmon. I would never willingly eat farm raised salmon again. I don't know, maybe it's from spending so much time in the PNW. Preparation sounds great though.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming